Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 10:47:58 AM
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Axle problems?  (Read 2879 times)
MTsixspeed

Reputation Power: 2
MTsixspeed pfffft.
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« on: May 16, 2010, 12:27:24 PM »

I had my Neuspeed supercup kit installed in December 2007. On the first testdrive I noticed a good deal of vibration from the front, only under acceleration. This lead me to believe that the problem could be in the drivetrain and not the suspension. Not only that fact, but I rechecked the suspension and everything is kosher. I've heard of cv axle and joint problems. Apparently when they start going bad, you get vibration and clunk noises, but usually when the wheels are turned. Well, my car is starting to make clunk noises in the front, but at low speeds with the wheels in any position, usually immediately after accelerating from a stop and when the car has almost come to a stop when braking. I removed the wheels and gripped the axles and they have some play, in and out of the transmission. I'm not sure if this is normal, but it doesn't feel as if this play should be present. That is my main suspicion for an axle problem. I just don't want to pay a stealership to 'repair' the car. They're fucking crooks. I'm going to take a closer look today with a friend of mine while we also raise the suspension in the front and do a thorough inspection.

Has anyone felt a vibration or heard clunk noises immediately after lowering the suspension? Has anyone had to replace one or two axles or cv joints?

-Chris, CM81 J30A4
Rich01

Reputation Power: 20
Rich01 who is this guy?Rich01 who is this guy?
Trade Count: (2)

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2010, 12:56:20 PM »

hmmm....generally the CV joint on the axle would only clunk when you're making turns. Is the rubber boot around the CV joint broken and leaking grease? Also are ur engine mounts in good condition? This could cause vibration during acceleration.

Rich
Sworkhard

Reputation Power: 1
Sworkhard pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2010, 07:14:44 PM »

If it's the innercv joint that is bad it could cause vibration that will be most noticeable between 50-60 mph fading off above and below those speeds

[size=150]Stephen[/size]
03 Accord EX-L 5MT
MTsixspeed

MTsixspeed pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 08:39:44 PM »

Quote from: "Sworkhard"
If it's the innercv joint that is bad it could cause vibration that will be most noticeable between 50-60 mph fading off above and below those speeds

I think you could be right. I still have to get it looked at.

-Chris, CM81 J30A4
timot_one
Farts Dust

I act like I own this place, because I do!

Reputation Power: 140
timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2010, 10:04:15 PM »

I've had this issue before.  I replaced the axles and everything cleared up.  I've had remanned axles go bad in like 2 years.  I've had cheap aftermarket ones that were junk out of the box.  I'd try and get OEM if you can.

Tim
Quote from: Andrew Ilnyckyj
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
MTsixspeed

MTsixspeed pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2010, 09:48:29 AM »

Quote from: "alpha"
Quote from: "AV6NHBP6SPD"
whats T1R half shaft spacers for? what does it do
A typical problem, more so with AP1, is the car starts having vibration issues because of how the axle sits in the bucket when you lower the car.  It's hit and miss with AP2 since they redesigned the axles.  I have heard of AP2s developing the problem, but I've also heard of AP2s not having an issue.  The driveshaft spacers change how the axle sits in the bucket.

I didn't need them, and I may not have developed the issue.  But they are recommended so I just did it as preventative maintenance.

I think this is what was causing the vibration on my CM. I raised the front perches last week by a half inch and all vibration is gone! Apparently when it's lowered past a certain point, the angle of the axles causes vibration. So, that's one problem out of the way. I still hear the clunk noises coming from the front at very low speeds.

-Chris, CM81 J30A4
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal © 2005-2012