Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 03:57:24 AM
Pages: [1] 2 Last »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Both HIDs randomly go out....  (Read 5754 times)
CYANiDE

Reputation Power: 8
CYANiDE pfffft.
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile
« on: April 06, 2010, 10:53:15 PM »

So, yesterday night I was driving back from work and suddenly noticed my headlights were off (I have yellow fogs, noticed they were brighter) and about 30 seconds later they came back on. I thought it was a once in a blue moon thing, but then today leaving work again, this time right in the lot I turned them on for about a minute then they shut off. Didn't turn on in 30 seconds, so I shut them off and flipped the switch and they came right back on.

I suspect the harness, since both are turning off. I already ordered a new harness waiting for that to come in soon hopefully.

Anyone else have any ideas? Power + ground is nice and tight.

Eric.
2006 Honda Accord EX 2.4L Sedan
cna

Reputation Power: 16
cna pfffft.
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2010, 11:37:04 PM »

When i ran 55w hids they would turn off as a fail safe because where i had them mounted they would get too hot but once i started using a relay harness and mounted them in a different location where they will stay cooler it never happen again

timot_one
Farts Dust

I act like I own this place, because I do!

Reputation Power: 140
timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010, 11:49:36 PM »

Are you using a relay harness, or just a direct harness to your OEM wiring?

Tim
Quote from: Andrew Ilnyckyj
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
CrackerTeg
Farts Dust

No fucks given.

Reputation Power: 99
CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2010, 09:30:42 AM »

Quote from: "timot_one"
I've been waiting to do this for a minute. Here goes:

Reading owns you Tim.
Quote from: "CYANiDE"
I suspect the harness, since both are turning off. I already ordered a new harness waiting for that to come in soon hopefully.

As for that harness, does it have an inline fuse? Most of the ones I've seen have one. I'd check that.

"If one day the speed kills me, do not cry because I was smiling." - Paul Walker
CYANiDE

CYANiDE pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2010, 09:36:11 AM »

Quote from: "CrackerTeg"
I've been waiting to do this for a minute. Here goes:

Reading owns you Tim.

As for that harness, does it have an inline fuse? Most of the ones I've seen have one. I'd check that.

Yes, has a fuse. Fuse seems good. Both are in places I'd think get good circulation. I did notice however the ground terminal connector is slightly broken. (has 2 pins going to the circular connector that goes to battery - one pin is snapped). I don't have a soldering iron or access to one, so hopefully its an issue of a bad ground and I can get it fixed this weekend when my new harness comes in.

Eric.
CrackerTeg
Farts Dust

No fucks given.

CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2010, 09:39:28 AM »

The pin at the relay is snapped or the one that hooks to the battery? You can rule out the harness by temporarily connecting your car's factory harness to the HIDs and see if the problem persists.

"If one day the speed kills me, do not cry because I was smiling." - Paul Walker
k24low20z

Reputation Power: 6
k24low20z pfffft.
Trade Count: (5)

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2010, 10:40:32 AM »

check all your grounds and replace the 30 amp relay Head that you could get for about $8 in autozone..

timot_one
Farts Dust

timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2010, 11:11:57 AM »

Quote from: "CrackerTeg"
Reading owns you Tim.

Not quite.  Please pay attention to the text in italics.

I try to avoid making assumptions when diagnosing problems.  From experience, when statements are vague, it's best to get more information to have a full understanding of what is being used.  A harness could mean OEM wiring, it could mean one of those adapter harnesses that come with most aftermarket HID kits, or it could be a relay harness.  

I did notice however the ground terminal connector is slightly broken. (has 2 pins going to the circular connector that goes to battery - one pin is snapped).

Eric, can you take a picture of this?  If you have a bad or broken ground, that is definitely your problem.  The new wiring harness should fix it if there's damage to the original one.  Can you also clarify if you're using a relay harness?

Tim
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
CrackerTeg
Farts Dust

No fucks given.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2010, 11:24:42 AM »

Damn you Tim for picking shit apart!

Mike
Farts Dust

Fan Boys Anonymous

Reputation Power: 95
Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!
Trade Count: (5)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2010, 11:55:29 AM »

I believe you brought that one on yourself by picking shit apart.
CrackerTeg
Farts Dust

No fucks given.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2010, 12:14:41 PM »

You bring up a good point. Who's side are you on anyway? :lol:

CYANiDE

CYANiDE pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2010, 12:19:32 PM »

I did notice however the ground terminal connector is slightly broken. (has 2 pins going to the circular connector that goes to battery - one pin is snapped).

Eric, can you take a picture of this?  If you have a bad or broken ground, that is definitely your problem.  The new wiring harness should fix it if there's damage to the original one.  Can you also clarify if you're using a relay harness?

Relay harness. I know of people running to harnesses but I have one for both headlights. I'll take a picture and show you what I mean although I think I was the one that broke it pulling on it to make sure it was tight when I was checking. I can't verify it was broken before I touched it, but it could have been the case. Regardless, new harness going in.

Eric.
timot_one
Farts Dust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2010, 02:10:14 PM »

Does your harness have one relay or two?

Tim
CrackerTeg
Farts Dust

No fucks given.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2010, 04:00:35 PM »

It's possible he has the generic single relay harness that takes switched power from only one side. On account of both lights going out at the same time instead of alternately, I suspect that to be the case. I've been meaning to make a dual relay harness for myself but time has not been on my side.

timot_one
Farts Dust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2010, 04:08:22 PM »

Dual relay harnesses are the way to go.  They're not that hard to make.  I usually try to make them custom length to the car so there aren't any extra/bunched up wires.

Tim
Pages: [1] 2 Last »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal © 2005-2012