Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 06:41:39 AM
Pages: [1] 2 Last »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Could this be bad gas?  (Read 9653 times)
Rich01

Reputation Power: 20
Rich01 who is this guy?Rich01 who is this guy?
Trade Count: (2)

View Profile
« on: January 13, 2010, 09:03:01 PM »

So 2 Thursdays ago I filled up before running down to NY. While running a few errands in NY I noticed that during normal or spirited acceleration my RPM seems to be cutting back throughout the entire range. If I gradually accelerate, it doesn't happen. At first, I thought if might have been some bad gas, but I'm going on my 2nd tank of gas now with no change. Also when it does this, if I continue to push it and don't cut back it gives a flashing CEL for about a minute. Tried scanner for a code, but found nothing. A friend of mine suggest getting some fuel line cleaner, but I'm skeptical on adding anything to my fuel. Too much horror stories. What do you guys think?

Rich
slipkord
Veteran

Reputation Power: 31
slipkord is almost recognized as human.slipkord is almost recognized as human.slipkord is almost recognized as human.
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2010, 09:12:46 PM »

I had the same thing happen to me. But I noticed it on the interstate and went to pass someone and gave it half throttle and nothing happened. So I went back into my lane and gave it a little bit of gas and it was fine but like you, if I gave it alot of throttle it wouldnt go anywhere. I filled up and it went away after 20 minutes or so. I'm almost certain you've got a hold of some bad gas. Did you fill up at your normal gas station? It's possible you could have gotten two bad tanks. Def don't fill up the tank until you're certain you've gotten rid of the bad gas. Hope this helps Rich.

Jeremy
Rich01

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2010, 10:05:31 PM »

Thanks, it started after I filled up at my usual gas station so I filled up at another gas station for my 2nd fill up. I'm currently just below a half tank.

Rich
alpha

Reputation Power: 18
alpha pfffft.
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2010, 10:32:51 PM »

Definitely not bad gas.. Especially since you filled up at two different stations.  The likelihood of that is extremely rare.

CEL on bad gas is very unlikely; I had a tank of bad gas once and I never saw a CEL.

- Mark
cna

Reputation Power: 16
cna pfffft.
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2010, 10:48:10 PM »

what was the last time you change your spark plugs? when the cels came up did you feel anything like a misfire could be bad gas i would of ran a can of seafoam also what type of fuel you running 87?

Rich01

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2010, 11:28:42 PM »

According to Honda, and a few other guys I talked to plugs on the J30s aren't due until about 105K with timing belt and all those other stuff... As I mentioned, it's a blinking CEL which only occurs when I push it. And yes, it kinda does feel like a misfire

Rich
NVA-AV6

Reputation Power: 10
NVA-AV6 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2010, 05:55:55 AM »

Blinking cel = misfires, it would not hurt to pull the plugs and inspect them, but I also think you got bad gas, add some octane booster and run the tank completely out, then refil with premium.

M90SC Boosting 13PSI.....
Rich01

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2010, 06:36:13 AM »

Thanks Paul, I'll try n do this tomorrow or Saturday.

Oh, ignore 2nd part of my PM

Rich
Mike
Farts Dust

Fan Boys Anonymous

Reputation Power: 95
Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!
Trade Count: (5)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2010, 07:44:03 AM »

I'd go ahead and change the plugs also its relatively inexpensive, and may correct your issue.
cna

Reputation Power: 16
cna pfffft.
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2010, 12:11:13 PM »

my ome honda plugs had to be change at 60 k due to similar conditions it turn out to be the plugs and one bad coil.

Rich01

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2010, 07:24:34 PM »

I hear you. I'm going to be checking the plugs tomorrow at work. Today after blinking the CEL stayed on. Scanner gave me, like Paul said, misfires in cylinders 1,2,4 & multiple random misfires codes. I picked up some some NOS octane boost to put in also. Now I just have to drive this shit out and hopefully be all set in a few days. Thanks guys, I'll keep you updated

Rich
NVA-AV6

NVA-AV6 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2010, 09:24:03 PM »

Rich when you get the plugs and coils out take pics and post them please.......

timot_one
Farts Dust

I act like I own this place, because I do!

Reputation Power: 140
timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2010, 11:25:27 PM »

Paul, are the J30 and K24 coils the same?  Rich, if they are the same and you need replacements, I have 4 for sale.

Tim
Quote from: Andrew Ilnyckyj
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
NVA-AV6

NVA-AV6 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2010, 06:12:20 AM »

No, the coils are very different...

timot_one
Farts Dust

I act like I own this place, because I do!

Reputation Power: 140
timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2010, 07:53:57 AM »

Yeah, I researched the details after the fact.  It's a shame though.  I don't really need a 2nd set of coil packs, so I was just hoping I could help Rich save some money.

Tim
Quote from: Andrew Ilnyckyj
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
Pages: [1] 2 Last »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal © 2005-2012