Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 02:25:08 PM
Pages: [1] 2 Last »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Detailing on a budget?  (Read 9476 times)
ikethegreat

Reputation Power: 24
ikethegreat who is this guy?ikethegreat who is this guy?
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« on: December 08, 2009, 10:47:36 AM »

I'm basically a detailing beginner.  I've been reading up on various techniques and products, on this site and others, but I'm still not sure what exactly I should get.  I'd like whatever I buy to be good for 3-4 good detailing sessions or roughly 1 year.  I hand wash my car every week or two but I don't have the time or patience to do more then 3-4 extensive detailing sessions a year.  Oh and I'm mainly worried about exterior/paint care, not interior or wheel care.

Here is a list of what I already own:
DP auto extreme foam car wash
Maguire's gold class car wash
Foam gun (waiting for it to arrive)
Two bottles of Wet Paint
Mother's California Gold Carnauba Cleaner Wax
A bag of microfiber towels from Walmart
A bag of terry cloth towels from Walmart
Absorber synthetic drying chamois

When I do any detailing, I typically just wash -> dry -> Wet Paint or the Mother's wax if I'm in the mood.

Lets say I have around $100 to spend, what would you recommend?  I was looking at this kit.  Only thing I don't like is that there is no clay kit included which I kind of wanted and with the price of this kit, I wouldn't have money left in the budget for a clay kit.
Mike
Farts Dust

Fan Boys Anonymous

Reputation Power: 95
Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!
Trade Count: (5)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2009, 10:54:08 AM »

I would suggest this kit, they also have some specials going on for the Holidays(posted in the deals section)

http://www.detailedimage.com/DI-Package ... -Kit-P150/
clapton924

Reputation Power: 6
clapton924 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2009, 11:20:15 AM »

As a graduate student I have been able to produce good results on a limited budget.  If you are most concerned about paint protection and only detail your car 3-4 times a year you should be using a longer lasting wax/sealant.  

Basic kit:

Good shampoo
5-gallon bucket w/grit-guard
MF wash mit
Hose spray nozzle
Drying towels (waffle weave for me)
Detailing clay
Spray detailer (for touch-ups and clay lube)
Synthetic paint sealant or Collinite 845
Applicator pads
MF towels
Wheel/tire brush
Tire shine (if you like)

I can recommend more specific items as needed.
CYANiDE

Reputation Power: 8
CYANiDE pfffft.
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2009, 11:30:16 AM »

I want to do some correction and scratch and swirl removal. I don't have a PC, what can I use, by hand, to provide some good results?

Eric.
2006 Honda Accord EX 2.4L Sedan
clapton924

Reputation Power: 6
clapton924 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2009, 07:32:12 PM »

Quote from: "CYANiDE"
I want to do some correction and scratch and swirl removal. I don't have a PC, what can I use, by hand, to provide some good results?

How severe are your scratches? Light? Heavy?  If they are  medium I would get this kit:
http://www.autogeek.net/pixmtinswreb.html

If you have deep scratches you will probably only be able to remove them with a DA buffer and a heavier compound.
ikethegreat

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2009, 08:05:26 AM »

Quote from: "lavalleemike"
I would suggest this kit, they also have some specials going on for the Holidays(posted in the deals section)

http://www.detailedimage.com/DI-Package ... -Kit-P150/

I see specials for detailersdomain.com but not detailedimage.com in the deals section.  Am I missing something?
Mike
Farts Dust

Fan Boys Anonymous

Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2009, 08:34:49 AM »

The 20% off coupon code has expired but, they are offering this, and sometime today I should have a 10% coupon available from them.

giving away some awesome free products on any purchase over $60 -
http://www.detailedimage.com/blog/sales ... s-arrived/
ikethegreat

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2009, 09:12:39 AM »

Awww I wish I hadn't of missed the 20% off.  Sad
ikethegreat

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2009, 10:41:50 AM »

Quote from: "lavalleemike"
sometime today I should have a 10% coupon available from them.

Let me know if you're not going to use it!
Mike
Farts Dust

Fan Boys Anonymous

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2009, 11:12:54 AM »

You have PM
CYANiDE

Reputation Power: 8
CYANiDE pfffft.
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2009, 12:26:38 PM »

Damn. Now I want to buy a damn PC and start removing the scratches on my car bit by bit.

Eric.
2006 Honda Accord EX 2.4L Sedan
AV6NHBP6SPD

Reputation Power: 21
AV6NHBP6SPD who is this guy?AV6NHBP6SPD who is this guy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2009, 12:43:38 PM »

wait till spring if you in cold states

Misha
http://www.detailedimage.com/wax.php?id=10288&url=detailedimage.com
"Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… That’s what gets you" - Jeremy Clarkson
DetailedImage.com

Reputation Power: 1
DetailedImage.com pfffft.
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2009, 03:54:46 PM »

I actually just wrote an entire page of products that I personally find the best value by price (i.e. under $5, under$10, etc) for different areas of the car.  I reviewed every single product we carry (over 400 unique products) and came up with a list of the products that work great and don't cost too much.  I'm going to be adding it to our site probably sometime in January.  If you want I can post the list here, but I didn't want to make a very commercial looking post unless it was okay with you guys.  

For a great deal on a full detailing kit I would suggest checking out our Optimum Polish and Protection Kit (http://www.detailedimage.com/Optimum-OP ... -Kit-P354/)
It includes a clay bar, clay lube, medium polish, light polish, sealant and wax. The clay bar helps remove stubborn contaminants, the polishes remove light swirls and oxidation, the sealant provides durable long lasting protection and the wax adds more protection and gloss.  Upon completion the paint should look significantly more glossy and it will be protected for months to come.

You would need are some applicator pads, for hand applications, or buffing pads for machine applications.  I would also recommend about 10x of our DI All Purpose Microfiber Towels to hand remove the excess product (http://www.detailedimage.com/DI-Microfi ... 6-x-16-S1/).

If you have any other questions please let me know.  

Greg @ Detailed Image
ikethegreat

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2009, 08:30:42 AM »

Quote from: "DetailedImage.com"
If you want I can post the list here, but I didn't want to make a very commercial looking post unless it was okay with you guys.  

I'd like to see the list and thanks for the advice!
AV6NHBP6SPD

Reputation Power: 21
AV6NHBP6SPD who is this guy?AV6NHBP6SPD who is this guy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2009, 10:19:17 AM »

Greg. i think it would be nice if you carried Collonite stuff. 845 and 915 at least. maybe some metal polished products from them as well. ever tried any of their stuff?

just went outside and tried black wow on mirror covers and wiper holders. looks really good, wi'll see how long it lasts. ill have to check when its not 37 degrees outside

about that kit. i dont know. never tried klasse stuff. got souveran paste but didnt had chance to use it.

for 100, id get collonite 845, megs 105 and 205 (never tried yet but want to get 105 soon), thats almost 65 there. shampoo you already have, and probably 915 so thats almost 90, some good MF towels http://www.chemicalguys.com/SUPER_TOWEL ... 506_12.htm  i love those things, plus price is great. need to get 2 more packs soon

Misha
http://www.detailedimage.com/wax.php?id=10288&url=detailedimage.com
"Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… That’s what gets you" - Jeremy Clarkson
Pages: [1] 2 Last »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal © 2005-2012