Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 02, 2024, 04:06:06 AM
Pages: « First < Previous 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 42 Next > Last »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ECM Fitness Thread  (Read 168811 times)
sherker55

Boats 'N' Ho's

Reputation Power: 11
sherker55 pfffft.
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: November 20, 2009, 10:29:19 AM »

I just found out that I have high triglycerides...I had to get lab work done before my back surgery first week of Jan 2010.  From what I understand, high tri's are caused by fat and sugars not being burned when consumed, and then are changed to fats.  I have been slacking alot lately, drinking alot of sweet tea, and eating McD's when I usually don't.  when I was doin physical therapy in the spring I was at 255...and at the end of summer I was 265, and now I am 272...so needless to say, I let myself go.  My optimal weight it about 225-230.  I want to be back down to 255 before surgery.  I have cut out all drinks other than this special formula of juice blend that  I make (which I have also been slacking on not drinking).  switched my cereal to raisin bran, or shredded mini wheats.  I am also cutting my portion sizes in half, NO MORE SECONDS!  I want to give this a month and see if the tri's come down...but my doc wants me to go on Meds for it, but I want to try it with diet and exercise first.  Oh, I'll be 32 in Dec, and I'm 6'2" former high school and college athlete...I shouldn't have any problems once I apply myself.

BTW this thread is a really good idea...It's good to have a support group of individuals with similar goals

Mark

Reputation Power: 7
v6sicksspeed pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: November 20, 2009, 05:29:16 PM »

got back into the running game this week, but tonight is friday night... time for my 40oz curls.

J u s t i n
alpha

Reputation Power: 18
alpha pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: November 20, 2009, 07:37:52 PM »

Quote from: "lavalleemike"
Quote from: "slipkord"
I'm going to start up shooting basketball. I've got a new goal just sitting in my driveway, I've played maybe a few times on it. I've got a bike I need to get a new chain and tires on it, small stuff. I really need a buddy to get in shape with. Everyone I know doesnt have time or is fat. So im just screwed.

Listen DICK there nothing wrong with being fat Smiley I actually promised myself today that I’m going to at least start making smarter dietary decisions. I'm so far out of shape it's ridiculous but, I feel I should change the diet first.
Most weight loss and natural energy comes from proper nutrition.  Eating right will do a lot more for you than just exercising.  Exercise helps your body; and with the proper nutrition plan, exercise will be a vast benefit.  Exercise will not help you much if you eat like crap though.

Quote from: "sherker55"
I just found out that I have high triglycerides...I had to get lab work done before my back surgery first week of Jan 2010.  From what I understand, high tri's are caused by fat and sugars not being burned when consumed, and then are changed to fats.  I have been slacking alot lately, drinking alot of sweet tea, and eating McD's when I usually don't.  when I was doin physical therapy in the spring I was at 255...and at the end of summer I was 265, and now I am 272...so needless to say, I let myself go.  My optimal weight it about 225-230.  I want to be back down to 255 before surgery.  I have cut out all drinks other than this special formula of juice blend that  I make (which I have also been slacking on not drinking).  switched my cereal to raisin bran, or shredded mini wheats.  I am also cutting my portion sizes in half, NO MORE SECONDS!  I want to give this a month and see if the tri's come down...but my doc wants me to go on Meds for it, but I want to try it with diet and exercise first.  Oh, I'll be 32 in Dec, and I'm 6'2" former high school and college athlete...I shouldn't have any problems once I apply myself.

BTW this thread is a really good idea...It's good to have a support group of individuals with similar goals

Mark
Yup, your nutrition will be your best bet for combating your high triglycerides.  A proper, balanced nutrition plan is what is best to keep your CBC panel in check.

Do you have a history of high triglycerides?  Typically, doctors won't put you on medicine unless you have a history of it and you have tried to lower it in the past by exercise and diet.  If this is your first CBC panel with high triglycerides, you should seek for a new Internist.

Quote from: "v6sicksspeed"
got back into the running game this week, but tonight is friday night... time for my 40oz curls.
Haha, as long as it doesn't include taping those 40oz weights to your hands ;-)

I started running again also.  I think I'm fully recovered from my injuries so I'm in the process of conditioning right now.  I'm planning on training for a marathon next summer.

- Mark
sherker55

Boats 'N' Ho's

sherker55 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: November 27, 2009, 12:09:54 AM »

Mark, I'm not really sure what a CBC panel is???  I talked to my dad, and he said that he has the same, so it might be genetic...my family doc is the one who suggested the meds, maybe because my levels were so out of whack...877, 150 is normal...I can't believe that though, I am going to get them done again in a month...

alpha pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: November 27, 2009, 01:43:08 AM »

Quote from: "sherker55"
Mark, I'm not really sure what a CBC panel is???  I talked to my dad, and he said that he has the same, so it might be genetic...my family doc is the one who suggested the meds, maybe because my levels were so out of whack...877, 150 is normal...I can't believe that though, I am going to get them done again in a month...
CBC panel is typically run during blood tests.  I think I may have confused the terminology.  CBC panel is either the panel that includes tests for HDL/LDL/Triglyceride/Glucose levels or the panel that checks for white blood count and red blood count.  Either way, all of that is typically run during a physical.

Your triglycerides were 877 :-o  Wow, that is really high!

If you don't mind me asking, what's your typical diet consist of?  Is your cholesterol also high, i.e. LDL high and HDL low? There are a lot of things you can do to try and lower your triglycerides.  High triglycerides can be caused by many things, including: obesity, alcohol, and a diet rich in carbohydrates.  There are some more serious causes of high triglycerides, but hopefully it isn't any of those.  Are you on any medicine right now? Some meds may increase triglycerides also.

High triglycerides can be caused by genetics, but most of the time they can still be controlled by proper nutrition and exercise.  Sometimes they may just not help or completely lower the levels to normal range.

It's best to try eating right and exercise first.  My recommendation is to heavily limit the amount of carbohydrates you eat, limit alcohol consumption, and start aerobic exercise.  I say limit the amount of carbohydrates because the body still needs some carbs, but they have to be good carbs and not bad carbs.  If you can, don't drink any alcohol until you lower your levels.  I also recommend looking into incorporating more omega-3 fatty acids and omega-6 fatty acids.  This can come in the form of eating omega-3 enriched eggs, fish (typically includes both omega-3 and omega-6), and supplements (such as fish oil, flax seed, etc.).  Be sure to clear everything with your doctor, just to make sure things don't conflict with any meds you may be taking now.  These combined with aerobic exercise should help you lower your levels tremendously.

Medicine is a last resort, in my opinion.  You want to try to avoid taking statin drugs and/or niacin drugs.  Don't get me wrong, they aren't bad for you.  But I don't like being dependent on medicine, so if you can lower your levels naturally and keep it under control; then your body doesn't become dependent on medicine and you don't have to spend money on medicine.  But in some cases, taking medicine is unavoidable.  So if you really do need them, then you really need them.

Good luck, and get those levels lowered!

*Disclaimer: Make sure to check with your doctor about changes in your nutrition and exercise.  If you are taking medication for something else, make sure anything you take will not conflict with your current drug intake.

- Mark
sherker55

Boats 'N' Ho's

sherker55 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: November 27, 2009, 11:08:54 AM »

My wife is a health nut, so we have low fat, healthy carbs (whole grain, whole wheat), low sodium, etc...the past couple of months though, I have been eating McD's a couple of times a week, and drinking at least 2 large sweet tea's a day...I know this is what it is.  I usually never eat that crap, and have probably gone years inbetween visits....sweet tea on the other had...I love that shit! but I have cut out both completely since the blood test.  I don't drink as frequently as I used to, and now only for social/special events...maybe once a month on an annual average.  I am on meds for my back problems, I am not sure if any of them can cause the high levels.  I get a pretty regular supply of good vitamins and omega 3, minerals and such.  I have formulated a juice that I drink daily that consists of the following:  acai' berry, pomegranate, blue berry, orange, carrot, concord grape, and aloe.  the orange carrot is also contains added omega 3.  this is a great anti-oxident mixture and is great for the digestive system as well as immune.

Veteran

Reputation Power: 31
slipkord is almost recognized as human.slipkord is almost recognized as human.slipkord is almost recognized as human.
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: May 05, 2010, 09:22:12 PM »

5+ month BUMP!

I'll be 30 in 6 months and I'm pushing myself to lose weight, get ripped and healthy and overall just be happy with life. I'm on my way. And I'm fucking happy where my head is (no pun)...Check out my facebook...

Day 1 - shot basketball for 1hr

I went to the store and got all kinds of healthy foods and snacks for the week (fucking stoked!) It's nice to walk around the store with healthy foods rather than fucking doughnuts (cough mike cough)
Mike
Farts Dust

Fan Boys Anonymous

Reputation Power: 95
Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!
Trade Count: (5)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #127 on: May 05, 2010, 10:23:53 PM »

I don't enjoy doughnuts. It's a lofty goal but, I would like to lose 50 - 80 pounds but, I have to start slowly or I'll lose interest. I'm going to start by just having toast for b fast, and salad for lunch. I know toast isn't exactly healthy but, It's better than pancakes, or bacon and eggs.
alpha

alpha pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: May 06, 2010, 12:09:35 AM »

I don't enjoy doughnuts. It's a lofty goal but, I would like to lose 50 - 80 pounds but, I have to start slowly or I'll lose interest. I'm going to start by just having toast for b fast, and salad for lunch. I know toast isn't exactly healthy but, It's better than pancakes, or bacon and eggs.
surprisingly, bacon and eggs is good for you..  eggs include dietary cholesterol that is good for you, even if you eat them everyday..  Here's some good reads about it..

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f15/eggs- ... ns-772889/

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f15/20-su ... at-800135/

- Mark
Mike
Farts Dust

Fan Boys Anonymous

Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #129 on: May 06, 2010, 08:48:25 AM »

That's really surprising to me. What are some healthy snack suggestions that you guys enjoy? My biggest issue is that Bread is my absolute favorite thing to eat!
Jeff Likes Bagels

Reputation Power: 21
Jeff Likes Bagels who is this guy?Jeff Likes Bagels who is this guy?
Trade Count: (3)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #130 on: May 06, 2010, 09:15:34 AM »

What kind of bread do you eat? I don't know a lot about exercise and dieting, but I have heard that whole wheat is a lot better than white bread.

As for me, I used to have shitty snacks during school, like crackers, fruit cups, chips, etc. Then I cut down on the snacks and started having a sandwich instead. It helps out a lot with my hunger because the sandwich takes longer to digest than the snacks, keeping me fuller for longer. I used to be constantly starving during and after school.

Mike
Farts Dust

Fan Boys Anonymous

View Profile WWW
« Reply #131 on: May 06, 2010, 09:24:56 AM »

I generally eat wheat bread or rye Not really a huge fan of white bread.
slipkord
Veteran

Reputation Power: 31
slipkord is almost recognized as human.slipkord is almost recognized as human.slipkord is almost recognized as human.
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: May 06, 2010, 11:13:29 AM »

That's really surprising to me. What are some healthy snack suggestions that you guys enjoy? My biggest issue is that Bread is my absolute favorite thing to eat!

I'm a big sandwhich person, so it's going to be hard to cut out bread, i eat alot of either white or honey wheat, I bought a loaf of whole grain wheat bread yesterday. As far as healthy snacks go:

Almonds - I could eat a can of these, but only a handful will work.
spoon of peanut butter
yogurt - low fat kind
sliced turkey (no bread) - could be used as snack or meal
bananna
I always carry around a protein bar, really keeps me full and keeps me going.

That's all I can think of, freaking work is got me drowning
alpha

alpha pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: May 06, 2010, 12:06:16 PM »

Quote from: "slipkord"

I'm a big sandwhich person, so it's going to be hard to cut out bread, i eat alot of either white or honey wheat, I bought a loaf of whole grain wheat bread yesterday. As far as healthy snacks go:

Almonds - I could eat a can of these, but only a handful will work.
spoon of peanut butter
yogurt - low fat kind
sliced turkey (no bread) - could be used as snack or meal
bananna
I always carry around a protein bar, really keeps me full and keeps me going.

That's all I can think of, freaking work is got me drowning
All good suggestions..

I was going to mention, fruit, veggies, and nuts.

- Mark
Mike
Farts Dust

Fan Boys Anonymous

View Profile WWW
« Reply #134 on: May 06, 2010, 12:12:01 PM »

All things I hate but, I guess I'm giong to have to turn that around. So far today I've had wheat toast, and a salad with a little buffalo chicken.
Pages: « First < Previous 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 42 Next > Last »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal © 2005-2012