Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 10:54:04 AM
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How To: Install 6-speed Strut Bar on Sedans  (Read 7700 times)
MyNameIsThien

Reputation Power: 0
MyNameIsThien hides in shadows.
Trade Count: (2)

View Profile
« on: February 06, 2009, 01:27:25 AM »

HOW TO INSTALL OEM V6 6 SPEED FRONT UPPER STRUT BAR ON A SEDAN

WARNING: I use technical terms in this write up like “thing” “thingy” “gadget” “widget” “gizmo” and “thingamajig” to describe parts and stuff I don’t know what is. If you do not understand these scientific terms, then you may need to seek assistance in a Honda Factory Service manual. I’m also not responsible if you screw up your car. This is only a help guide, not an official document.

This is specific to the 2003-2005 Honda Accord I4 Sedan; the V6 Sedan may or may not be a little different in places.

1. Using 17mm socket, remove two bolts holding down the windshield wiper arms. Then, flip up the wiper arms like you are going to clean your windshield. The arms will slide right off the studs. You will have to have the hood down for the passenger side, and up for the driver side.

2. Remove three black plastic snaps that hold on the black plastic trim above the firewall at the cowl. Start at one end, and work to the other undoing the snaps that hold the top in at the windshield. The pieces will pop right out. Remove and set aside. Be careful, the windshield washer sprayers are attached to these, so don’t go yanking too hard.

3. There are three things that attach to the existing strut brace on the driver side. The fuse box, a bracket that holds the throttle cables, and a “thingy”. All are held on with 10mm screws. Remove all and set aside, you will reuse these. I chose the sunroof so as not to scratch any paint.

4. There is one “thingamajig” that attaches to the existing strut brace on the passenger side. It also attaches with 10mm screws. Remove screws and set aside, you will reuse these.

5. The existing strut braces attach to the firewall with four 12mm bolts. Remove the bolts and set aside, you will reuse these.

6. The existing strut braces attach to the strut towers with four 12 mm bolts. Remove the bolts and set aside, you will reuse these.

7. The existing strut braces can now be removed and discarded.

8. Begin installation of the new V6 6 Speed Upper Strut bar by attaching the bolt studs on the bar into the firewall and securing with four 12mm bolts. As you tighten the bolts down, make sure that the holes on the bar line up with the studs on the strut tower. It should line up automatically, but you may have to adjust it. Tighten, but do not torque these bolts down yet.

9. Next, install the four 12mm bolts that secure the strut bar to the struts. Torque these bolts down.

10. Torque down the 12 mm bolts at the firewall.

11. Re-install the “stuff” that was on the original strut braces. There is no place to reinstall the bracket that held the throttle cables. I have had no problems since the install, but if you wish you can zip tie the cables to the strut bar or figure out some way the put the bracket on there. I just left it off. Everything else re-installs EXACTLY the same way it was on there.

12. Re-install the black plastic trim above the fire wall at the cowl. Make sure that you do not crimp or kink the windshield washer hoses.

13. Re-install the windshield wiper arms. You can put them on at any angle, so this may require several attempts to get them on correctly.

14. Take a test drive and drive carefully until fully settled.

15. Re-torque all bolts after about three days of normal driving.

Transfered from Gen7Accord.com
suleman_manji

Reputation Power: 3
suleman_manji pfffft.
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2009, 07:01:37 PM »

I think it'd be a great idea to post part numbers. I would post them but relied on the old g7a and never copied them :(

TXCM Squad #2 | Profile | flickr | fb
[img]http:
timot_one
Farts Dust

I act like I own this place, because I do!

Reputation Power: 140
timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2009, 08:54:35 PM »

Here's the only part number you will ever need for this.

74180-SDP-A00

Tim
Quote from: Andrew Ilnyckyj
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
mnkyman

Reputation Power: 5
mnkyman pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2009, 10:05:10 PM »

There was another DIY with pictures on Cardomain, I used the above instructions along with the cardomain pictures when i installed mine and it worked out great. Ill see if i can find it and ill post up the link

Sam -|- 2006 I4 Sedan SE
konatriathlon
Fucking Newb

Reputation Power: 0
konatriathlon pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2010, 01:49:55 PM »

Haha!!  My write up lives!!!

HARPER BELLE HANES
Born: 04/04/2008
5 lbs 2 oz
17 1/2 in

JASPER PARKE HANES
Born:  03/09/2010
6 lbs 15 oz
19 3/4 in
super425

Reputation Power: 1
super425 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2013, 01:03:50 PM »

Can we run double strut bar like 6 gen .
timot_one
Farts Dust

I act like I own this place, because I do!

Reputation Power: 140
timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2013, 01:14:47 PM »

What do you mean by double?

Tim
Quote from: Andrew Ilnyckyj
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
Milan

Reputation Power: 8
Milan pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2013, 06:56:20 PM »

What do you mean by double?

Think he means the 6-speed strut coupled with the Neuspeed strut.  Yes, you can run both. 

Milan - NBP Coupe V6 6MT
Genevieve - Aspen White '07 MDX
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal © 2005-2012