Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 04:58:32 PM
Pages: « First 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: alpha Detailed: 08 S2000 GPW CR - In Progress & Help Request  (Read 7767 times)
alpha

Reputation Power: 18
alpha pfffft.
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2009, 06:19:36 PM »

Quote from: "RTexasF"
I don't understand your reluctance to use the orange pads??? You said your way wasn't working and asked for advice. Right off the bat I said to use the orange pad and you said it worked well on the roof right? Why would you not use the combination that worked on the rest of the car?? Anyone can say, "you shoulda used this or you shoulda used that" which offers  no help using the products that you have now. Smaller pads & backing plate is good advice but you don't have any so that doesn't help right now does it? A first time PC user asks someone seasoned what to do, how to do it, and then blows it off? Doesn't make me overly anxious to offer any more advice.

I'm not ill about it I just don't get it (scratches head in wonderment). The car does look very nice and reflects your hard work.
I'm not reluctant to use orange pads (for the most part).  I used orange on the rest of the car, minus the bumpers and wing.  I took your advice for the metal parts of the car with using the orange pad.

This is how I finished the rest of the car:

For any metal surface:

- Total Swirl Remover using Orange Pad (spread with speed 3 and worked in at speed 6)
- Cleansing lotion applied by hand
- Finishing Glaze using White Pad (spread at speed 3 and worked in at speed 4.5)

For the bumpers, front lip, and wing:

- Total Swirl Remover using White Pad (spread with speed 3 and worked in at speed 6)
- Cleansing lotion applied by hand
- Finishing Glaze using White Pad (spread at speed 3 and worked in at speed 4.5)

The only reason I was reluctant to use orange on the bumpers and wing is because I've seen pictures of people messing up and burning paint off of their bumpers.  I'm afraid that I may do the same, being new to PC and trying to get myself more comfortable with using it.

But for clarification, I didn't blow off the advice.  I did use it, and I thank you for it because it really helped me learn.  To be honest, I'm still getting comfortable with using a PC, and that is why I'm afraid to use any heavier cutting pad on non-metal parts.  I know it sounds weird, but it's my way of being extra careful.  At this point, until I've used the PC a little bit more, I could deal with a couple light swirls on the wing and bumpers than deal with an expensive mistake of having to have any of those parts repainted.

I do value your advice and do take it wholeheartedly.  I have the utmost respect for the work I've seen you do when it comes to detailing cars, and I hope to one day be at the same level.

- Mark
RTexasF

Reputation Power: 2
RTexasF pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2009, 08:39:45 PM »

Well then, I guess that I misunderstood completely and owe you an apology. By the way, to clear some misinformation above,  orange is NOT heavy cut, it's a medium cut pad and will be used 90+% of the time in future work. Make sure you have plenty of them. In many years I've only had to use a yellow pad one time, and that was with the Cyclo.....a major mess of a car. The orange normally did the job but that also depends on the job at hand. With smaller pads (and plate) you can get away with a white pad sometimes because the PC spins much faster. Now you'll need to get used to your new one once you get it back. It is supposed to be stronger. You've done well, don't let anyone tell you different.

Rick, token old bastard.
AV6NHBP6SPD

Reputation Power: 21
AV6NHBP6SPD who is this guy?AV6NHBP6SPD who is this guy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2009, 10:32:36 PM »

you cant realy burn paint with DA. yes honda clear coat is soft and my friend did burn through it on trunk (on s2k). but do be carefull not to take too much clear coat off. start off with least abrasive combination and if it doesn work then go more agressive till you get desired results. thats good rule to follow

Misha
http://www.detailedimage.com/wax.php?id=10288&url=detailedimage.com
"Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… That’s what gets you" - Jeremy Clarkson
alpha

Reputation Power: 18
alpha pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2009, 12:23:19 AM »

Another update:

I took a few pics after the first layer of DGPS 3.0.

And the picture that makes all the hard work worth it.. :-)

- Mark
AV6NHBP6SPD

Reputation Power: 21
AV6NHBP6SPD who is this guy?AV6NHBP6SPD who is this guy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2009, 08:39:35 AM »

pictures are good but you need to take pics of car with lights or on sunlight to see if all swirls are gone

Misha
http://www.detailedimage.com/wax.php?id=10288&url=detailedimage.com
"Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… That’s what gets you" - Jeremy Clarkson
Pages: « First 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal © 2005-2012