Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 05, 2024, 10:01:47 AM
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Southeastern Storms  (Read 3129 times)
clapton924

Reputation Power: 6
clapton924 pfffft.
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« on: March 28, 2009, 01:27:14 AM »

Not sure how many of you were affected by the heavy line of storms that came through the southeast yesterday.  Here in New Orleans we got close to 5" of rain between 12-6am.  Numerous tornadoes were in southeastern Louisiana along with close to 100 lightning strikes per hour.  

I was working late at school last night and it had rained pretty much by the time I decided to leave.  The parking lot I was in only has one way in and out and the road dips a bit into the entrance. Needless to say this had filled up with water so I sat there for a minute deciding whether it was too much of a risk to cross or not with my CAI.  I park in this lot often and knew the right side of the entrance was not as steep as the left...and guessed the water was about 6-8" deep.  Knowing the top of my CAI is almost 20" off the ground I decided to brave it through and let the car slowly roll through the water and made it to the higher spot in the road with no problem.  Looking back on it I may have been better off just staying at school last night....hydrolocking my engine would have sucked.  I've been in New Orleans for two years now and its a very wet place.  I'm always careful about the water here....and this was the first time I ever had to deal with this sort of thing. I am thankful nothing bad happened.
mnkyman

Reputation Power: 5
mnkyman pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2009, 02:40:52 AM »

Ya we got a good bit of rain here in austin as well. This morning there was a, as the weather man put it, "a freak storm" with heavy rain and hail that popped up out of no where between 9 and 11 am...i had to be on campus at 10...i saw a window of no rain, so I made a go for it on my bike (i live about half mile from campus)..half way there, it started down pouring again...needless to say I was soaked the rest of the day. I did try using a butane torch from lab to dry my jeans, but that didn't work to well lol.

As far as driving in the rain, you should of gone over it fast, letting go of the gas as you crossed. If you were really concerned, you could of got out and examined the area to see how deep it really was.

Sam -|- 2006 I4 Sedan SE
clapton924

Reputation Power: 6
clapton924 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2009, 03:36:54 AM »

Getting out to check would have been a good idea. Perhaps the torrential downpour didn't make me think of that.  I'm seriously considering putting my stock intake back on....its wet here and the storm drains backup all the time.  I understand hydrolocking is pretty rare, even with a CAI...from reading reports on Honda and Acura forums you really have to be doing something ridiculous to suck in water.  I'd just feel really dumb if I had to replace a $3k engine due to a $150 pipe that makes my car "sound cool" and gave me 5hp :)
suleman_manji

Reputation Power: 3
suleman_manji pfffft.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2009, 07:42:17 AM »

i asnt in houston when all the rain andstuff happened but in college station it was POURING for the good part of the day.

around 4 it got all pretty. and by the time i left everything was dry :)

for the CAI issue: even if the water touched the filter it wouldnt have sucked in enough to damage the engine. if im not mistaken the filter has to be considerably submerged into the water to cause something drastic to happen.

TXCM Squad #2 | Profile | flickr | fb
[img]http:
timot_one
Farts Dust

I act like I own this place, because I do!

Reputation Power: 140
timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2009, 08:28:14 AM »

Glad to hear you made it out of the parking lot safely.

Quote from: "mnkyman"
If you were really concerned, you could of got out and examined the area to see how deep it really was.

Sam is right.  If you are concerned, you should have checked the depth of the puddle.  I usually just avoid standing water in the road when I can.  About a month and a half ago we had snow in the morning that turned to rain, so the drains were clogged with snow and ice and the streets flooded.  There were a few places where I just stopped and turned around because I saw how deep the  water was from oncoming cars.  This is the type of situation where you're better off playing it safe.  If you're really worried about sucking up water because you have lots of floods, it may be worth getting a SRI or even a bypass valve for your CAI.

Tim
Quote from: Andrew Ilnyckyj
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
mnkyman

Reputation Power: 5
mnkyman pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2009, 11:11:53 AM »

Quote from: "clapton924"
I'd just feel really dumb if I had to replace a $3k engine due to a $150 pipe that makes my car "sound cool" and gave me 5hp :)

lol +1

I have a k&n bypass valve that I bought when I was thinking about buying the fujita intake, but then I got an short ram intake. I'll give it to ya for $20, pm me if your interested.

Sam -|- 2006 I4 Sedan SE
exelr8
Veteran

Reputation Power: 31
exelr8 is almost recognized as human.exelr8 is almost recognized as human.exelr8 is almost recognized as human.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2009, 01:32:59 PM »

yeah, i got to work early on wednesday only to get sent to stand in the POURING DAMN RAIN for almost an hour

"Big Country"  "Lonesome postwhor3 #1" "Car Whore Squad Member #2"
SECM Squad #3...kinda
Abailey4

Reputation Power: 17
Abailey4 pfffft.
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2009, 01:52:03 PM »

We've just been getting that annoying drizzle here for the last couple days.

-Derrick & Ashley
Couple from NoVa
Car Domain Profile
exelr8
Veteran

Reputation Power: 31
exelr8 is almost recognized as human.exelr8 is almost recognized as human.exelr8 is almost recognized as human.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2009, 03:46:18 PM »

It has finally cleared here it is still overcast but no rain. All of the rain has just missed us by a few miles to the south.

"Big Country"  "Lonesome postwhor3 #1" "Car Whore Squad Member #2"
SECM Squad #3...kinda
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal © 2005-2012