Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 21, 2024, 01:52:07 AM
Pages: « First 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Stock Cam  (Read 12121 times)
tennis
Fucking Newb

Reputation Power: 1
tennis pfffft.
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2011, 08:17:48 PM »

something i thought about.. if the brian crower stage 2 cams have a lift of 410"/.410" then y do the skunk2 stage 1 cams have a lift of 0.449”/0.449”. on the brian cower site it says for the stage 2 cams that the cam "Requires kit BC0050" with a lift of .410.. then y does the skunk 2 stage 1 with a .449 lift only say recommends..if i have misunderstood something then please please correct me.. but something doesnt seem right
fatbastard

Reputation Power: 7
fatbastard pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2011, 08:27:43 PM »

2nd he said if the paper that came with the cams said "Valve train upgrade is recommended" not "required" then the cams that i was sent were not stage 1 cams.

as per skunk2, stage1 TUNER cams don't need valvetrain upgrades. maybe you got the PRO cams?

-- Charles --

2005 Honda Accord 2.4L sedan
2011 Subaru STi sedan
tennis
Fucking Newb

tennis pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2011, 08:29:46 PM »

unless they sent me pro cams in a box with the paperwork for stage 1 cams if they did that then yes.. but on the website they dont have pro k series cams..... also read my last post the one above yours... y would the stage 2 brian cower cam need springs when it has less of a lift then the skunk 2 stage 1 which doesnt require one
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 08:38:32 PM by tennis » Logged
fatbastard

fatbastard pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2011, 08:46:33 PM »

brian crower cams have more duration.

-- Charles --

2011 Subaru STi sedan
timot_one
Farts Dust

I act like I own this place, because I do!

Reputation Power: 140
timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2011, 08:54:29 PM »

Have you called Skunk2 about this yet?  I bet they can provide a little bit of insight when it comes to needing a valvetrain upgrade.  My guess is that the installer fucked up and the timing was off.  If other people have used Skunk2 Stage 1 cams with the OEM valvetrain, and you got valve to piston contact, then it's either the install or you were sent the wrong cams by Skunk2.

Tim
Quote from: Andrew Ilnyckyj
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
tennis
Fucking Newb

tennis pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2011, 09:13:55 PM »

i got the cam from chris off of gen7accord... he was selling them almost half price.
timot_one
Farts Dust

timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2011, 09:29:58 PM »

He's running them in his car too.  Something isn't right here.  Sounds like the install.

Tim
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
fatbastard

fatbastard pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2011, 09:38:53 PM »

yeah as per skunk2, even stage3 cams won't have clearance issues with stock engines.

-- Charles --

2011 Subaru STi sedan
timot_one
Farts Dust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2011, 11:18:54 PM »

The only reason why you would have valve to piston contact is if the timing was off.  You can advance your intake cam up to 30º on a K24 Accord.  The TSX K24A2 comes with a 25º cam gear, but you can advance your intake cam up to 45º without valve to piston contact.  One reason for upgrading your valvesprings and retainers is to be able to accommodate the additional lift that most aftermarket cams give you.  My guess is that your installer fucked up and the timing was off enough to cause the damage or another thing that it could be is that your timing chain tensioner failed and your chain skipped a few teeth.  Usually, your timing chain tensioner doesn't fail immediately.  Usually it will fail over time with aftermarket cams.

Tim
fatbastard

fatbastard pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2011, 02:46:24 AM »

is it then recommended to replace the timing chain tensioner at set intervals when aftermarket cams are installed?

-- Charles --

2011 Subaru STi sedan
timot_one
Farts Dust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2011, 08:18:57 AM »

No.  It's suggested that you replace the timing chain tensioner with a stronger aftermarket unit.  There are 3 companies that make them.  Toda, Skunk2, and Hybrid Racing.  Hondata uses the Skunk2 timing chain tensioner on their 2 k powered land speed cars.  You can also get a discount from Skunk2 if you already own a set of their cams.  If it were me, I'd only use the Skunk2 or Hybrid Racing tensioners.  I don't know a lot about the Toda one, because I haven't researched it.  I do know that the Skunk2 and Hybrid Racing timing chain tensioners are not remanufactured OEM units, but are completely redesigned and new units.

Tim
tennis
Fucking Newb

tennis pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2011, 02:40:36 PM »

ok well as of right now i dont have access to the motor and neither does the mechanic... bt he said that he would compencate me 300 for the motor and 300 for the cam
Pages: « First 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal © 2005-2012