Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 03:41:08 PM
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Started wetsanding my accord  (Read 4734 times)
AV6NHBP6SPD

Reputation Power: 21
AV6NHBP6SPD who is this guy?AV6NHBP6SPD who is this guy?
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile WWW
« on: June 29, 2010, 09:23:59 PM »

well was time to do full detail again and i wanted to wetsand it to get it to mirror like condition, factory orange peel sucks. paint readings were in 300 so plenty of coating to work with. need to pick up 3000 grits, probably will make it easier to do get mirror like finish.  here is results so far
products i used

2500 grit sand paper
Meguiar's M105 with purple wool pad
Menzerna 203 with orange pad
Menzerna 85rd with black pad
Black fire wetdiamond on blue pad
Wolfgange fuzion wax

process:
prepped panels (only what im working on couse others have wax on them). wetsanded with 2500 grit, used M105 to get rid of sanding marks,(checked results, pretty satisfied but was not able to get all out couse some defects were too deep) polished with 203 and then with 85rd. paint cleansed and sealed with black fire wet diamond sealant.

defects (etching, scratches)

before/after

did little test panel on rear quarter panel, huge difference, this is when i decided to do whole car

before wetsanding

after

50/50

Did passenger fender, turned out ok, not as good as i wanted, most of orange peel is gone but not all of it. i wish my whole front end to get resrpray at some point,
wetsanded with 2500 grit, then 3000 grit, meguiar's M105 on purple wool pad, menzerna 203 and orange pad, menzerna 85 and black pad, sealed with 2 layers of jetseal and waxed with wolfgang fuzion wax, forgot to do measurement on clear, might have went through clear coat on body line but not sure if i did or not, i think car was resprayed couse where i think i did go through still reads in 90s, this is way too high to be primer and black pearl and i didnt get any paint transfer so i think its second layer of clear on the car and its reading in 300 so go figure

when i did hood today i took measurements before and after, after wetsanding it 3 times (not 3 rubs back an d forth) and polishing with wool pad and 105, did touch ups and had to wetsand 3 times on same area so i did a lot of sanding. after first wetsanding part i took off about 2 microns of paint i took off 8 microns of clear

before

after

50/50 with door. definitely a difference between two panels

friday i did my rear quarter panel, turned out pretty good. again not to point i initially wanted to but looks good anyway
on this panel i took off close to 20 microns according to paint gauge so right now its around 300 somewhere
here are before and after pics

unsanded door

sanded quarter panel

« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 05:37:58 PM by AV6NHBP6SPD » Logged

Misha
http://www.detailedimage.com/wax.php?id=10288&url=detailedimage.com
"Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… That’s what gets you" - Jeremy Clarkson
Mike
Farts Dust

Fan Boys Anonymous

Reputation Power: 95
Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!
Trade Count: (5)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2010, 09:47:16 PM »

Looks like your in for a lot of work but, it will be worth it. Are you willing to write this up as a detailed FYI. Maybe include more pictures of you doing the steps than just the glory shots. I love your work but, I'd like to see the information benefit the other members as much as possible.
wtcii

Reputation Power: 25
wtcii who is this guy?wtcii who is this guy?
Trade Count: (2)

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2010, 10:46:46 PM »

Looks great! I'd be interested to know what the paint gauge readings are afterwards.

Bill C.
SECM member
I guess he has money to burn.  I'd rather waste my money on parts that actually make my car faster, hookers, and drugs.  Fucking amateurs.   :Smiley
AV6NHBP6SPD

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2010, 05:38:23 PM »

updated

Misha
"Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… That’s what gets you" - Jeremy Clarkson
SHLEE
Fucking Newb

Reputation Power: 0
SHLEE pfffft.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2010, 03:20:16 PM »

Thats phenomenal  Grin

Mike
Farts Dust

Fan Boys Anonymous

Reputation Power: 95
Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!
Trade Count: (5)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2010, 03:46:16 PM »

I'd swear some of those images aren't reflections! Great work
redHFPcm7

Reputation Power: 0
redHFPcm7 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2010, 04:13:06 PM »

damnn! looks good man
AV6NHBP6SPD

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2010, 11:08:45 PM »

I'd swear some of those images aren't reflections! Great work

thats what kinda inspired me. i seen some pics of wetsanded truck and they didnt look like pics of  car just looked like regular pics so i decided to do mine, right now its kinda onhold due to luck of motivation and time with school

Misha
rich

Reputation Power: 4
rich pfffft.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2010, 10:43:07 AM »

you need to come down and do my car...NOW

2004 Accord Coupe V6 6speed
for sale!
Xbox Live Gamertag: BeachBum561FLA
AV6NHBP6SPD

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2010, 10:57:44 PM »

bring it down and we gladly do it. scheduled first accord to do next week, yay lol. its blue 8th gen coupe but still pretty nice

Misha
Lemonjelly

Reputation Power: 6
Lemonjelly pfffft.
Trade Count: (3)

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2010, 09:40:50 AM »

INCREDIBLE work! The car looks amazing

just out of curiosity what would you charge to do this?

Steve - NECM #4

AV6NHBP6SPD

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2010, 07:12:46 PM »

INCREDIBLE work! The car looks amazing

just out of curiosity what would you charge to do this?

hmm, no idea, its A LOT OF WORK, we partialy had to wetsand last car we worked on and it was only 3000 gritt and bill was in 700 already, so for full i have no idea, so i would guess it would run you around 1000-1200 to do this thing BUT depends how much paint you have on the car, if its honda standard 120 micron then i dont think i would do it, looks like mine was repainted maybe or its just how paint is on this car couse it was in 300 (but acura TL is same amount of paint so maybe for  certain colors its more or less). like i said i took off up to 20 microns of clear coat off the car

and last car we worked on had wetsanding done at factory and looks almost like mine after wetsanding, even though i can still see little orangepeel if you look VERY CLOSELY about 2" off the car surface, but paint looks deep, almost want to dip your hand and touch the flake

color is royal blue but under some lights looks greenish, after i do write up ill deff post it in pic section

« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 07:19:49 PM by AV6NHBP6SPD » Logged

Misha
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal © 2005-2012