Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 05, 2024, 03:59:25 AM
Pages: « First 1 [2] 3 Last »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: So you want bigger wheels?....  (Read 9621 times)
Mike
Farts Dust

Fan Boys Anonymous

Reputation Power: 95
Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!
Trade Count: (5)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2009, 11:30:46 AM »

I never said it was the fault of the tires. My issues were caused by many small issues compounding to create a large one. I was forced to make a snap judgment evasive maneuver, and better equipment may have changed things.
Abailey4

Reputation Power: 17
Abailey4 pfffft.
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2009, 11:33:29 AM »

I actually feel the same way as Greg however I was running 18" wheels and just went back to the 16" EX stocks. Turning feels easier and my acceleration is a lil better, as for mpg I dont know yet cuz I just took em off on Saturday.

And Z the OEM michelin's are horrible in inclement weather so yeah you cant go off of that.

-Derrick & Ashley
Couple from NoVa
Car Domain Profile
wtcii

Reputation Power: 25
wtcii who is this guy?wtcii who is this guy?
Trade Count: (2)

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2009, 11:35:45 AM »

Quote from: "lavalleemike"
I never said it was the fault of the tires. My issues were caused by many small issues compounding to create a large one. I was forced to make a snap judgment evasive maneuver, and better equipment may have changed things.

I was just messing with ya.

On topic: Will I notice a significant difference in traction if I go from a 205 to a 235 with a good tire? Right now my traction sucks in the rain.

Bill C.
SECM member
I guess he has money to burn.  I'd rather waste my money on parts that actually make my car faster, hookers, and drugs.  Fucking amateurs.   :Smiley
clapton924

Reputation Power: 6
clapton924 pfffft.
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2009, 11:58:09 AM »

No worries guys...I intended for some banter with this topic.

On topic: Will I notice a significant difference in traction if I go from a 205 to a 235 with a good tire? Right now my traction sucks in the rain.

Not necessarily.  I think its actually easier to hydroplane on a wider tire due to the larger contact patch.  I think a good set of 205 tires would make a world of difference.  I drove through some heavy rain Saturday going to Hattiesburg, MS....no problems on my 205's.
wtcii

Reputation Power: 25
wtcii who is this guy?wtcii who is this guy?
Trade Count: (2)

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2009, 12:02:50 PM »

I was talking more about from a stop. Occasionally when I go to accelerate my tires will spin. I feel like an asshat when I do it. Another thing is my grandparents driveway is very steep and when it rains they always lose grip.

Bill C.
SECM member
I guess he has money to burn.  I'd rather waste my money on parts that actually make my car faster, hookers, and drugs.  Fucking amateurs.   :Smiley
CrackerTeg
Farts Dust

No fucks given.

Reputation Power: 99
CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2009, 12:45:18 PM »

Quote from: "Abailey4"
I
And Z the OEM michelin's are horrible in inclement weather so yeah you cant go off of that.

Believe me, I know how bad the OEM Michelins are. Remember when I had said I sent my car sliding sideways a couple months ago? In dry weather is the only time these tires are good. My comparison is based on that.

"If one day the speed kills me, do not cry because I was smiling." - Paul Walker
Asim

Reputation Power: 5
Asim pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2009, 04:54:40 PM »

im going from 205 to 225 soon, I am sure I will not enjoy the slower feel, lower mpg

but I will love the looks, it is my DD, but I can live with it I am sure

heck I even noticed the heavy feeling when I had to do a brake job and installed TL-s bars the same moment

who knows, if it bugs me maybe in the future I will buy some light weight 16 or 17" wheels with the same width...

A S I M O
Jeff Likes Bagels

Reputation Power: 21
Jeff Likes Bagels who is this guy?Jeff Likes Bagels who is this guy?
Trade Count: (3)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2009, 05:14:44 PM »

Quote from: "Asim"
im going from 205 to 225 soon, I am sure I will not enjoy the slower feel, lower mpg

but I will love the looks, it is my DD, but I can live with it I am sure

heck I even noticed the heavy feeling when I had to do a brake job and installed TL-s bars the same moment

who knows, if it bugs me maybe in the future I will buy some light weight 16 or 17" wheels with the same width...
My car didn't feel any slower when I went to 225. Gas mileage dropped maybe 1-2mpg, but that's about it. I'd probably assume that the pulleys have a part in making my car not feel slow anymore too, lol.

clapton924

clapton924 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2009, 06:47:24 PM »

Don't get me wrong, I was completely happy with the 17x8 rims when they were on my car....your mind tends to get used to things over periods of time.  I think the slight decrease in power is more of an issue for I4's than guys with V6's....they have more room to lose a few Hp than I4's do.  Like I said, I love the looks of the TL rims....the lower profile tire looks nice.
Asim

Asim pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2009, 09:34:16 AM »

sorry  jeff

meant to say not only going to 225 from 205 but adding a few lbs on each wheel too

A S I M O
CrackerTeg
Farts Dust

No fucks given.

Reputation Power: 99
CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2009, 10:12:08 AM »

You really shouldn't notice too much of a difference Asim. Better traction is the major thing you will notice but that also depends on how much thrashing you do around turns.

"If one day the speed kills me, do not cry because I was smiling." - Paul Walker
Jeff Likes Bagels

Reputation Power: 21
Jeff Likes Bagels who is this guy?Jeff Likes Bagels who is this guy?
Trade Count: (3)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2009, 11:40:18 AM »

Quote from: "Asim"
sorry  jeff

meant to say not only going to 225 from 205 but adding a few lbs on each wheel too
Ah, well then that definitely makes sense. 36lbs around the car is a quite large increase for TLs. My EX wheels don't feel that heavy (with tires).

Inertia sucks, doesn't it? :P

clapton924

clapton924 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2009, 01:49:43 PM »

Inertia sucks, doesn't it? :P

I sort of think of wheels like engine pulleys....the lighter they are the easier it is for the engine to spin them. And yeah, +9lbs per corner is rather hefty.
Asim

Asim pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2009, 02:12:06 PM »

i've gotta weigh my oems to be sure what the damage will be

my new wheels will be 50lb combined

i have 06-07 16's so they aren't exaclty the same as yours but im hoping its not a 9lb per wheel difference

A S I M O
Milan

Reputation Power: 8
Milan pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2009, 05:59:37 PM »

Quote from: "clapton924"
As expected ride comfort improved going from a 35 profile tire to a 60.

You're running a 35 series tire on a 17" wheel?  No wonder the ride comfort feels crappy.  Most people run that on 19" wheels.  17" wheels should run a 45-50 series tire depending on the width of the tire.

Milan - NBP Coupe V6 6MT
Genevieve - Aspen White '07 MDX
Pages: « First 1 [2] 3 Last »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal © 2005-2012