Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 05, 2024, 02:52:30 AM
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next > Last »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: So you want bigger wheels?....  (Read 9619 times)
clapton924

Reputation Power: 6
clapton924 pfffft.
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« on: December 14, 2009, 12:40:47 AM »

About 9 months ago I switched out my stock 16" EX alloys for a set of 2005 TL wheels.  I love the look of the TL wheels, and I like the look of the lower profile tire.  I've had no complaints with the larger wheels...but I have an experience I would like to share.

A few days ago I took off the TL wheels and put my stock 16"s back on in preparation for my drive to Ohio for Christmas.  I was amazed at how differently the car drove....in a good way.

1. As expected ride comfort improved going from a 35 profile tire to a 60.
2. The car tracts a much "truer" or straighter line on the freeway.
3. Wheel weight decreased by 9lbs (49lbs TL / 40lbs OEM).
4. Feels like the car gained 10hp...acceleration has improved.
5. Highway MPG increased from 31 to 34mpg (same highway, cruise set to 75mph).
6. Car feels more balanced overall.

If I didn't like the look of the TL wheels so much I would sell them.  I hear people often say "dude wider tires grip so much better".  While this may be true....I don't think grip is much of an issue for the everyday driver.  If you track your car that is one thing- but how often do find yourself cornering at high speeds? And if you routinely find yourself cornering hard at 60+ mph on public roads, well...you are a fuck head.  I understand that high-power cars need big, wide tires to put down power....but lets not kid ourselves...none of us are driving a V12 Lambo.
Mike
Farts Dust

Fan Boys Anonymous

Reputation Power: 95
Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!
Trade Count: (5)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2009, 07:44:17 AM »

I have to say the exact opposite. Every time I put my stock wheels back on for the winter my car handles like shit...
CrackerTeg
Farts Dust

No fucks given.

Reputation Power: 99
CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2009, 08:06:39 AM »

I have better experience with my current wheel setup as opposed to my steelies. My gas mileage didn't change, it tracks better, and also handles better due to less flex in the sidewalls. Wet weather on the other hand sucks balls because I'm still running OEM Michelins on them. That'll change soon though.

"If one day the speed kills me, do not cry because I was smiling." - Paul Walker
clapton924

Reputation Power: 6
clapton924 pfffft.
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2009, 09:20:36 AM »

^ Perhaps I am just crazy....but I'm interested to hear if anyone else has had similar feelings.
CrackerTeg
Farts Dust

No fucks given.

CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2009, 09:22:35 AM »

Maybe you are crazy Greg. You did mass PM the entire forum.

"If one day the speed kills me, do not cry because I was smiling." - Paul Walker
wtcii

Reputation Power: 25
wtcii who is this guy?wtcii who is this guy?
Trade Count: (2)

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2009, 09:34:19 AM »

Just a thought. Greg is running a 235 with an Acura wheel. Z and Mike, you guys are both running 225 Honda's, right? Maybe that 10mm difference in width is enough to make that difference.

Bill C.
SECM member
I guess he has money to burn.  I'd rather waste my money on parts that actually make my car faster, hookers, and drugs.  Fucking amateurs.   :Smiley
Mike
Farts Dust

Fan Boys Anonymous

Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2009, 09:39:55 AM »

Yes but, i've run wider tires on my car also, and with similar results. I can see where you may feel a decrease in acceleration but, it should be minimal. The most important thing is the feeling of the driver, and confidence that your car is handling properly. I didn't intend to take a shot at you or make you feel crazy Greg soemtimes i'm a cranky old guy in the morning.
CrackerTeg
Farts Dust

No fucks given.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2009, 09:48:28 AM »

Bill, technically I'm running Acura wheels if you want to look at it that way as my wheels happen to be the same ones run on the 02-03 Acura TL Type S but I digress. That 10mm difference is not much to make that much of a differencedifference. 10mm is shit to be frank. Honestly though, yes acceleration would decrease if the overall weight of the wheel and tire combo weighs more than the OE setup and mileage would decrease slightly as a result but the extra rolling resistance also contributes. I wouldn't mind a slight decrease in acceleration and fuel mileage for the increased traction benefit.

And Greg, calling you crazy was just to fuck with you and of course I had to throw in the mass pm reminder. lol

slipkord
Veteran

Reputation Power: 31
slipkord is almost recognized as human.slipkord is almost recognized as human.slipkord is almost recognized as human.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2009, 09:55:53 AM »

Quote from: "CrackerTeg"
I wouldn't mind a slight decrease in acceleration and fuel mileage for the increased traction benefit

Since we're throwing around our opinions...here's mine:

Do you take your car to the track? I know I don't. Hell, my commute to work is 90% straight! If I had more curves to deal with on a back road then yeah traction would be a little better there. I'd much rather have more acceleration and mpgs than more traction. I never have pushed my car to the edge of where my tires are slipping or screaming. If I wanted better traction I'd throw on a grippier set of tires.  :shh:
Jeff Likes Bagels

Reputation Power: 21
Jeff Likes Bagels who is this guy?Jeff Likes Bagels who is this guy?
Trade Count: (3)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2009, 10:13:45 AM »

Quote from: "slipkord"
Quote from: "CrackerTeg"
I wouldn't mind a slight decrease in acceleration and fuel mileage for the increased traction benefit

Since we're throwing around our opinions...here's mine:

Do you take your car to the track? I know I don't. Hell, my commute to work is 90% straight! If I had more curves to deal with on a back road then yeah traction would be a little better there. I'd much rather have more acceleration and mpgs than more traction. I never have pushed my car to the edge of where my tires are slipping or screaming. If I wanted better traction I'd throw on a grippier set of tires.  :shh:
x2

I've thought about getting TL or TL-S wheels, but then again, my car is a DD. Acceleration and mpg's are pretty important, and cornering at high speeds doesn't seem necessary. Sure, I went to a wider tire, and it's improved the car's handling a lot, but other than that, I don't see the need to getting an even wider wheel/tire set.

Not to mention the fact that getting a new set of wheels and tires will be expensive as shit.

CrackerTeg
Farts Dust

No fucks given.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2009, 10:14:52 AM »

I don't take my car to the track. I just have some nice twisty back roads to play on and the increased traction is nice should I ever have to make an emergency maneuver (sp?). No need to hide from the ban missle. It'll find you just like Chuck Norris.

Mike
Farts Dust

Fan Boys Anonymous

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2009, 10:31:10 AM »

When I had my accident I think wider tires probably would have allowed me to keep my car away from the guard rail. Increased traction is a good thing trust me.
CrackerTeg
Farts Dust

No fucks given.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2009, 10:55:09 AM »

I'm sure it would have helped. I don't remember if you had said it then but were you running the OE Michelins then Mike?

Mike
Farts Dust

Fan Boys Anonymous

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2009, 11:13:04 AM »

No sir. I was on cooper tires. But, they are now gone also I upgraded even my winter tires. That accident caused me to make alot of changes.
wtcii

Reputation Power: 25
wtcii who is this guy?wtcii who is this guy?
Trade Count: (2)

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2009, 11:20:59 AM »

You bad mouthing coopers Mike? My dad is a engineer there, Im gonna come find you. jk we dont even own any. I have been wanting some tl 5 spokes since I lowered my car. This may make me rethink what I do. I saw some Honda wheels on an accord the other day that looked pretty good, Im going to assume the are 225's. It a wider heavier wheel/tire combo harder on the power steering pump? I could see some extra stress on it.

Bill C.
SECM member
I guess he has money to burn.  I'd rather waste my money on parts that actually make my car faster, hookers, and drugs.  Fucking amateurs.   :Smiley
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next > Last »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal © 2005-2012