Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 04, 2024, 05:02:03 PM
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: winter tire selection, narrower is better  (Read 4069 times)
AV6NHBP6SPD

Reputation Power: 21
AV6NHBP6SPD who is this guy?AV6NHBP6SPD who is this guy?
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile WWW
« on: October 23, 2009, 08:53:46 AM »

got tire rack magazine and here is what i read.
When it comes to winter tires
Does your vehicle or light truck use wide, low profile or flotation-sized tires? if you're going to drive through lots of snow this year you'll want your winter tires and wheels in sizes that help put the laws of physics on your side. larger or wider tires meet more resistance becouse they have to "plow" a wider path through snow. Narrower is better.

thought its good info

Misha
http://www.detailedimage.com/wax.php?id=10288&url=detailedimage.com
"Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… That’s what gets you" - Jeremy Clarkson
v6sicksspeed

Reputation Power: 7
v6sicksspeed pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2009, 12:22:35 PM »

that makes sense from an MPG standpoint when actually driving through snow.  a narrow tire will also give you better traction and grip on the pavement because its a more narrow point of contact with the road with the same weight distribution (i.e. more likely to connect with the pavement than the ice/snow on top of it).

J u s t i n
Rich01

Reputation Power: 20
Rich01 who is this guy?Rich01 who is this guy?
Trade Count: (2)

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2009, 12:37:27 AM »

I agree narrower is better if the weight is the same. You do not benefit however, when you go smaller in the front with wider in the rear like I've seen people doing in the winter times. A FWD still has to pull the rear wheels with more friction area

Rich
timot_one
Farts Dust

I act like I own this place, because I do!

Reputation Power: 140
timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2009, 08:12:54 AM »

Yup it's true.  Physics is cool shit.  This reminds me that I need to get winter tires and put my winter wheels on.

Tim
Quote from: Andrew Ilnyckyj
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
JLAV6
Fucking Newb

Reputation Power: 0
JLAV6 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2009, 03:20:45 AM »

Any good all-season tires that anyone would recommend getting to use for rain/snow?
timot_one
Farts Dust

I act like I own this place, because I do!

Reputation Power: 140
timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2009, 10:27:29 AM »

Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Position.

Tim
Quote from: Andrew Ilnyckyj
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
MyNameIsThien

MyNameIsThien hides in shadows.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2009, 12:59:23 PM »

Agreed with Tim on the tire. I have them on my Gram Lights, and I have driven in some light snow to slightly heavy snow. It made it through with no problems. Another suggestion would be the Bridgestone Potenza G019 Grids.
v6sicksspeed

Reputation Power: 7
v6sicksspeed pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2009, 04:39:27 PM »

im really happy with the goodyear eagle gt all seasons i have on my winter setup

J u s t i n
Rich01

Reputation Power: 20
Rich01 who is this guy?Rich01 who is this guy?

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2009, 09:19:45 PM »

wish I had a WINTER setup. Hopefully this winter wont be any worst than last year or I'm fucked

Rich
JLAV6
Fucking Newb

JLAV6 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2009, 12:25:26 AM »

Quote from: "Rich01"
wish I had a WINTER setup. Hopefully this winter wont be any worst than last year or I'm fucked

+1. I am looking at getting new all seasons before winter comes. Last night, i was hydroplaning on a turn. Good thing there was no cars around and I gain control back before hitting the wall. Stock Michelins SUCK!! Thanks Tim and Thien for the suggestions.
rajin929

rajin929 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2009, 10:27:28 AM »

narrow tires is good, even better with a higher sidewall - the flex in sidewall helps traction as well.

i'm running 205/60/16 Toyo GO2+ winters on steelies - by far the sickest winter tire for canadian winters I've had
they are a little on the noisy side due to the chunkier tread design, but man they grip like a mutha fukka!

2005 Honda Accord EX 6MT Coupe (CM8) - Graphite Grey Pearl
1999 Acura 2.3CL - sold
Sworkhard

Reputation Power: 1
Sworkhard pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2009, 12:34:02 PM »

Narrower is good for snow covered, gravel and wet roads (pushes through it easier), but bad for icy and dry roads where the additional contact patch surface area of a wider tires, and for ice, this means more sipes on the road at at time gives it the edge.

[size=150]Stephen[/size]
03 Accord EX-L 5MT
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal © 2005-2012