Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 06, 2024, 01:38:34 AM
Pages: « First < Previous 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fiberglass Subwoofer Enclosure Build  (Read 19438 times)
ibcnunv

Reputation Power: 14
ibcnunv pfffft.
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2009, 01:47:38 PM »

Quote from: "timot_one"
Thanks man.  I can't wait to do my own build this summer.  I'm just debating whether I want to have 1 or 2 JL Audio 13TW5's.  Probably 2. :mrgreen:

Tim, go with your classic dual sub enclosures.  

Also, as soon as I finish I will post some pictures of the twins Tim did for him self a while back and was gracious enough to sell forwards to me…  

Since I got them from Tim I have used them as storage enclosures in the trunk but I am going to out fit them with a set of 15” RCF Woofers.  

I will post the pictures ASAP.

OFF TOPIC:

PS. Unique Auto Sports SUCKS!!! The newer guys that came into the shop had better skills than Remy.

I would rather spend money with Chip Foose.  Unique has done some bullshit ass work on most of their customer cars and I can’t believe the overage he charges these poor rich athletes.

Piero AKA ibcnunv
Voltage Squad - Straight Bumpin Bitch!
Mike
Farts Dust

Fan Boys Anonymous

Reputation Power: 95
Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!
Trade Count: (5)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2009, 02:01:17 PM »

Poor rich athletes? That doesn't make much sense.
ibcnunv

ibcnunv pfffft.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2009, 02:05:35 PM »

Quote from: "lavalleemike"
Poor rich athletes? That doesn't make much sense.

Yeah, I know it’s kind of redundant but you know what I meant to say.

Poor = Suckers

Piero AKA ibcnunv
timot_one
Farts Dust

I act like I own this place, because I do!

Reputation Power: 140
timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2009, 02:57:59 PM »

Quote from: "Bad_Black_07"
Thanks man.  I can't wait to do my own build this summer.  I'm just debating whether I want to have 1 or 2 JL Audio 13TW5's.  Probably 2. :mrgreen:

That sounds nice, great sql!  I am having the box massaged a bit and going into a 12" W7.  Having gone single, the X just isn't quite giving me enough.  I had considered the new Memphis Mojo, but it isn't quite the sql unit that the W7 is.

I would reconsider the enclosure design before spending money on another sub.  A single 12 should be plenty if yu're going for SQ.  Have you made sure that the enclosure is the correct volume, taking into account that fiberglass will appear to be larger than a MDF enclosure of equal internal volume?  A poorly designed enclosure can make a very nice subwoofer sound like shit.  A well designed enclosure can make an inexpensive subwoofer sound like you spent a lot of money.

Tim
Quote from: Andrew Ilnyckyj
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
Bad_Black_07
Fucking Newb

Reputation Power: 0
Bad_Black_07 pfffft.
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2009, 05:43:15 PM »

Quote from: "Bad_Black_07"

That sounds nice, great sql!  I am having the box massaged a bit and going into a 12" W7.  Having gone single, the X just isn't quite giving me enough.  I had considered the new Memphis Mojo, but it isn't quite the sql unit that the W7 is.

I would reconsider the enclosure design before spending money on another sub.  A single 12 should be plenty if yu're going for SQ.  Have you made sure that the enclosure is the correct volume, taking into account that fiberglass will appear to be larger than a MDF enclosure of equal internal volume?  A poorly designed enclosure can make a very nice subwoofer sound like shit.  A well designed enclosure can make an inexpensive subwoofer sound like you spent a lot of money.

OK, thanks Tim.  I was thinking of having them reduce the volume, as it is +/-1.15 cu ft and being a glass box, it probably looks like 1.5 to the x-series.  I will have them reduce volume to .80 to start.  Thanks again, as always your advice is greatly appreciated.
timot_one
Farts Dust

timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2009, 11:05:18 PM »

Who is them?  If you built that yourself, you can reduce the enclosure's volume.  I don't have subwoofer enclosure design software because nobody makes it for Mac and I don't really want to spend the money on it right now, but I would recommend trying some sort of free enclosure design software to find out what size the enclosure should be for the sound quality you want (tight and accurate, or boomy and sloppy, or somewhere in between).  Then when you get the volume of what the enclosure should be, remember that an enclosure in fiberglass should be 80% of the size of an MDF enclosure since all enclosure design software and manufacturer assume you're using MDF.  What is the volume of your current enclosure right now?  Why are you not happy with the sound quality?

Tim
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
ibcnunv

ibcnunv pfffft.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2009, 08:18:57 AM »

Sorry for the cell phone pictures I have been posting in the past few days buy I cant seem to find the charger to my point and shoot.

Anyway, here are some pictures of my trunk and the enclosures Tim did.

PS. They are hand me down woofers!

Piero AKA ibcnunv
CrazyCreashunz

Reputation Power: 27
CrazyCreashunz who is this guy?CrazyCreashunz who is this guy?
Trade Count: (5)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2009, 08:47:10 AM »

^ Nice Piero, finally filled them enclosures... trunk is looking very nice dude!

Billy -Prez. of Team Crazy Creashunz
My Elite CM Profile I  www.CrazyCreashunz.com I "Like Us" on Facebook!
timot_one
Farts Dust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2009, 09:01:40 AM »

Ohhh.  There are speakers in there now.  How nice.

Tim
Bad_Black_07
Fucking Newb

Bad_Black_07 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 16, 2009, 07:00:29 PM »

Who is them?  If you built that yourself, you can reduce the enclosure's volume.  I don't have subwoofer enclosure design software because nobody makes it for Mac and I don't really want to spend the money on it right now, but I would recommend trying some sort of free enclosure design software to find out what size the enclosure should be for the sound quality you want (tight and accurate, or boomy and sloppy, or somewhere in between).  Then when you get the volume of what the enclosure should be, remember that an enclosure in fiberglass should be 80% of the size of an MDF enclosure since all enclosure design software and manufacturer assume you're using MDF.  What is the volume of your current enclosure right now?  Why are you not happy with the sound quality?

Tim, I had a friend with one of the more respected shops here in Vegas do my build and install.  The enclosure volume is right about 1.15 cu ft.  I want to get tighter and I am having an issue with over excursion on the sub, which has forced me to lower the gain on my PDX-1.1000.  I believe that reducing the volume will lower the chance of over excursion and allow me to turn the gain back up and have the tightness, as well as the SPL I am looking for.
AccordProtector
Fucking Newb

AccordProtector pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 18, 2010, 07:58:49 PM »

This inspires me. Pun intended.
Pages: « First < Previous 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal © 2005-2012