Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 06, 2024, 05:52:24 AM
Pages: « First 1 [2] 3 Last »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fiberglass Subwoofer Enclosure Build  (Read 19441 times)
Mike
Farts Dust

Fan Boys Anonymous

Reputation Power: 95
Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!
Trade Count: (5)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2009, 03:41:42 PM »

You dont like to be paid in shell fish?
clapton924

Reputation Power: 6
clapton924 pfffft.
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2009, 01:39:05 AM »

That's a very nice custom sub enclosure. I've never built a box out of fiberglass but I've done a few custom enclosures with MDF.  Heavy stuff...but works damn well.  When building this enclosure did you account for the optimum internal volume of the box in relation to that driver? Or did you just wing it? I'm guessing the later. You never mentioned how that sub sounds...also what watt amp did you couple it with?
mnkyman

Reputation Power: 5
mnkyman pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2009, 02:12:26 AM »

looks freakin OEM (in a good way)...freakin sweet. Is the amp getting a rack in the future?

Sam -|- 2006 I4 Sedan SE
rjp6262

Reputation Power: 2
rjp6262 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2009, 02:39:44 PM »

man that is nice! that's exactly how i would want one. how much do you charge?
Sworkhard

Reputation Power: 1
Sworkhard pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2009, 07:24:26 PM »

Quote from: "clapton924"
That's a very nice custom sub enclosure. I've never built a box out of fiberglass but I've done a few custom enclosures with MDF.  Heavy stuff...but works damn well.  When building this enclosure did you account for the optimum internal volume of the box in relation to that driver? Or did you just wing it? I'm guessing the later. You never mentioned how that sub sounds...also what watt amp did you couple it with?

I'm wondering this as well.  

BTW, awesome writeup Tim.

[size=150]Stephen[/size]
03 Accord EX-L 5MT
timot_one
Farts Dust

I act like I own this place, because I do!

Reputation Power: 140
timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2009, 12:54:45 AM »

Quote from: "clapton924"
When building this enclosure did you account for the optimum internal volume of the box in relation to that driver? Or did you just wing it? I'm guessing the later. You never mentioned how that sub sounds...also what watt amp did you couple it with?

It was the latter.  I just winged it.  The enclosure actually got destroyed and needs to be rebuilt in the spring.  At that point I will make sure to get the Thiele/Small parameters and build it at the proper size for the type of sound that Steve wants, taking into account that fiberglass enclosures need to be about 80% of the size of an MDF enclosure.  I don't know the specs of the amp he had it hooked up to.  Hopefully he will chime in and tell us.

Tim
Quote from: Andrew Ilnyckyj
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
Lemonjelly

Reputation Power: 6
Lemonjelly pfffft.
Trade Count: (3)

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2009, 02:24:45 PM »

Great enclosure, love the look of it.

One question though (i apologize for being such a n00b  :oops: ) How did you secure the enclosure to the car?

Steve - NECM #4

unclejud49348

Reputation Power: 3
unclejud49348 pfffft.
Trade Count: (3)

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2009, 02:46:50 PM »

Tim that looks awesome. You make it look so easy. ( I know it's not easy, but it looks great)

Justin - NHBP Sedan 5AT

(^^ Made by Milan, thanks!)

Quote from: "skizot"
unclejud49348 <--serious, WTF is with that name
timot_one
Farts Dust

timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2009, 03:00:19 PM »

Usually velcro will keep it from toppling over.  You can also bolt it into the floor of the car or trunk panel too if you want to.  Most of the time, just the weight and low center of gravity keeps the enclosure in place.  Unfortunately, this enclosure wasn't as strong as I wanted it to be and the mounting ring broke.  I have it sitting in my storage space so I can fix it and get ti back to Steve this summer.

Tim
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
ROLO

Reputation Power: 8
ROLO pfffft.
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2009, 04:14:20 PM »

Quote from: "Theskip"
Tim you truly are an artist! A very well done piece! Keep up the excellent DIY's and keep churning out those beautiful pieces of artwork!

^^^ Couldn't have said it better  ^^^
timot_one
Farts Dust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2009, 04:54:22 PM »

Thanks, but please don't associate me with those guys.  Nothing against Remy, but that shop is a total rip off because Will Castro can get away with overcharging professional atheletes.

Tim
cna

Reputation Power: 16
cna pfffft.
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2009, 11:45:16 PM »

wow great work on that build

Bad_Black_07
Fucking Newb

Reputation Power: 0
Bad_Black_07 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2009, 10:26:26 PM »

Tim's work on Arie's car was the direct inspiration for mine:

timot_one
Farts Dust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2009, 11:37:07 PM »

Thanks man.  I can't wait to do my own build this summer.  I'm just debating whether I want to have 1 or 2 JL Audio 13TW5's.  Probably 2. :mrgreen:

Tim
Bad_Black_07
Fucking Newb

Reputation Power: 0
Bad_Black_07 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2009, 01:30:13 PM »

Quote from: "timot_one"
Thanks man.  I can't wait to do my own build this summer.  I'm just debating whether I want to have 1 or 2 JL Audio 13TW5's.  Probably 2. :mrgreen:

That sounds nice, great sql!  I am having the box massaged a bit and going into a 12" W7.  Having gone single, the X just isn't quite giving me enough.  I had considered the new Memphis Mojo, but it isn't quite the sql unit that the W7 is.
Pages: « First 1 [2] 3 Last »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal © 2005-2012