Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 05, 2024, 08:59:01 PM
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Next > Last »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: striktlyaccord's audio build...  (Read 27784 times)
striktlyaccord

Reputation Power: 14
striktlyaccord pfffft.
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile WWW
« on: February 27, 2009, 04:57:50 PM »

Well, I think I had a thread like this going on over at the old G7A, but it's gone.  So, what I'm looking for is some suggestions for the path I want to take.  Here's what I'm shooting for:

-Media player & navigation touchscreen unit in the lower cubby area (need navi!)
-Upgrade tweeters (if even possible in stock location, or maybe in sail panel or door panel)
-Upgrade 6.5" speakers in doors
-Upgrade 6x9" speakers in rear deck
-Small and lightweight amp placed in a non-intrusive location
-Wiring, battery parts, and all the other necessary odds and ends
-No subs

I'm working with a budget of around $2k max, and I listen to mostly hip-hop.  Since I never tend to really crank music and I kind of hate excessive bass, I have no desire for a sub.  I also need to retain as much trunk space as necessary because I travel with DJ equipment on a few occasions.  Any input is appreciated.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2009, 08:39:58 PM by striktlyaccord » Logged

Abailey4

Reputation Power: 17
Abailey4 pfffft.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2009, 06:58:15 PM »

Great budget for what you're looking to do. I believe we all know who needs to assist you with this.

-Derrick & Ashley
Couple from NoVa
Car Domain Profile
Mike
Farts Dust

Fan Boys Anonymous

Reputation Power: 95
Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!
Trade Count: (5)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2009, 08:02:52 PM »

Quote from: "Abailey4"
Great budget for what you're looking to do. I believe we all know who needs to assist you with this.

Who me?

I think Tim will agree. Alpine head unit, and 4 channel amp. 6.5 inch components front, and rear(alpine, or Focal).
timot_one
Farts Dust

I act like I own this place, because I do!

Reputation Power: 140
timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2009, 01:44:31 AM »

I can help you with this set up Dave.  If you want me to give you a list of what I would do in my car, if I had your guidelines, here is what I would do:

Alpine IVA-W203/P1 $1200 MSRP
-multimedia head unit/ navigation
Alpine MRP-F300 $230 MSRP
-4x50 watt amplifier
Alpine SPX-17PRO $650 MSRP
-6.5" component speakers
or
Alpine SPX-17REF $400 MSRP
-6.5" component speakers
Alpine SPR-13C $180 MSRP
-5.25" coaxial speakers
or
Alpine SPS-500 $100 MSRP
-5.25" coaxial speakers

Tim
Quote from: Andrew Ilnyckyj
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
striktlyaccord

striktlyaccord pfffft.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2009, 01:32:15 PM »

Thanks for the suggestions Tim.  However, those Alpine 6.5"s are way out of my budget.  Plus, what about suggestions for the rear 6x9's, and what's people's take on Pioneer headunits?

Philly Steve

Reputation Power: 3
Philly Steve pfffft.
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2009, 01:52:16 PM »

I only fuck with Pioneer headunits. Other people will be all about Alpine, but you can't beat the new F series AVICs having built in navi. I think with most Alpine units you need a totally seperate blackbird GPS to connect to it.
I'm not a big fan of alpine speakers either...I've got the Type X sub and I think it sounds like ASS.

I used to have a few Pioneer Premier PRS series amps when I still was using my stock radio. They are pretty small, around 12"x8" and put out up to 600 watt rms. Another option is the Alpine PDX amps which are pretty small.

I really like the new MB Quart speakers. They're cheaper than they used to be but I'm very happy with the quality of the MB Quarts in my car. You can get a set of 6.5" components and 6x9" components for a little under $200 each on ebay.
timot_one
Farts Dust

timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2009, 06:11:46 PM »

Pioneer makes pretty good stuff, but my preference is for Alpine gear.  At the same time, I was just trying to throw out some ideas.  Round speakers actually sound better than oval speakers, which is why I recommended the 5.25"s.  I would honestly suggest that regardless of what you decide to go with, figure out what your total budget for speakers will be.  Spend 80% of that budget on front speakers and 20% on rear speakers.  Trust me on this one, your front speakers are the MOST important component of your entire stereo.  If the Type X's are our of your budget, then try to break it down a little more on what you want to spend on each separate component like this:
Head Unit
Speakers
Amps
Wiring/Terminals/Etc.

I would also make room in your budget for some sound deadening material of some sort.  That will reduce noise in your car, improving the efficiency of your audio system.  After you've determined your budget for speakers, go out and listen to what is in your price range and choose whatever sounds the best to you.  I would go with a 6.5" component in the front, and a 5.25" coaxial or 6"x9" coaxial in the rear.

Tim
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
striktlyaccord

striktlyaccord pfffft.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2009, 02:14:17 AM »

Steve - Thanks for all that input.  I also like the fact that headunits like yours have the navi built in... I'm not a fan of buying multiple pieces to get what I'm looking for.

Tim - Thanks for your input as well.  So you're saying that a round speaker (5.25" in size) in the rear would be better than a 6x9 overall?  I'll also try to see what I can do about the 80/20 price range split that you're mentioning.  So what about the tweeters... would those be useless or are there ways to replace those too?

timot_one
Farts Dust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2009, 02:20:54 AM »

The tweeters would be replaced.

Tim
striktlyaccord

striktlyaccord pfffft.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2009, 05:17:58 PM »

Quote from: "timot_one"
The tweeters would be replaced.

How so... can you explain what the options are a little further?

timot_one
Farts Dust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2009, 05:51:19 PM »

Sure man.  You are better off getting a set of component speakers (midwoofer/tweeter) to replace your stock ones.  You would just use the tweeter from the component speakers to take the place of your stock tweeter.  You can mount the new tweeters in the factory location for a stealth look, or you can consider other options for improved imaging.

Tim
striktlyaccord

striktlyaccord pfffft.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2009, 11:06:23 PM »

^ Would the tweeter be part of the 6.5" in the door, or by component should I be thinking in terms of separate speakers (like I think you kickpods are... if I remember correctly)?

Philly Steve

Reputation Power: 3
Philly Steve pfffft.
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2009, 11:10:35 PM »

The other mounting options that Tim speaks of for better imaging are all over. The most common locations are the sail panels in the front doors (like tim), or flush mounted in the door panels (like me and NY Steve). Or the q-logic kick panels but it doesn't sound like you want to go that in depth. I must say if you decide to cut you door panels make sure you're going to be happy with your tweeter selection. I am happy with my Infinity tweeters but I'd like to put some MB Quart tweeters in the door panels since they aren't as deep and look a little nicer. This would require me getting brand new door panels to mount a new  set of tweeters. I also have a set of tweeters surface mounted in the rear deck but like Tim said your front speakers are your main concern so rear tweeters aren't really necessary.

One day I will get new door panels and mount new tweeters...plus my factory door panels have been accidentally burned by cigarettes too many times. I think i'd get the black door panels with leather to replace my gray.
Mike
Farts Dust

Fan Boys Anonymous

Reputation Power: 95
Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!
Trade Count: (5)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2009, 09:47:21 AM »

Tim has/had the kick panels as well as tweeters on the sail's. I believe his front speakers consists of 2 set's of components.
timot_one
Farts Dust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2009, 10:58:00 AM »

Quote from: "striktlyaccord"
^Would the tweeter be part of the 6.5" in the door, or by component should I be thinking in terms of separate speakers (like I think you kickpods are... if I remember correctly)?

Yes, component speakers are a separate woofer and tweeter with an external crossover.  For your car, I would suggest mounting the woofer in the door in the factory location, and mounting the tweeter in the dash, also in the factory location.  If you really want, you can mount the tweeter somewhere else, but the stealth look will suit your needs and fit your requirements.  I am going to be moving the tweeters in my car into the dash also.

Quote from: "lavalleemike"
Tim has/had the kick panels as well as tweeters on the sail's. I believe his front speakers consists of 2 set's of components.

You are correct Mike, but I have disconnected the tweeters in the kick panels.  Having two sets of tweeters in the physical locations that they are in will just blur the stereo image for reasons that aren't that important to explain in this thread.  It is pointless to have two sets of tweeters in your front stage and will only make things sound worse.  I still have them mounted in the kick panels for now, but will be removing them eventually.  Essentially, I am running a 3 way component set up with a 6.5" midbass crossed over with a bandpass filter on my audio processor (HPF set at 80 Hz with a 18 dB slope and a LPF set at 250 Hz with a 12 dB slope) and 5.25" midrange/tweeter combo with a HPF set at 250 Hz with a 12 dB slope going to the MBQ crossover with the tweeter attenuated at -6 dB and wired 180 degrees out of phase (because they are more than 6" apart).

Tim
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Next > Last »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal © 2005-2012