Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 05, 2024, 04:53:26 PM
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Slipkord's Audio Setup  (Read 4831 times)
slipkord
Veteran

Reputation Power: 31
slipkord is almost recognized as human.slipkord is almost recognized as human.slipkord is almost recognized as human.
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile
« on: March 11, 2010, 09:12:29 AM »

I'm currently looking at a Pioneer 4100DVD for on the cheap. I know some of you don't like Pioneer but I've had them for years and never had any issues with them. I'm thinking about going with the DD kit that fits down in the cubby hole. Although I've been getting an itch to place it up top and do some custom work. I think Tim has done this but from what I hear you have to hack away alot. Pics and advice would be appreciated.

http://www.productwiki.com/pioneer-avh-p4100dvd/
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 10:19:34 AM by slipkord » Logged
Mike
Farts Dust

Fan Boys Anonymous

Reputation Power: 95
Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!
Trade Count: (5)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2010, 09:19:54 AM »

Tim's HU is in the cubby. I believe he's looked into putting it up top but, found it nearly impossiable. But, he will chime in and set me straight if I'm incorrect.
timot_one
Farts Dust

I act like I own this place, because I do!

Reputation Power: 140
timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2010, 12:03:16 PM »

Installing a DD h/u in the upper part of the dash is not a practical option for 2 reasons.  First, there is not enough room for it to fit properly.  Even after I hacked away most of the dash and melted the ducting to reshape it for extra clearance, there was not enough room.  It would require a lot more modification to get it to fit, which most people are not willing to do.  B, modifying your PCB for your HVAC controls is very difficult and tedious.  Even when I had mine resoldered by someone with 20+ years of experience, the controls worked intermittently and were unreliable.  It's not a practical option IMHO.  I attempted this twice with poor results.  This has however given me the inspiration to finish up another project that I've put aside for a few years.

Tim
Quote from: Andrew Ilnyckyj
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
slipkord
Veteran

slipkord is almost recognized as human.slipkord is almost recognized as human.slipkord is almost recognized as human.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2010, 12:07:53 PM »

Looks like it will be going in the cubby. Pics to come later after I get the dash kit from Honda. I'll also be installing one 12" Polk/Momo sub as well. Still figuring out how I want to do the box.
DV8mAn

I'm Tired...

Reputation Power: 4
DV8mAn pfffft.
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2010, 03:10:04 PM »

My 6x9's rock.  lol
CrackerTeg
Farts Dust

No fucks given.

Reputation Power: 99
CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2010, 04:27:55 PM »

Make a FG box that fits into the side of your trunk like what Arie had Tim make for him. Its the same thing I plan on doing when I come back from overseas.

"If one day the speed kills me, do not cry because I was smiling." - Paul Walker
timot_one
Farts Dust

I act like I own this place, because I do!

Reputation Power: 140
timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2010, 05:05:29 PM »

I would recommend a sealed enclosure.  Depending on the type of music you listen to, you may be better off with one 10" sub instead.  If JL Audio made a 10" version of the sub I have, I'd be all over it.  When it comes to fiberglass enclosures, they have some benefits over their MDF counterparts.  You can get the same strength from less material with fiberglass (if the enclosure is built properly) making the enclosure lighter.  The properties of fiberglass make the enclosure appear larger than it is, so you can build a fiberblass enclosure that is 8/10 the size of a MDF enclosure and get the same sound quality.  The fact that it is molded also helps used up unused space which are not as easily achievable with MDF due to the complex curves fiberglass is able to create.

Tim
Quote from: Andrew Ilnyckyj
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
slipkord
Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2010, 03:19:48 PM »

I rode in my brothers new Xb today and he just installed 3 12" Polk subs. That shit was loud! It was shaking the windshield wipers!

I don't need anything like that, just a nice deep tone. I listen to alot of hard rock.
CrackerTeg
Farts Dust

No fucks given.

Reputation Power: 99
CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2010, 04:58:58 PM »

Hence why I have the single SoloBaric 10" sub. Plus, I only paid $30 for the sub and box at a yard sale last year. The asshole didn't know what he had.

"If one day the speed kills me, do not cry because I was smiling." - Paul Walker
slipkord
Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2010, 05:59:42 PM »

lol funny...I love yard sales, people just dont know what they have sometimes, hence your story.

I think one 12 will be plenty, I didnt order the kit yet from the dealership, there's one in atlanta. They might can get it here before they close tomorrow. We'll see...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal © 2005-2012