Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 03, 2024, 09:18:17 AM
Pages: [1] 2 Last »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Got screwed by audio shop, where to go from here?  (Read 9157 times)
ikethegreat

Reputation Power: 24
ikethegreat who is this guy?ikethegreat who is this guy?
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« on: November 14, 2011, 01:29:08 PM »

So the week after I bought my car brand spanking new four years ago, I took my car into the audio shop.  I was a car noob at this point (not much has really changed)  and didn't want to tear up by brand new accord trying to install a sound system.  So I purchased a pair of 6x9s for the rear and a set of polk component speakers for the front doors.  I gave all the speakers to this local audio shop and let them take care of it.  I got it back after the install and everything sounded good and I was happy.

Fast forward four years and as of last week I noticed my passenger side speaker sounded like shit.  So I took the door panel off and sure enough, the speaker was blown.  Then I went to unscrew the speaker so I could toss it out.  That's when I noticed this tar like shit around the outer edge of the speaker.  I had never seen it before but I thought oh well and just peeled it off and took the speaker off. 

Fast forward to today.  I have a new set of polk component speakers on the way so I figured on my lunch break I would pop off the tweeter grills and see what kinda shape they were in.  I planned to replace both door speakers and both tweeters when my new set arrived so I thought I would get a head start removing the tweeters.  After I removed the tweeter grills, that is when the fun started. 

Here is what I found when I opened the driver's side tweeter grill.

Yay! More tar!

Not only did they mount it only with tar (nothing is holding it down but the tar), but they mounted it sideways pointing towards the center of the dash.  Fucking awesome!   

I managed to pull the tweeter out of the opening.  Half of the little holes on the tweeter are clogged with this tar shit!

So then I move onto the passenger side speaker.  I'm dreading what I'll find this time.  I opened up the grill and was shocked to find...

Absolutely nothing.  No tweeter. 

Then I got a bit curious.  Where did the tweet go?  It had to be somewhere.  So I start taking things apart and low and behold, what do I find after dropping my glove box?

The missing tweeter!  Just chillin behind my glove box.  Awesome!  It takes me a good 20 mins and several bloody knuckles to pull the tweeter back up through the tweeter opening. 

So basically here is where I'm at now.  I have  both tweeters hanging out of the tweeter grill, along with what I assume to be the power connector for the OEM tweeters.  I didn't snap a pick of the driver's side, but it looks just like the one below.

Sooooo where do I go from here?  The audio shop that did the original install is no longer in business (SHOCKER!).  I planned to install the replacement speakers and tweeters myself but I have no idea how I'm supposed to mount the tweeters now.  I don't know if they removed the stock mount or not but it is just a big empty hole now.  What can I do?   
gargantula99
Veteran

Not So Evil Monkey!

Reputation Power: 27
gargantula99 who is this guy?gargantula99 who is this guy?
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2011, 04:54:54 PM »

That sucks dude.  I'm in a similar position with my audio shop installing the system on my car.  I should've said no to them installing it when I saw four dudes standing around all the equipment sort of scratching their heads, but they said they could do it.  They said they were just looking for the Active Noise Cancellation.  But I'm thinking they were just trying to figure out how to get this installed with the nav unit.  They kept on looking at wiring diagrams and what not.  I hope they can figure it out next saturday. 

Did you look at a honda website to see if you can just purchase the holder by itself and not have to purchase the crappy tweeter?

2006 Accord V6 6mt Sedan CM6 CBP
timot_one
Farts Dust

I act like I own this place, because I do!

Reputation Power: 140
timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2011, 11:15:09 AM »

Nelson, there is no active noise cancellation in our cars.  They did have that feature in the JDM Inspire though.

Ike, it's obvious why that shop is now closed.  It just sucks that you can't report them to the BBB.  Those dash tweeter covers are replaceable.  The part numbers are 77133-SDA-A01ZA and 77138-SDA-A01ZA for black.  This might be why your amp kept overheating and shutting off.  Let me know if there's anything I can do to help you out with the install of the new speakers.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 11:29:45 AM by timot_one » Logged

Tim
Quote from: Andrew Ilnyckyj
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
gargantula99
Veteran

Not So Evil Monkey!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2011, 11:40:41 AM »

Good to know. Thanks Tim.  I'll keep you posted with what happens this weekend when I go back to the shop.

ikethegreat

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2011, 12:53:34 PM »

Thanks, I just put in the order for new tweeter covers. 
alpha

Reputation Power: 18
alpha pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2011, 05:28:30 PM »

That sucks dude.  I'm in a similar position with my audio shop installing the system on my car.  I should've said no to them installing it when I saw four dudes standing around all the equipment sort of scratching their heads, but they said they could do it.  They said they were just looking for the Active Noise Cancellation.  But I'm thinking they were just trying to figure out how to get this installed with the nav unit.  They kept on looking at wiring diagrams and what not.  I hope they can figure it out next saturday. 

Did you look at a honda website to see if you can just purchase the holder by itself and not have to purchase the crappy tweeter?
Integrating with the NAV system can be quite the feat, depending what you want done..  Making sure to build the custom harness properly is a PITA..

- Mark
cna

Reputation Power: 16
cna pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2011, 06:12:40 PM »

Yeah that's what am going threw now trying wire up a jl clean sweep properly to my nav I can't trust just anyone with the install, and wow looks like they glue the speakers on what a mess I would take the time now to do the job properly and damp everything up

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using Tapatalk

timot_one
Farts Dust

timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2011, 09:22:31 PM »

That's why I never bothered with the OEM navi.  It's easier to integrate with aftermarket products if you ever want to upgrade.  For the record, I originally built the system that Nelson has and installed it in Arie's car.  The amplifier uses speaker level inputs, so it was fairly simple to integrate to the existing system.

Ike, let us know how it works out.

Tim
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
b_beau_09

Reputation Power: 20
b_beau_09 who is this guy?b_beau_09 who is this guy?
Trade Count: (2)

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2011, 11:46:15 PM »

Hey Ike, if you need any help, I'm pretty sure we live in the same area in MD (I'm in Towson).  I have a decent understanding of car audio, and experience with the accords audio system.  let me know bro

-brian
ikethegreat

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2011, 07:48:14 AM »

Thanks for the offer man.  If I run into any problems I'll be sure to get in touch.   Smiley
ikethegreat

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2011, 02:40:58 PM »

Got the new tweeter covers in.  The tweeters don't fit, they are too big.  I guess that explains why the originals were all cut up. 

sigh  Cry
Mike
Farts Dust

Fan Boys Anonymous

Reputation Power: 95
Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!
Trade Count: (5)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2011, 02:45:05 PM »

Post up a picture of your tweeter. Generally material can be removed from the outside of them without effecting performance.
ikethegreat

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2011, 04:03:01 PM »

It is roughly 1/4 of an inch too big in diameter.  Too much to shave off I would think.

timot_one
Farts Dust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2011, 07:00:45 PM »

There are a few things you can do.  Normally, what I do is trim the collar from the tweeter panel, then mount the tweeter with whatever method you prefer.  Plastic welding is usually the best method.  A plastic welding kit is only about $15-20 from Harbor Freight.

Tim
gargantula99
Veteran

Not So Evil Monkey!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2011, 12:26:41 AM »

Black tar that shit and call it a day. Lol.  In all seriousness I would do what Tim says. He's a genius.

Pages: [1] 2 Last »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal © 2005-2012