Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 03, 2024, 02:56:40 AM
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next > Last »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: question about my stereo.  (Read 12492 times)
telavani
Fucking Newb

Reputation Power: 0
telavani pfffft.
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« on: April 03, 2010, 07:47:36 PM »

so i have the stock premium system in my gen7 and i have a system from my previous car. now my question is i have some jl audio tr 6" coax  speakers 4 of them http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_comp ... omp_id=242. i also have two jl audio 10" w1v2's http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_subs ... ries_id=15. so my question is should i use the jl speakers and the subs or wait and use the stock speakers with the subs. if thats not clear i am wondering if the stock speakers can keep up with the subs  enough to sound good.
Paulius005

Reputation Power: 8
Paulius005 pfffft.
Trade Count: (5)

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 11:00:11 PM »

You should definitely use the JL speakers with the JL subs. The subs will overpower the stock speakers by a large amount.

Paulius San Jose, CA
i4 5AT CM7
Mike
Farts Dust

Fan Boys Anonymous

Reputation Power: 95
Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2010, 11:02:21 PM »

Yeah make the upgrade.
Paulius005

Reputation Power: 8
Paulius005 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2010, 11:05:38 PM »

At their optimum wattage both of the subs will produce about 250w RMS, and the total wattage of the stock sound system is about 200ish watts peak I do believe.

Paulius San Jose, CA
i4 5AT CM7
telavani
Fucking Newb

telavani pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2010, 12:31:03 AM »

thats what i figured but the jl speakers seemed under powered compared to the subs but those subs are very surprising. i guess ill just run the coax till i can get some components. my real question i guess was i had no idea what the stock systems specs were and didnt know how to compare
timot_one
Farts Dust

I act like I own this place, because I do!

Reputation Power: 140
timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2010, 02:20:04 PM »

I'd run the aftermarket speakers.

Tim
Quote from: Andrew Ilnyckyj
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
telavani
Fucking Newb

telavani pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2010, 07:58:36 PM »

so i think i have decided to run the jl's for now but upgrade the system to full alpine type r speakers and subs. the next question is you guys opinion. 6x9s for the  rear deck or go to another set of 61/2 components. fell free to say anythign you think about this including other sizes and speaker types.
timot_one
Farts Dust

timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2010, 09:07:36 PM »

Oval speakers have more lateral cone movement, and that causes distortion.  My vote is for round speakers.

Tim
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
telavani
Fucking Newb

telavani pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2010, 01:21:35 AM »

thats what ive always thought but was just getting second opinion. so now the question is do i put coax or component in the rear and what do you guys think of the alpine type r stuff?
timot_one
Farts Dust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2010, 08:04:44 AM »

The front speakers are more important than the rear speakers.  I wouldn't put too much time or money into the rear.

Tim
redHFPcm7

redHFPcm7 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2010, 05:58:15 PM »

The front speakers are more important than the rear speakers.  I wouldn't put too much time or money into the rear.

i disagree . . .  if you want good sound i would recommend changing fronts + rears and adding the sub. After that if want better sound quality that is where you can add and aftermarket radio and a 4 channel if necessary.
timot_one
Farts Dust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2010, 11:26:01 PM »

Really?  You disagree that the front speakers are more important than rear speakers?  Maybe I just have a different approach to things since I always plan out complete systems instead of just swapping speakers and adding a sub.  I have never been a fan of adding a sub and using aftermarket speakers with the stock head unit.  Of course, not everyone is looking for the same quality I expect from a sound system.  Some people are happy with just a sub and call it a day.  I still stand by my statement that the front speakers are the most important choice you can make when building any kind of quality sound system.  I don't know everything, but I do have enough experience and a decent background when it comes to audio.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2010, 11:45:23 PM by timot_one » Logged

Tim
CrackerTeg
Farts Dust

No fucks given.

Reputation Power: 99
CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2010, 06:10:31 AM »

I'm going to have to side with Tim here. Since you're going to be the one in the car alone most of the time, its all about staging. You can replace your rears but you should focus more of your funding towards the front. The rule of thumb is 90/10. Everyone has their own tastes  when it comes to sound but if you have too much speaker in the rear, you'll miss a lot of the higher frequencies you'd get out of the front. Besides, Tim's car is a rolling concert. I've never heard an auto sound system set up like his. You'd pop in a live recording and you literally feel like you're in the front row.

"If one day the speed kills me, do not cry because I was smiling." - Paul Walker
timot_one
Farts Dust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2010, 08:12:00 AM »

I'm not trying to discount Gus' experience.  He did say he is an MECP installer at Best Buy.  I'm sure he's installed plenty of speakers, amps, subs, and head units in his time.  I just make suggestions based on my experience and what I was taught by a MECP certified Master Installer who has built competition vehicles and has had his work featured in magazines.  I'm sure that Gus made his suggestion based on his experience also.  We may have different opinions, but we were both trying to help.

Tim
CrackerTeg
Farts Dust

No fucks given.

Reputation Power: 99
CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2010, 09:54:52 AM »

I hear ya man. I've built systems like what Gus is saying and after hearing yours, I was floored. I felt like I was doing it wrong all this time. Again, its all based on each person's perspective.

"If one day the speed kills me, do not cry because I was smiling." - Paul Walker
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next > Last »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal © 2005-2012