Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 09, 2024, 06:28:55 PM
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next > Last »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I need a new laptop... suggestions?  (Read 9210 times)
striktlyaccord

Reputation Power: 14
striktlyaccord pfffft.
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile WWW
« on: January 10, 2011, 02:57:20 AM »

So I've had my Toshiba Satellite for 7-8 years now and have been very satisfied with it overall, but recently it decided to slow down so badly (something broke internally) that it's basically a paperweight at this point.  All odds point in the direction of getting a new laptop.  I mostly use my laptop for internet access, basic music and video editing, storage (although all music used for when I DJ is run off of an external HD), running multiple programs at once, and of course to run Serato ScratchLive (my DJ software).  So, since I'm in the market for a new laptop, what do you guys recommend that'll meet my needs?  Like I said, I've been really satisfied with Toshiba reliability and am most accustomed to Windows-based PCs, so should I stick to familiar territory (even though I've read some posts about issues between Intel i3, i5, & i7 processors and my DJ program), or should I learn something new and shell out a bit more money by crossing over to Mac territory and get a Macbook Pro or something?  All opinions are welcome.  Thanks in advance.

Mike
Farts Dust

Fan Boys Anonymous

Reputation Power: 95
Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!
Trade Count: (5)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2011, 09:17:03 AM »

My advice would be to stay with what you like. A laptop lasting 8 years is remarkable. If I were in your shoes I would buy another Toshiba product since you have had good luck with them in the past. Check out the Qosmio series of products they are very very impressive. Generally software issues with new hardware get sorted out pretty fast so I'm sure they will fix the compatability issues with your software in no time.
gargantula99
Veteran

Not So Evil Monkey!

Reputation Power: 27
gargantula99 who is this guy?gargantula99 who is this guy?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2011, 10:09:14 AM »

I would stick with Toshiba.  I've been extremely happy with my Satellite.

2006 Accord V6 6mt Sedan CM6 CBP
wtcii

Reputation Power: 25
wtcii who is this guy?wtcii who is this guy?
Trade Count: (2)

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2011, 10:27:18 AM »

I'm sure you guys know what I am going to say. Get a MacBook. If you look at consumer reports, every category Apple has a computer in except for one, the top three or four are all Macs. It's been like that for the past few years too. In my opinion the only downfall is the price. You are probably going to pay twice as much for the same or maybe even lesser specs. Even if it has lesser specs, ram, HD, processor, don't be afraid of it. I guarantee you it will still be fast than a PC. So, basically, if you are willing to spend $1200 plus, go Mac. If not, stick with Toshiba...

Bill C.
SECM member
I guess he has money to burn.  I'd rather waste my money on parts that actually make my car faster, hookers, and drugs.  Fucking amateurs.   :Smiley
alpha

Reputation Power: 18
alpha pfffft.
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2011, 11:38:25 AM »

umm.. if its going to be software incompatibility with the Core i3/i5/i7, then it wouldn't matter if its an Apple product or not.  Most of the new MacBook Pro laptops come with a Core i3/i5/i7 processor.

So you can either save money and get something without the latest processor class, Core 2 Duo's are still very fast and capable processors, or you can get something with faster specs and wait for the software company to release a patch that will make it compatible.  They have to, at least if they want people to continue using their product.

In my opinion, I would stick with what you know, especially if it works for you.

- Mark
cna

Reputation Power: 16
cna pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2011, 12:04:48 PM »

Get a Macbook pro its worth every penny

wtcii

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2011, 12:31:04 PM »

The white MacBook and the base 13" MacBook Pro still have the Core 2 Duo. Both my sister and I have the Core 2 Duo and they are more than enough for anything I could ever need.

Bill C.
SECM member
I guess he has money to burn.  I'd rather waste my money on parts that actually make my car faster, hookers, and drugs.  Fucking amateurs.   :Smiley
cna

Reputation Power: 16
cna pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2011, 12:45:36 PM »

The white MacBook and the base 13" MacBook Pro still have the Core 2 Duo. Both my sister and I have the Core 2 Duo and they are more than enough for anything I could ever need.

and come with 10hr battery with should be more then reasonable compair to other notebooks on the market

driveaccord

Reputation Power: 3
driveaccord pfffft.
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2011, 03:17:40 PM »

ive had my macbook for 2 years and love it....no complaints

gargantula99
Veteran

Not So Evil Monkey!

Reputation Power: 27
gargantula99 who is this guy?gargantula99 who is this guy?

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2011, 04:19:36 PM »

Either/or you'd be good with.  Mac book or Toshiba.  Having a laptop for 8 years is miraculous.  Then again, anything  you get now a days would be blazing fast compared with your old laptop.  A good friend of mine has a mac book and he's running windows on it.  I'm amazed at how fast that thing is.  Of course it did cost him a lot more than my Toshiba.  In end its your preference.

2006 Accord V6 6mt Sedan CM6 CBP
Mike
Farts Dust

Fan Boys Anonymous

Reputation Power: 95
Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!
Trade Count: (5)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2011, 07:17:25 PM »

Why bother over paying and learning a new OS?
thisaznboi88

Reputation Power: 24
thisaznboi88 who is this guy?thisaznboi88 who is this guy?
Trade Count: (6)

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2011, 12:45:50 AM »

If the toshiba works great. I would not switch up brands. try getting a Core 2 duo or maybe AMD processor. Also check slick deal often, they have really excellent deals on electronic stuff.

I also looked at the problem with the i-series and your dj software. The only problem seems to be with the old usb 1.1 and it not reading or crashing the program. That can be easily fixed with a BIOS update.

http://serato.com/faq/scratchlive#6157

« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 12:48:43 AM by thisaznboi88 » Logged

~~FlashPro tuned by domgsr-t~~
Kinda Flashpro tuned by http://vittuned.com/
striktlyaccord

Reputation Power: 14
striktlyaccord pfffft.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2011, 01:17:47 AM »

umm.. if its going to be software incompatibility with the Core i3/i5/i7, then it wouldn't matter if its an Apple product or not.  Most of the new MacBook Pro laptops come with a Core i3/i5/i7 processor.

True.  Both Apple and Windows-based PCs come with these i-series processors now, so it's an issue either way.  Serato says that Core 2 Duo processors experience less problems, but if I do go with i3, i5, or i7, a basic computer update may work (as suggested by thisaznboi88).  Either way, even though there will be some crossover issues with some programs I use now and a learning curve, the Macbook Pros are very tempting.  I just wish they weren't so damn pricey.  The entry- level one is priced okay, but a 13" screen is kinda small.  It's funny though, because on my DJ forum, almost everyone suggested to go Apple and don't turn back.  Here however, the opinions are leaning more towards sticking with Toshiba lol.  Yes, it lasted 7 years (and can still last, just very slowly), but I also took great care of it.  My first laptop (Compaq) was nothing but a piece of shit that eventually hit the "3 repairs = we'll give you a new computer" policy at Best Buy.  What a nightmare.

Side note:  I think it's pretty neat how you can run both Windows and the OSX operating system on a Mac, and vice versa on a PC.  How much does it cost to get this to happen though?
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 01:53:26 AM by striktlyaccord » Logged

timot_one
Farts Dust

I act like I own this place, because I do!

Reputation Power: 140
timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2011, 08:59:00 AM »

I've been happy with my Asus.  It's a netbook, but it works well for what it's intended for.  I know a lot of computer guys that prefer Asus because they manufacture a lot of the parts that most other companies put in their machines.  I am however not a computer guy, so this should be taken with a grain of salt.

Tim
Quote from: Andrew Ilnyckyj
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
wtcii

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2011, 09:43:43 AM »

Dave- I am not sure of a legitimate way to put Mac OSX on a PC. For a mac though, you have two options. You can either bootcamp it or run parallels. Bootcamp, the computer boots up in either OSX or a Windows OS that you pick one you first turn it on. Parallels, you always boot up in OSX but you can run windows as an app, so basically, it is just open in another window and you can minimize it if you want. Bootcamp is free and comes on every Mac, all you have to do is buy the windows Operating System. I currently have Windows 7 Home Premium on mine, I "had to have" a windows machine for a class last semester. The professor was convinced it wouldn't work on anything else. Parallels, you have to buy. I think it is around $150. I'm not really sure, I bootcamped mine which was very easy. Basically, you open up disc utility then insert the install disc and you're done once it's done.

As far as the learning curve for the Mac OSX, there really isn't much of one. I got my first Mac last year. It probably took me a week or two of just messing around on it to get all the necessities down. Then, probably a month to learn and remember all the hand gestures and keyboard commands. I think the hardest transition is going from Mac to PC because the PC seems to be missing a lot of what the Mac has to offer where the Mac has everything the PC has plus more.

Bill C.
SECM member
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next > Last »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal © 2005-2012