Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 05, 2024, 03:59:03 PM
Pages: [1] 2 Last »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: IPA Wipedown  (Read 7322 times)
alpha

Reputation Power: 18
alpha pfffft.
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« on: June 30, 2009, 07:17:41 PM »

Does anyone here do an IPA wipedown?  Is it really necessary?

If you do, do you dilute it?  If so, how strong of a mixture? 50/50?  And what concentration alcohol?

- Mark
timot_one
Farts Dust

I act like I own this place, because I do!

Reputation Power: 140
timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2009, 10:25:16 PM »

I don't know what it is, but I'm curious.

Tim
Quote from: Andrew Ilnyckyj
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
b_beau_09

Reputation Power: 20
b_beau_09 who is this guy?b_beau_09 who is this guy?
Trade Count: (2)

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2009, 10:55:17 PM »

Isopropyl alcohol.. i think it removes any sealants or wax that's protecting the paint, so that you can build up a new protective layering.

i've never done it..

-brian
InFuMoUs

Reputation Power: 5
InFuMoUs pfffft.
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2009, 11:32:07 PM »

I never went that route either. I usually just do the wash, clay, polish, glaze, sealant, then wax.

Steve - NYCM Squad/Team Crazy Creashunz
EliteCM Profile

Paulius005

Reputation Power: 8
Paulius005 pfffft.
Trade Count: (5)

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2009, 01:23:09 AM »

To get all your wax/polish/sealant/anything off use Dawn, the dish washing soap. Will get it all off. It's even what Zaino recommends doing before detailing your car with their products...

Paulius San Jose, CA
i4 5AT CM7
alpha

alpha pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2009, 01:47:02 AM »

It is isopropyl alcohol.  It's typically used just after the polish step to clean up any polish residue left over and it is supposed to help the sealant and/or wax adhere to the paint better.

I'm just curious if it does actually help clean up any leftover residue and help the sealant and/or wax adhere better?  Also, if it strips any polish that was used?

- Mark
alpha

alpha pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2009, 02:54:07 AM »

Oh, and its supposed to help verify paint correction, i.e. swirl mark removal, scratch removal; and that the polish isn't just filling in imperfections with the lubrication oils.

Essentially, I'm trying to find out how much of a problem a LSP has sticking to the paint surface after the polish step without doing an IPA wipedown.

Granted, the alcohol should be cheap, so I don't have an issue with that.  I just want to make sure the alcohol won't have any adverse effects and somehow ruin the paint finish?

- Mark
timot_one
Farts Dust

I act like I own this place, because I do!

Reputation Power: 140
timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2009, 01:25:45 PM »

I've used it for cleaning body parts before installing lip kits, so I don't see why it would hurt your paint in any way if you did it.

Tim
Quote from: Andrew Ilnyckyj
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
Mike
Farts Dust

Fan Boys Anonymous

Reputation Power: 95
Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!
Trade Count: (5)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2009, 02:02:24 PM »

Quote from: "timot_one"
I've used it for cleaning body parts before installing lip kits, so I don't see why it would hurt your paint in any way if you did it.

+1 it is in Hondas instructions for installing the HFP lip kit for the 7th gen.
InFuMoUs

Reputation Power: 5
InFuMoUs pfffft.
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2009, 04:39:00 PM »

It might not have any problem on paint, but rubber and vinyl might be a different story. I could be wrong, but it can probably dry it up or cause it to fade.

Steve - NYCM Squad/Team Crazy Creashunz
EliteCM Profile

clapton924

Reputation Power: 6
clapton924 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2009, 11:41:27 AM »

+1 on using dish soap to remove old wax/sealant. I think I would only use alcohol for special tasks like lip kits etc.
alpha

alpha pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2009, 10:38:47 PM »

Quote from: "InFuMoUs"
It might not have any problem on paint, but rubber and vinyl might be a different story. I could be wrong, but it can probably dry it up or cause it to fade.
I'm planning on taping up the car, so rubber and vinyl pieces should be covered.

Quote from: "clapton924"
+1 on using dish soap to remove old wax/sealant. I think I would only use alcohol for special tasks like lip kits etc.

I'm not planning to use the alcohol to remove old wax and sealant.  I'm planning to use it to clean up polish residue so to be sure that the paint is fully corrected.  At this stage, old wax and sealant should already have been stripped.

- Mark
clapton924

clapton924 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2009, 07:38:31 PM »

Quote from: "alpha"

I'm not planning to use the alcohol to remove old wax and sealant.  I'm planning to use it to clean up polish residue so to be sure that the paint is fully corrected.  At this stage, old wax and sealant should already have been stripped.

Oh sorry, I misread your post.  I've never heard of people wiping their paint down with IPA after applying polish.  Once the polish is fully broken down you should be able to wipe down any residue with a MF towel.  I spend a lot of time on Autopia and Autogeek and this alcohol thing is new to me.
alpha

alpha pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2009, 12:37:00 AM »

Quote from: "alpha"

Oh sorry, I misread your post.  I've never heard of people wiping their paint down with IPA after applying polish.  Once the polish is fully broken down you should be able to wipe down any residue with a MF towel.  I spend a lot of time on Autopia and Autogeek and this alcohol thing is new to me.

I actually saw a thread about it on Autopia, which is why I decided to ask about how many people do it.  I read it somewhere, and it peaked my interest, so I started searching about more info on it.

I've just never heard of it before, so I was curious about how many people actually do it.  I know there are some on autopia and autogeek that do, but I'm curious how many more people outside of those forums might do it.

I used to lurk a bit on Autopia and Autogeek, but I've recently decided to step up my game, so I finally signed up.  It's fairly overwhelming with how much I've read lately, but I'm learning a lot. :-)

http://www.autopia.org/forum/car-detail ... edown.html
http://www.autopia.org/forum/machine-po ... stion.html
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/aut ... -down.html

- Mark
clapton924

clapton924 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2009, 02:24:49 AM »

Yeah, the "professional" detailing methods on those sites are enough to make your head spin.  I do not think many people do this...only those super crazed about car detailing.  From what I read the IPA is used to remove any residual polish that might be filling in surface imperfections on your paint.  Personally, this seems rather anal to me...

It seems the popular mix is to go with 50% in a 50/50 solution. Most spray it on a MF towel then wipe the paint...being mindful of plastics and trim.

Give it a shot it you want...personally, I think this is a bit overkill...maybe our expert detailer (DeepGloss) will chime in.
Pages: [1] 2 Last »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal © 2005-2012