Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 03, 2024, 10:33:19 AM
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tire Pressure Issue - Getting the runaround so need some opinions.  (Read 4491 times)
Accord Euro-R

Reputation Power: 5
Accord Euro-R pfffft.
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile WWW
« on: August 31, 2010, 05:58:21 PM »

Here is the situation: My front, passenger tire is constantly leaking air.  However the issue is not nearly that simple.  I keep my tires (Hankook Ventus EV-4S @ 225/40-18) at about 34PSI at all times.  Every other tire is fine, however this tire over the course of a week will lose about 9-10PSI and I have to fill it back up. I took it to a tire place, and they couldnt find anything wrong with the tire so they said it must be the wheel.  Took the wheel to a wheel repair facility, wheel was fine, said it had to be the tire! 

The weird thing is that even if I let it go for 2 weeks, the tire NEVER drops below 25PSI.  The ONLY thing I can even think of at this point is that if something is wrong with the valve stem that is causing a slow leak.  Any other ideas or opinions?

"Euro-R" Concept - USDM CM82
Mike
Farts Dust

Fan Boys Anonymous

Reputation Power: 95
Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!
Trade Count: (5)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2010, 06:21:29 PM »

Try a can of fix a flat and see if it goes away it may seal what ever small leak you have.
MyNameIsThien

Reputation Power: 0
MyNameIsThien hides in shadows.
Trade Count: (2)

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2010, 08:02:31 PM »

DO NOT USE FIX A FLAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would try to take it to another place to get their opinion. Did they dunk the wheel and tire in water? It could be a valve stem issue, or you may have caught a nail so small that its causing a slow leak, or the lip of your rim is kind of corroded and the tire is not fully seated to the rim, or you may have a crack in your rim and its causing a leak as well. These I have listed are all possiblity for a leak in your tire/rim.
v6sicksspeed

Reputation Power: 7
v6sicksspeed pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2010, 01:54:01 PM »

valve stem was my first thought.  the odd part is that it stops at 25psi???

J u s t i n
timot_one
Farts Dust

I act like I own this place, because I do!

Reputation Power: 140
timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2010, 02:55:11 PM »

I'd have them pull the tire off, replace the valve stem, then remount the tire. 

Tim
Quote from: Andrew Ilnyckyj
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
wtcii

Reputation Power: 25
wtcii who is this guy?wtcii who is this guy?

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2010, 07:45:58 PM »

Why should we not use fix a flat Thien?

Bill C.
SECM member
I guess he has money to burn.  I'd rather waste my money on parts that actually make my car faster, hookers, and drugs.  Fucking amateurs.   :Smiley
fabulous010

Reputation Power: 7
fabulous010 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2010, 07:59:09 PM »

why not just fill your tire to 40psi then put a soapy solution on it. that would be the cheapest and quickest way to test. if you cant spot nothing then i would do what everyone else mentioned

MyNameIsThien

Reputation Power: 0
MyNameIsThien hides in shadows.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2010, 10:24:16 PM »

Why should we not use fix a flat Thien?

Fix a flat does not work. Let alone, it leaves nasty gummy residue that can cause more damage to your tires rather then fixing it. The chemicals in it can eat away at wheel finishes, deteriate rubber, and if you have a TPMS, damage that as well.
timot_one
Farts Dust

timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2010, 11:05:36 PM »

On top of that, you'll never be able to balance it properly.

Tim
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
Mike
Farts Dust

Fan Boys Anonymous

Reputation Power: 95
Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!
Trade Count: (5)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2010, 07:40:10 AM »

Hmmm... Good to know I've used it in the past when stuck in situations.
Accord Euro-R

Reputation Power: 5
Accord Euro-R pfffft.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2010, 08:05:38 PM »

Well got it all taken care of today.....basically the inner sidewall of the tire was somehow slashed almost 2/3 the way around...but the slash was so thin they didnt notice it until the tire was taken off the wheel.  Long story short I had to get a brand new tire and everything was fine.

"Euro-R" Concept - USDM CM82
timot_one
Farts Dust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2010, 09:23:03 PM »

Glad it got cleared up.  That's a weird issue.

Tim
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal © 2005-2012