Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 05, 2024, 07:34:00 AM
Pages: [1] 2 Last »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Door Rattling  (Read 10012 times)
Jeff Likes Bagels

Reputation Power: 21
Jeff Likes Bagels who is this guy?Jeff Likes Bagels who is this guy?
Trade Count: (3)

View Profile WWW
« on: February 13, 2010, 04:21:46 PM »

I took of the front door panels in an attempt to figure out what's causing so much rattling, and it turns out that it's nothing actually in the door panels. It's the two white layers of plastic tarpish stuff glued onto the door itself. Whenever I play music, the two pieces hit each other (or something behind them that I can't see) and cause this very annoying rattling. I taped it up a bunch to try and reduce the rattling, and it works for low volumes, but once I crank up the sound, the rattling comes back. Could I get some advice in how I should tackle this? I'm going to be hopefully ordering some B-Quiet dynamat material soon, so that should help, but I'd like to figure out something while I still have the panels off.

Abailey4

Reputation Power: 17
Abailey4 pfffft.
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2010, 04:56:50 PM »

I've got rattling inside my passenger side door as well. Mine actually sounds like the window is shaking around in there but it operates find. It only does it though when I'm driving, bass doesnt affect it. It's been like that for a while, I'm just too lazy to take the panel off to see what the culprit is.

-Derrick & Ashley
Couple from NoVa
Car Domain Profile
Jeff Likes Bagels

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2010, 05:15:49 PM »

God damnit. After all that work, it turns out that it's actually the wood trim that's rattling. I found that if I leave the main support screw off, it doesn't rattle. Right now I'm wondering if I should leave it off or figure something else out. Without that screw, the door panel could be more prone to popping off. Ugh.

Edit: There was no way that I could reach the underside of the wood trim without having to break stuff, so I ended up leaving these support screws out. The interior door grip areas are a little more flexible, but I don't think the door will pop off. Let's hope and see. As far as rattling goes, I got most of it out. Lucky me though, as I'm listening for rattles, I hear more coming from the tweeters now. Oh joy.

CrackerTeg
Farts Dust

No fucks given.

Reputation Power: 99
CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2010, 06:46:52 PM »

That's kind of the problem with rattles. As soon as you think you have it beat, more pop up. Good luck with your hunt Jeff. I'm too old and lazy to try and find rattles. I just learned to deal.

"If one day the speed kills me, do not cry because I was smiling." - Paul Walker
timot_one
Farts Dust

I act like I own this place, because I do!

Reputation Power: 140
timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2010, 06:55:47 PM »

Ohhhhhh.  That's why you were asking me about the b-quiet the other day.  Did you remove the weather shield (white plastic tarp thing-a-mingy) and see what was behind it?

I'm like Z, except I'm older and lazier.  My car rattles like a motherfucker and new ones always pop up.  Considering the number of times I've taken my interior apart and the amount of power and number/size of subwoofers I had in previous stereo set ups, there's bound to be at least one or two rattles.

Tim
Quote from: Andrew Ilnyckyj
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
Jeff Likes Bagels

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2010, 06:56:14 PM »

Thanks Z. I used bubble wrap to insulate certain areas of the door. I just squished it in between the two plastic tarp layers, lol.

CrackerTeg
Farts Dust

No fucks given.

CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2010, 07:05:38 PM »

Hey, if it works and its cheap, fuck it right?

Tim, you might be older chronologically but I highly doubt you could feel as old and lazy as I do. I have kids.

"If one day the speed kills me, do not cry because I was smiling." - Paul Walker
timot_one
Farts Dust

I act like I own this place, because I do!

Reputation Power: 140
timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2010, 11:30:06 PM »

Jeff, bubble wrap will not do.  I would recommend that you use proper materials to reduce vibration.  The bubble wrap is just stuffed in there, and while it may separate the weather seal, it's not really a reliable solution.  FWIW, I removed mine a while ago.

Tim
Quote from: Andrew Ilnyckyj
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
Jeff Likes Bagels

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2010, 09:33:28 AM »

Yeah, I know that it's a really jury rigged attempt to get rid of the rattling, but once I can actually get some of the B Quiet stuff you recommended me, I'll probably be more motivated to do a better job, lol. I just wanted to do something that worked.

Paulius005

Reputation Power: 8
Paulius005 pfffft.
Trade Count: (5)

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2010, 12:28:59 AM »

I realized that if you lube up the back of the door panels they stop rattling, i just put some grease on areas which seemed like they would be causing the problem and no more rattles from the doors... now if i can make my damn glove box stop sagging...

Paulius San Jose, CA
i4 5AT CM7
CrackerTeg
Farts Dust

No fucks given.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2010, 07:52:25 AM »

Grease in the door panels? You mean lubing up rub points?

Mike
Farts Dust

Fan Boys Anonymous

Reputation Power: 95
Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2010, 08:30:37 AM »

Quote from: "Paulius005"
I realized that if you lube up the back of the door panels they stop rattling, i just put some grease on areas which seemed like they would be causing the problem and no more rattles from the doors... now if i can make my damn glove box stop sagging...

Mine sags a bit to let me know if you find a solution to this.
Paulius005

Paulius005 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2010, 01:27:11 PM »

Quote from: "CrackerTeg"
Grease in the door panels? You mean lubing up rub points?

Yeah on the backs of the door panels... made that stop making noises, so I'm content.

Paulius San Jose, CA
i4 5AT CM7
CrackerTeg
Farts Dust

No fucks given.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2010, 10:41:01 PM »

Good to know. I'm assuming you used silicone grease?

Paulius005

Paulius005 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2010, 07:47:14 PM »

Yes sir.

On the glovebox sagging issue, there are two screws on the bottom of it that you can unscrew push up the glove box using some muscle and then screw back it...helped a bit, but not much.

Paulius San Jose, CA
i4 5AT CM7
Pages: [1] 2 Last »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal © 2005-2012