Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 05, 2024, 12:08:14 PM
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next > Last »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Katzkin Installation **UPDATE** with pictures  (Read 18436 times)
wtcii

Reputation Power: 25
wtcii who is this guy?wtcii who is this guy?
Trade Count: (2)

View Profile
« on: January 05, 2010, 05:22:20 PM »

So, I found what I believe to be an amazing deal on Katzkin seat covers for my car that I couldn't pass up. I plan to eventually turn this into a DIY, but for now it is a question thread. I have no idea what I am doing. My Dad owned a furniture manufacturing company, The Rose Hill, for 20 years, so he has a little more knowledge then me. He ran the company not built furniture so he is just about as clueless as I am. Does anyone here have any experience with car upholstery? I have been browsing some other forums and from what I have read it is hard but not impossible. Im just looking for some tips. I hope to have the covers in by Friday and knock it out this week end. Thanks

**UPDATE**
I am now a LX-L

So, all seating surface have been installed. The only thing that I lack is to install the center arm rest, door panel inserts, and to get the last rear bolster made/installed. As far as quality, I couldn't be happier. My covers were the premium quality so they have leather in the front and back. If you get the standard you only have leather in the front. According to my research, all Accords with OEM leather have all vinyl in the back. Meaning the only leather that you actually get is the inserts in the front. The install is not bad at all. It is very simple but difficult, disregard the paradox. You only need basic tools. I used a 3/8 and 1/2 inch ratchet, various sockets, needle nose pliers, and a good utility knife. As far as materials you need the kit, spray adhesive and glue gun for panels, and about 100 zip ties. I bought the 4" small zip ties but it would have been much better if they were longer. I get more technical with the DIY when I make it. I still want to try to make the back seat look better but I was able to make the cup holder look better today .I have spent about ten hours thus far and in vision myself spending 2-5 more hours. In my opinion, the $500 +/- that you will spend having a pro is not worth it. On to the pictures. The flash really drains the color and they are not two tone. I'm guessing leather and vinyl react differently to the camera flash. I think the some of the wrinkles will flatten out because they were folded in the box. I think some of the edges will smooth out as well.
Driver Seat

Side View

Back Seat Notice the cloth bolster lol

Both

Passenger
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 07:14:00 PM by wtcii » Logged

Bill C.
SECM member
I guess he has money to burn.  I'd rather waste my money on parts that actually make my car faster, hookers, and drugs.  Fucking amateurs.   :Smiley
mnkyman

Reputation Power: 5
mnkyman pfffft.
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2010, 06:19:37 PM »

did you buy the silver leather kit on ebay for like $200? ...i was looking at that

If you really are "clueless" i would recommend having this professionally done...don't forget, there are side airbags in those seats

Sam -|- 2006 I4 Sedan SE
wtcii

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2010, 06:41:11 PM »

I'm clueless as in I have never done it. My Dad can upholster a couch, so I am hoping there are some common principles. I have done a bit of research and it doesnt seem that bad. It's meticulous and patience is a must. I have read that instead of using hog rings again, use zip ties. As for the professional install. I called the only Katzkin dealer around me and they said they wont do it unless they order the kit. I want to use a reputable shop and figured they were a pretty good judge. So I figured as little as I paid, it's worth a try. It was going to be $1250 + 7.25% tax out the door. I did not but they grey kit. I bought a sandstone one from south_dallas_auto_parts. It shipped today, so we will see. I watched a DIY video for a F-150 and it seemed really easy.

Bill C.
SECM member
I guess he has money to burn.  I'd rather waste my money on parts that actually make my car faster, hookers, and drugs.  Fucking amateurs.   :Smiley
mnkyman

Reputation Power: 5
mnkyman pfffft.
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2010, 12:06:23 AM »

Quote from: "wtcii"
I'm clueless as in I have never done it. My Dad can upholster a couch, so I am hoping there are some common principles. I have done a bit of research and it doesnt seem that bad. It's meticulous and patience is a must. I have read that instead of using hog rings again, use zip ties. As for the professional install. I called the only Katzkin dealer around me and they said they wont do it unless they order the kit. I want to use a reputable shop and figured they were a pretty good judge. So I figured as little as I paid, it's worth a try. It was going to be $1250 + 7.25% tax out the door. I did not but they grey kit. I bought a sandstone one from south_dallas_auto_parts. It shipped today, so we will see. I watched a DIY video for a F-150 and it seemed really easy.

i saw that one too lol

Ya it doesn't sound to hard, i guess i'm just a little cautious with anything that has to do with an airbag. You don't necessarily have to go through a katzskin dealer to get it installed, most reputable shops have installed katzskin kits...just saying, best of luck on the install...and if you do it all on your own, take LOTS of pictures and make a diy please Smiley

Sam -|- 2006 I4 Sedan SE
wtcii

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2010, 07:13:13 AM »

Luckily, in this case, I don't have side air bags. So that will not be a concern. I will make sure to take plenty of pictures and turn it into a DIY, if all goes well. They should be here tomorrow.

Bill C.
SECM member
timot_one
Farts Dust

I act like I own this place, because I do!

Reputation Power: 140
timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2010, 08:22:29 AM »

Don't forget to grease up your seats before you slip the leather on.  I prefer to use lard, but you can also use schmaltz.

Tim
Quote from: Andrew Ilnyckyj
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
CrackerTeg
Farts Dust

No fucks given.

Reputation Power: 99
CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2010, 08:28:01 AM »

Lard is good lube to slide the covers on. Another good one is astro glide but everyone has their preferences.

Wait a minute. What were we talking about again?

"If one day the speed kills me, do not cry because I was smiling." - Paul Walker
slipkord
Veteran

Reputation Power: 31
slipkord is almost recognized as human.slipkord is almost recognized as human.slipkord is almost recognized as human.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2010, 08:57:55 AM »

^^No comment.

Good luck Bill, can't want to see the DIY!
wtcii

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2010, 10:03:58 PM »

Z.....

Do I really need to lube the seats?

Bill C.
SECM member
timot_one
Farts Dust

I act like I own this place, because I do!

Reputation Power: 140
timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2010, 11:07:47 PM »

Yeah.  Use lots of asstroglide!!

Tim
Quote from: Andrew Ilnyckyj
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
CYANiDE

Reputation Power: 8
CYANiDE pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2010, 12:46:18 AM »

Make sure it's the two pack. One bottle for the start of the install and another bottle to use as a leather condition.

Eric.
2006 Honda Accord EX 2.4L Sedan
CrackerTeg
Farts Dust

No fucks given.

Reputation Power: 99
CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2010, 01:42:53 PM »

Yes Bill. Astroglide is the way to go. If you can't find it, KY is a good alternative.

"If one day the speed kills me, do not cry because I was smiling." - Paul Walker
wtcii

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2010, 07:16:31 PM »

Ok, so the covers came in today. They are great! I swear they are softer than Lexus leather. I have the passenger back on and it looks pretty good. Everything is tight and looks good. It's not all that difficult, you just need to have patience. Also, I dont really see a need for a DIY. I still took pictures though. We will see. I am about to finish up the passenger side then I will report back with pictures.

Bill C.
SECM member
wtcii

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2010, 08:43:48 PM »

The passenger seat is installed!!! I think it looks great. It is not perfect, but I didnt expect it to be. I think I am going to have to get a pro to do the head rests so the cloth is still on that in the pictures. The bottom portion is much easier than the back. This really isnt that bad. I spent about 2 hours on it, which isnt bad. It would be around 500 to get a pro to do it but I would much rather save that money. The camera kind of drains the color of the seats. They are darker then what they appear in the picture.

Bill C.
SECM member
Mike
Farts Dust

Fan Boys Anonymous

Reputation Power: 95
Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!
Trade Count: (5)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2010, 10:32:09 PM »

I think it looks really good... Keep up the good work
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next > Last »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal © 2005-2012