Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 05, 2024, 02:42:46 PM
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next > Last »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: gauges  (Read 15684 times)
Icebox

Reputation Power: 12
Icebox pfffft.
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile
« on: October 20, 2009, 02:49:26 PM »

what type and brand of gauges are you all using? i know that in most cases(n/a) they are useless but for fi they are a necessity. just looking for insight.

David - MDVACM Squad #13

My EliteCM Profile
Mike
Farts Dust

Fan Boys Anonymous

Reputation Power: 95
Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!
Trade Count: (5)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2009, 03:05:46 PM »

I don't know about useless. It's always good to know your oil pressue, air fuel ratio and other parameters. AEM makes good stuff from what i've seen
Knocturnal84

Reputation Power: 4
Knocturnal84 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2009, 04:41:51 PM »

i have the AEM UEGO and the the other two gauges are Tranny Temp and Oil Pressure from Autometer. Purchased all this stuff for the cam install. They will come in handy when i go turbo or supercharged

Like lavalleemike said thet are very usefull

Sean Artsen
BrianCrower K24
FLCM #6 Tallahassee Subsquad Leader
#6 on the PHI line of the Seshait Chapter of Alpha Rho Chi
kSchwiggy

Reputation Power: 1
kSchwiggy pfffft.
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2009, 05:50:08 PM »

Defi black face gauges.... outstanding and they match the OEM cluster nicely
kSchwiggy

kSchwiggy pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2009, 05:53:15 PM »

if you are completely stock then yes theyre useless.

if you have an engine build or major engine work, they are absolutely not useless even for a naturally aspirated engine.

I'm N/A and i have boost/vacum (obviously just reads the vacum side), oil pressure, oil temp, and fuel pressure (monitor the external FPR installed). the most "useless" gauge there is probably  the boost/vacum, however knowing the amount of vacum is beneficial for some parts of tuning the engine.

theyre all good gauges to have to be able to catch a problem relatively early or just keep better tabs on how everything is running.
timot_one
Farts Dust

I act like I own this place, because I do!

Reputation Power: 140
timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2009, 08:51:55 PM »

Right now I have AEM gauges and a PLX gauge.  The AEM gauges are for a/f ratio, oil pressure, and voltage.  The PLX gauge is connected to my OBDII port (which is connected to my KPro ECU) and a vacuum/boost sensor and displays 4 different parameters at once.  Boost, vacuum, AIT, and coolant temp.  I don't like how the vacuum/boost gauge doesn't display in one line, so I'm ditching the PLX device and replacing my boost gauge with an AEM boost gauge.  I will probably end up running a HKS CAMP2 to replace all the other functions that the PLX device does right now.  Considering my future plans, I'm re-thinking a few things right now.

Tim
Quote from: Andrew Ilnyckyj
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
Icebox

Reputation Power: 12
Icebox pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2009, 02:27:51 PM »

i know i want to get a/f, oil pressure and boost/vacuum. im unsure on the brands of gauges to go with. ive read that the a/f ratio gauge is one of the more important ones(brand choice=accuracy), but i like the way the autometer gauges compliment my future type-s gauges, ive just heard of poor reviews on their a/f gauges.

David - MDVACM Squad #13

My EliteCM Profile
CrackerTeg
Farts Dust

No fucks given.

Reputation Power: 99
CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2009, 04:07:57 PM »

The only Autometer A/F guage I know of (which isn't saying much) is one that's a pure light show. Back in my ricer days (LOOOOOOOOOOONG ago) I had one that did nothing but sweep back and forth. That time, it looked cool, but now that I know better, it really wasn't telling me shit. I've heard nothing but good things on the AEM UEGO and would go with that personally. I'm not big in matching my guages. I'd rather have something that works as opposed to looks good especially when it comes to monitoring my engine parameters.

"If one day the speed kills me, do not cry because I was smiling." - Paul Walker
kSchwiggy

kSchwiggy pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2009, 05:43:27 PM »

the AEM A/F gauge is great...

you could do what i did... remote wire the 3 number display for the AEM gauge... bury the gauge itself under the dash and just mount the numbers. the green/yellow/red lights are pretty much worthless if you know what you're looking at in terms of AFR numbers

(bottom left)

timot_one
Farts Dust

timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2009, 10:39:08 PM »

For a simple gauge install, I would recommend AEM.  Their a/f gauge is definitely a good choice.  I got their other gauges so all my aftermarket gauges matched.

Tim
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
fabulous010

Reputation Power: 7
fabulous010 pfffft.
Trade Count: (2)

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2009, 02:48:23 PM »

tim do you have any pics for us to see. i am also interested in getting some gauges. at first i just wanted a oil pressure gauge but am considering getting a/f and possibly oil temp or battery. is there only one gauge pillar we can get for our cars? (tripod 52mm grey)

timot_one
Farts Dust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2009, 03:09:20 PM »

This is the only picture I have of my gauges.  I'll try to take some better pics when I have time.

Tim
fabulous010

fabulous010 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2009, 05:38:10 PM »

thats look good. i dont really like the glossyness of the pillar. but i cant find any other ones. i think i will get the same set up... thanks tim.

timot_one
Farts Dust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2009, 11:24:14 PM »

Yeah, I'm not that crazy about how it's glossy.  I was going to wrap it in black vinyl, but realized that it would be pretty tough due to the shape.  I'm sure you could scuff it up or repaint it to dull it a little bit.

Tim
fabulous010

fabulous010 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2009, 10:33:34 AM »

i cant believe how expensive each gauge is. this set up will cost me over $900 wow. all i really want is an oil pressure gauge.. lol

Pages: [1] 2 3 Next > Last »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal © 2005-2012