Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 11:01:14 AM
Pages: [1] 2 Last »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ARC splitters  (Read 11489 times)
BliNx197

Reputation Power: 7
BliNx197 pfffft.
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« on: March 18, 2009, 01:06:33 AM »

Hey does anybody which ARC front splitters ItzJohn used to have on his Accord? Ive seen them for about $180 online but wasnt sure which ones I should order

they look like this. Doesnt someone else have these too now?
Blackhawk

Reputation Power: 16
Blackhawk pfffft.
Trade Count: (2)

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2009, 09:27:56 AM »

ek9S FTW. But $180 is a farcry. Try $340 shipped

Slammedk24

Reputation Power: 1
Slammedk24 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2009, 10:34:49 AM »

yeah I was gonna buy some and screw that because they are about 300-400 dollars. so I just made these out of aluminum

Tory
"Low and Slow"
Blackhawk

Blackhawk pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2009, 11:00:01 AM »

THAT LOOKS VERY NICE MAN!

timot_one
Farts Dust

I act like I own this place, because I do!

Reputation Power: 140
timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2009, 11:20:20 AM »

I was under the impression that the ARC ones are universal.

Tim
Quote from: Andrew Ilnyckyj
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
Slammedk24

Slammedk24 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2009, 12:13:47 PM »

they are, atleast the side splitter are.  Now the full front splitters are application or universal, but they dont make anything for our cars

Tory
"Low and Slow"
seththekorean

Reputation Power: 4
seththekorean pfffft.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2009, 04:12:06 PM »

God i love that issue of HondaTuning (OP picture)

yeah the side splitters are def universal. implayaz9 has em too. He mostly posts on v6p. Here is a link to some pics of his car from that forum.
http://www.v6performance.net/forums/sho ... 9&page=185

[size=150]Seth[/size]
04' Coupe k24a4 5AT
SECM Squad Member
Blackhawk

Blackhawk pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2009, 08:42:28 AM »

I thought about getting these but couldn't justify spending $380.00 on ABS cosmetics. SlammedK24s idea of custom aluminum splitters without the "majic wing" sounds way more sensible, and practical.

Slammedk24

Slammedk24 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2009, 11:39:27 AM »

I just got a pick today of them remounted on the lip.  My buddy just painted the lip and bumper so im gonna wait till saturday to install everything.  Plus I got to wetsand a little tiny sag in the bumper and a couple of dust specs around the headlight area

But here ya go

Another plus to the custom ones I made is that they are a little stonger and thicker

Tory
"Low and Slow"
timot_one
Farts Dust

I act like I own this place, because I do!

Reputation Power: 140
timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2009, 12:04:59 PM »

They look pretty good, but I wonder how well they perform and if you'll notice a difference.  Do you track your car?

Tim
Quote from: Andrew Ilnyckyj
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
driveaccord

Reputation Power: 3
driveaccord pfffft.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2009, 03:10:22 PM »

those splitters look sweet and noticeable but not really like the arcs.....i cant see spending almost 400 on arcs like JT said.....i hope those didnt cost you a lot of money because although they look good i bet most people wouldnt even notice them

Slammedk24

Slammedk24 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2009, 03:18:28 PM »

Honestly the main reason I made them is to act more as skid plate for "just incase" I hit something.  And when I ordered my lip off ebay thinkin I was gettin a deal, well what I got was a Fucking Fiberglass lip so if hit anything its less likely to crack.  As far as cost they didnt cost me anything I made out of a sheet of aluminum my grandpap had.  Now the sheet I cut these out of probably cost around 200-300 dollars but it was 4'x 10' big sheet.  As far as performance goes its hard to tell if they actually do anything but its pretty much the same concept.  But like I said its mainly for my poor shopping skills and a preventative thing.

Tory
"Low and Slow"
Blackhawk

Blackhawk pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2009, 03:22:32 PM »

Slammedk24, if it's worth your time and money, would you consider cutting out a few more sets out of that sheet and selling them? Just an idea LMK

Slammedk24

Slammedk24 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2009, 10:29:01 PM »

Well I would love to but the mill my grandpap got the sheet from is now shut down.  He got it from when he taught machine shop in school.  If there was a place local I could buy sheets from locally I would do it.  Making them is extremely easy as long as you have jigsaw.  I will take some pics of them on the lip more closely and underneath them to give you a good visualization of them. I will also post up some dimensions. But this is basically what I did.

1. took a piece of sheet metal and set underneath of the lip.(doesn't have to be anything special)
2. Take a marker and trace along the outside of the lip (so I could get the contour right)
3. Then figured out how wide I wanted them to be. (basically how far to the middle I wanted them)
4. Make a line towards the inside of the lip toward the bumper so you have something to mount it to.  Also make it somewhat big, so when you decide how far you want the front to stick out you have plenty of metal to work with.  Remember you can always cut some off if its to big and aluminum is expensive

with it being wider youll have plenty of room for mounting later.  Dimensions on mine are 27" from furthest corner to furthest corner and 7 1/4" at the widest point in the middle
5. Once you get all of your markings made on the template, cut it out with some tin snips.
6. After you get it cut out test fit it and move it around where you will want it, make your final marking and trim where needed.  Remember to also think about where you will mount them to the lip.
7. Flip it over and test fit on the other side.  It should fit exactly the same as the other side but you never know, so check anyways
8. Once you positive on how you want them, trace the template onto the aluminum
9. Next cut out with a jigsaw, I prefer this method, you could probably use something else but this was is by far the easiest way(however you cut it make sure if there is any type of metal or hard surface that will come in contact with the aluminum while cutting it, such as the jigsaw guide, tape it off becase it cause deep scratches in it and will cause more headaches later on, learned that the hard way)
10. After you get them cut out set in a vise or some form of one atleast(make sure you cover the clamp part of the vise with a towel or go to lowes or home depot and buy a set of vise cushions,  reason being aluminum is very brittle)
11. Take a course metal file and smooth out the edges from cutting and then follow with a fine metal file, followed be some 800 grit sandpaper.  It should look smooth like this when done

12. After you get that done go ahead and polish away or scuff down and paint however you want
13. When done with that its time to mount them,  Figure out where your going to mount them to the lip and drill holes where needed.
14. For mounting I used aluminum rivits (please make sure you use ALUMINUM RIVITS if not the steel rivits will rust then cause to the aluminum to corode)

I will post some detailed pics up tomarrow to help better explain this and if anyone would like i will get some dimensions of them.  You dont have to nesesarily use aluminum but its a strong and lightweight metal and easy to work with as opposed to steel, with the same thickness as mine in steel they would weigh so much that it would probably bow you bumper and lip. not to mention it would be hard to cut out with regular common tools.  Also even though aluminum is strong it is very soft.  Yes I mainly made mine to protect my lip, but m not going to be driving around hitting speedbumps (I cant go over them anyway beacause of my mud guards) and hitting curbs.  Remember it is rivited to your lip it will tear the lip or in my case blow the lip to pieces and will also put deep scratches in the aluminum.  And if you have to set the good side down on a hard suface while making them, set it on a towel because like I said it will get deep scratches and you'll cause more work for yourself.  But please feel free to ask any questions about these.  I will help you out as much as I possibly can

updated:

« Last Edit: March 27, 2009, 12:45:37 PM by Slammedk24 » Logged

Tory
"Low and Slow"
Blackhawk

Blackhawk pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2009, 10:49:24 AM »

Yeah I got a machine shop here at work now. Was just asking since you can use the rest of the sheet to cash in your original investment and even make some money on the side. Thanks for the detailed instructions though! :P

Pages: [1] 2 Last »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal © 2005-2012