Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 02, 2024, 02:47:32 AM
Pages: « First < Previous 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Next > Last »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How To: Rear Drum To Disc Conversion  (Read 48663 times)
Paulius005

Reputation Power: 8
Paulius005 pfffft.
Trade Count: (5)

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 08, 2012, 02:05:39 AM »

What was the rough cost of the entire project?

Paulius San Jose, CA
i4 5AT CM7
timot_one
Farts Dust

I act like I own this place, because I do!

Reputation Power: 140
timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: April 08, 2012, 08:24:26 PM »

Plan on spending about $250-300 when you take into consideration the cost of all the parts involved.  Here's what I paid:

$100 - both rear knuckles
$100 - both rear calipers w/parking brake cables (had to replace the cables later on)
$10-20 - proportioning valve
$50-100 - rotors and pads

Tim
Quote from: Andrew Ilnyckyj
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
theycallme_og

not that kind of OG

Reputation Power: 1
theycallme_og pfffft.
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 02, 2013, 02:24:32 PM »

Timothy, so I am planning to do this project but I had something a bit different If possible, I would like to swap my entire brake setup for a 08 TL Type-S.  I found a wrecked one nearby where I live and could pick up all four brake calipers (Brembos) both rear knuckles and front brackets needed.. And the junk yard place is telling 800 for everything.

What do you think, is it possible? And is it. Good deal?
timot_one
Farts Dust

timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: January 02, 2013, 02:49:33 PM »

It may be possible. I've never done it myself though. The Brembo front brake set up from a TL Type S may not be a direct bolt on to the Accord knuckles. At that point you would have to swap out the TL Type S knuckles and possibly the upper and lower control arms. That would end up affecting the geometry of your suspension. From what I recall your wheels would be pushed out and you would have excess negative camber for a street car.

I don't think anyone has done this on an Accord yet. I only know of one person that did this on a 1st gen TSX, but he swapped out the sub frame and had it modified for the proper geometry.

Tim
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
theycallme_og

not that kind of OG

theycallme_og pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 02, 2013, 04:06:28 PM »

Sad darn I was hoping it would be simple swap..   Cry

But to be  the first person to do this would be kind of cool
timot_one
Farts Dust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: January 02, 2013, 06:42:16 PM »

Give it a. Try and let us know how it works out. Nobody will ever know until you try it. I didn't mean to discourage you. I say go for it if you're willing to invest the time and energy on attempting it. Just be sure to plan for problems.

Tim
ADI

ADI pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 03, 2013, 01:17:31 AM »

Sad darn I was hoping it would be simple swap..   Cry

But to be  the first person to do this would be kind of cool

i have seen it done before on a v6 accord coupe, the person that did the swap mentioned that the parts needed would be:

Acura TL/TL-S 04-08

45018-SEP-A60 Right Caliper $300+-
45019-SEP-A60 Left Caliper $300+-

44600-SEP-A01 Hub x 2 $42+- x2

51210-SEP-A01 Knuckle Assembly Right 206+-
51215-SEP-A01 Knuckle Assembly Left 206+-

Stainless steel Brake lines $100

pads 60-300 depending on pad choice
rotors 100x2

those prices are assuming you buy them new, but from a junkyard much cheaper.

couldnt find any close up pics of the brakes (for some reason the thread were i found the info is no longer up ) but if you look closely you can see the calipers and i know for a fact they are the tl-s brembos as i have seen the car in person and know the owner.

MyNameIsThien

Reputation Power: 0
MyNameIsThien hides in shadows.
Trade Count: (2)

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 03, 2013, 03:46:49 AM »

The rear brakes won't be an easy task to do. The Accords uses an integrated e-brake caliper while the TL uses an e-brake shoe. You would need to swap e-brake cable, knuckle, rotors, calipers, and the porportioning valve.
theycallme_og

not that kind of OG

theycallme_og pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 03, 2013, 11:09:16 AM »

Wow,  thanks guys very informative.  I will hold back right now since money is tight but once I pull the triger to buy all the parts needed I will definately do a write up on this.

Jeff Likes Bagels

Reputation Power: 21
Jeff Likes Bagels who is this guy?Jeff Likes Bagels who is this guy?
Trade Count: (3)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: January 03, 2013, 11:41:10 AM »

If you don't want to deal with the mess that Thien mentioned, you could always ask Paul for one of his brackets, and use Honda Pilot rotors in the rear. I don't remember if we have a thread for that option though. That way you still get a performance increase in the rear.

striktlyaccord

Reputation Power: 14
striktlyaccord pfffft.
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: February 08, 2013, 11:10:44 PM »

Well, I think I'm ready to get this project going soon (maybe start next weekend), so I want to make sure I have all my ducks in order as this task is going to be 50% preparation.  Below is, I think, a complete parts list, but feel free to chime in before I whip out the Visa.  I think I'm opting against the bigger Pilot rotors and Paul's brackets and just gonna go with an EX-equivalent setup as I just have the Legend setup up front.  I'm also going aftermarket on my rotors and pads to match my fronts, so that'll up my costs a bit.  Check list below:

Right rear knuckle  52210-SDC-A60 (already acquired)
Left rear knuckle  52215-SDC-A60 (already acquired)
Right rear caliper  43018-SDA-A00 (get brand new or remanufactured?  Doesn't seem to have much of a price difference.)
Left rear caliper  43019-SDA-A00 (get brand new or remanufactured?  Doesn't seem to have much of a price difference.)
Rear hub unit bearing assembly  42200-SDA-A51 x2 (I think I already have these too)
Hub unit cap  42326-SLJ-000 (x2)
Rear brake rotor  42510-SDA-A00 (x2) (going with Accord EX equivalent aftermarket EBC Ultimaxx setup to match fronts and be baller)
Right rear splash guard  43253-SDA-A51
Left rear splash guard  43254-SDA-A51
Flange bolt  90103-SV4-013 (x4)
Spindle nut  90305-S30-003 (x2)
Flat screw  93600-06014-0H (x4)
Flange bolt  95701-06012-08 (x6)
Right parking brake cable  47510-SDA-A52
Left parking brake cable  47560-SDA-A52
Four-way joint  46470-S5T-E01 (you really need this?  Is this the EX proportioning valve?)
Right rear brake line set  01466-SDA-A50 (would like to go stainless steel... anyone have a set to sell?)
Left rear brake line set  01468-SDA-A50 (would like to go stainless steel... anyone have a set to sell?)
Proportioning valve  46210-S5A-812 (I think this is the right one... but it's $55 now?!  Actually, this might be for the LX.)

Anything missing from this list, or other little odds, ends, bolts and screws I should invest in just to be safe?

Also still need:
flare nut wrench
impact socket
couple bottles of brake fluid
caliper paint
brake fluid bleeder bottle
anti-anxiety medication

My goal is to start this swap next weekend, work on the car when I can, and experience no more than 2 weeks downtime.  Anyone local want to help for cash, food and beer?  Heated garage.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 02:02:23 AM by striktlyaccord » Logged

Mike
Farts Dust

Fan Boys Anonymous

Reputation Power: 95
Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!
Trade Count: (5)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: February 09, 2013, 12:47:47 AM »

I might have a little time next sat.
Lemonjelly

Reputation Power: 6
Lemonjelly pfffft.
Trade Count: (3)

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 09, 2013, 07:59:40 AM »

From what i remember from doing tims swap and from planning this swap my self a lot of the bolts and what not carry over. Im up in maine for the weekend with only my phone but once i get back home ill dig back through my notebooks and see if i can find all the part numbers for what i was planning and compare it to your list. I should be around next weekend to help but i cant do a lot of heavy work with my bum shoulder right now but i can provide emotional support/be a tool bitch/technical consultant.

Let me know time and place.

Steve - NECM #4

timot_one
Farts Dust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: February 09, 2013, 08:44:21 AM »

Here you go Dave.

Right rear knuckle  52210-SDC-A60 (already acquired)
Left rear knuckle  52215-SDC-A60 (already acquired)
Right rear caliper  43018-SDA-A00 (get brand new or remanufactured?  Doesn't seem to have much of a price difference.)
Left rear caliper  43019-SDA-A00 (get brand new or remanufactured?  Doesn't seem to have much of a price difference.)
- get new if there's an insignificant price difference
Rear hub unit bearing assembly  42200-SDA-A51 x2 (I think I already have these too)
- these are already in the knuckle
Hub unit cap  42326-SLJ-000 (x2)
Rear brake rotor  42510-SDA-A00 (x2) (going with Accord EX equivalent aftermarket EBC Ultimaxx setup to match fronts and be baller)
Right rear splash guard  43253-SDA-A51
Left rear splash guard  43254-SDA-A51
Flange bolt  90103-SV4-013 (x4)
Spindle nut  90305-S30-003 (x2)
Flat screw  93600-06014-0H (x4)
Flange bolt  95701-06012-08 (x6)
Right parking brake cable  47510-SDA-A52
Left parking brake cable  47560-SDA-A52
Four-way joint  46470-S5T-E01 (you really need this?  Is this the EX proportioning valve?)
BUY THIS ONE
Right rear brake line set  01466-SDA-A50 (would like to go stainless steel... anyone have a set to sell?)
Left rear brake line set  01468-SDA-A50 (would like to go stainless steel... anyone have a set to sell?)
- buy a full set and sell the fronts
Proportioning valve  46210-S5A-812 (I think this is the right one... but it's $55 now?!  Actually, this might be for the LX.)
DO NOT BUY THIS ONE

anti-anxiety medication
- Since I know you well enough, get a big fucking bottle of this stuff.

Tim
striktlyaccord

Reputation Power: 14
striktlyaccord pfffft.
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: February 09, 2013, 10:37:38 AM »

Not bad  Thanks for the check list corrections.  I was 90% right about what was needed verses not, but posted everything just to be safe.  Ordering stuff now since there's nothing else to do other than shovel right now.

Pages: « First < Previous 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Next > Last »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal © 2005-2012