Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 02, 2024, 11:45:04 PM
Pages: « First < Previous 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: so what Synthetic oil to use?  (Read 22940 times)
alpha

Reputation Power: 18
alpha pfffft.
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 14, 2011, 01:09:44 AM »

I run Mobil 1 syn in my S2k.
Yikes!  Don't do that!  It's bad for the s2k, Mobil 1 oil is too thin for it..

- Mark
slipkord
Veteran

Reputation Power: 31
slipkord is almost recognized as human.slipkord is almost recognized as human.slipkord is almost recognized as human.
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 11, 2011, 09:00:46 PM »

http://elitecm.net/forums/index.php?topic=1901.0

Apparently not too good for J engines either
gargantula99
Veteran

Not So Evil Monkey!

Reputation Power: 27
gargantula99 who is this guy?gargantula99 who is this guy?
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 11, 2011, 10:08:11 PM »

Nope after i read that thread I switched to Dino oil. Cheaper too!!

2006 Accord V6 6mt Sedan CM6 CBP
striktlyaccord

Reputation Power: 14
striktlyaccord pfffft.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: March 13, 2011, 12:09:04 AM »

"Dino" meaning conventional (non-synthetic), right?  angel

Mike
Farts Dust

Fan Boys Anonymous

Reputation Power: 95
Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!
Trade Count: (5)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: March 13, 2011, 12:32:49 AM »

Yes Dave that is correct. I switched to 10W30 per Pauls suggestion today, and my car is running a lot quieter.
striktlyaccord

Reputation Power: 14
striktlyaccord pfffft.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: March 14, 2011, 12:03:27 AM »

Yes Dave that is correct. I switched to 10W30 per Pauls suggestion today, and my car is running a lot quieter.

Well, you have a J-series and I have the K, so I'll prolly still stick with 5w-20 synthetic as per the manufacturer's specs, unless someone can present a really strong argument against it (other than the $7.50/quart price tag).

timot_one
Farts Dust

I act like I own this place, because I do!

Reputation Power: 140
timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: March 14, 2011, 10:04:13 AM »

"Dino" meaning conventional (non-synthetic), right?  angel

Dino = short for dinosaur

I'd like to add to the discussion about which is better than the other, but I'm just not armed with enough information.  I know Rick always said there is a lot of good information on Bob Is The Oil Guy when he posted on here.  One thing that I did pick up in casual conversation with someone else is about the frequency of oil changes.  When doing a head swap, they noticed the condition of the tops of the pistons and how dirty (for a lack of better words) they looked.  After the head swap, they maintained the motor and changed the oil every 3,000 miles (with dino oil I believe).  A while later, they pulled the head for one reason or another (I didn't remember the specifics) and they noticed that the pistons were a lot cleaner than before the head swap.   A lot of people are being told that their oil doesn't break down as quickly and they don't need to change it for 5,000, 10,000, or even 20,000 miles based on the oil analysis.  That may be true, but that only seems to be part of the story.  Please remember, this is not my personal experience, but it was relayed by a reliable source.

Tim
Quote from: Andrew Ilnyckyj
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
gargantula99
Veteran

Not So Evil Monkey!

Reputation Power: 27
gargantula99 who is this guy?gargantula99 who is this guy?

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 14, 2011, 10:27:28 AM »

My oil change light usually comes on around the 4,250-4,500 mark.  I'll just follow that.  I plan on doing a J33 conversion around the water pump and timing belt replacement time anyway.  Until then, my Honda will take the abuse I give it and it's gonna like it, if it knows whats good for it.

2006 Accord V6 6mt Sedan CM6 CBP
thisaznboi88

Reputation Power: 24
thisaznboi88 who is this guy?thisaznboi88 who is this guy?
Trade Count: (6)

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 18, 2011, 10:43:32 PM »

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2200800&gonew=1#UNREAD

~~FlashPro tuned by domgsr-t~~
Kinda Flashpro tuned by http://vittuned.com/
timot_one
Farts Dust

I act like I own this place, because I do!

Reputation Power: 140
timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: March 19, 2011, 09:10:07 AM »

Ummm, what?  Any frame of reference or something?

Tim
Quote from: Andrew Ilnyckyj
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
Pages: « First < Previous 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal © 2005-2012