Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 02, 2024, 02:25:38 PM
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next > Last »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fueling car while running  (Read 14985 times)
CheaperIsBetter
Fucking Newb

Reputation Power: 0
CheaperIsBetter pfffft.
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« on: July 29, 2010, 12:25:40 PM »

One day I left my car running while I went to pre-pay for gas.  I'd left my stereo on and forgot my car was running so I fueled up.  I then realized my car was running and that the check engine light hadn't come on because the computer didn't sense the tank going to vacuum.  I've since left my car running while re-fueling and done a little research to see what the reasons are to turn your vehicle off while fueling.

Some reasons to turn your vehicle off that I've read and my take on them are:

-save gas (who cares; car is at idle and it stays nice and air conditioned
-fuel pump works harder when tank is not pressurized (not sure how much this wears the pump)
-Static electricity can cause fumes to ignite (our cars have EVAP control systems and it seems to me that there isn't any more risk of this when the car is running)
---See video in link of a girl having trouble pumping gas and having her pump ignite because of static discharge.
http://www.pei.org/PublicationsResources/SafetyResources/StopStaticCampaign.aspx
-----I doubt  this would happen on our cars because of the advances with gasoline fillers and the evap control systems on the cars and gas pumps, but if that's the worst that'll happen I'd prefer to keep my car at a comfortable tempurature, and possibly deal with an unexpected flame thrower - I doubt I'd be wearing a cute fuzzy sweater though.

What do you guys think?
« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 06:49:13 PM by CheaperIsBetter » Logged
Icebox

Reputation Power: 12
Icebox pfffft.
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2010, 02:00:03 PM »

i think im gonna continue to play it safe and cut the car off cuz i dont trust speculations and you never know when shits gonna happen.

David - MDVACM Squad #13

My EliteCM Profile
status

GOMD

Reputation Power: 14
status pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2010, 02:23:52 PM »

yeah im gonna continue to let random strangers fuel my car while i sit in it. Flippa!

-Alec
rich

Reputation Power: 4
rich pfffft.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2010, 05:08:18 PM »

i ALWAYS shut my car completely off.

2004 Accord Coupe V6 6speed
for sale!
Xbox Live Gamertag: BeachBum561FLA
v6sicksspeed

Reputation Power: 7
v6sicksspeed pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2010, 05:30:05 PM »

ive never left the car on while fueling up.  just seems id rather be safe than sorry.  keeping the A/C blasting seems like a bit of a stretch for a reason to waste even a small amount of gas.

J u s t i n
CheaperIsBetter
Fucking Newb

CheaperIsBetter pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2010, 06:05:04 PM »

For me that small amount of fuel is a convienience or luxury charge just like when you pay more for something at a convienience store.  Plus it's one less time you have to start your engine and for the sake of argument lets say that my V6 gets 60 minutes per gallon at idle; with a gallon cost of $3.00 I only spent  $0.25 on my 5 min fill up.  In the heat of summer or the cold of winter it's a no brainer convienience charge for me; I've got a ton of quarters.  If you're that worried about gas/money you can forget about hitting v-tec.

You're not wrong for doing what you do; I just wanted to explain myself.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 06:46:53 PM by CheaperIsBetter » Logged
status

GOMD

Reputation Power: 14
status pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2010, 07:01:48 PM »

i would say that with the static electricity not only are ypu endangering yourself but others at the station if it sparks.

-Alec
Mike
Farts Dust

Fan Boys Anonymous

Reputation Power: 95
Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!
Trade Count: (5)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2010, 07:08:22 PM »

Ummmm slick??? If theres no vacuum in the tank the evap system can't work. If you can smell fumes while you fueling than the can ignite. I'm pretty sure the EVAP system runs off a VSV (vacuum switching) valve by the tank. Just seems dangerous to me.
thisaznboi88

Reputation Power: 24
thisaznboi88 who is this guy?thisaznboi88 who is this guy?
Trade Count: (6)

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2010, 10:26:04 PM »

dont leave car running. You might get jacked. Simple as that.

~~FlashPro tuned by domgsr-t~~
Kinda Flashpro tuned by http://vittuned.com/
timot_one
Farts Dust

I act like I own this place, because I do!

Reputation Power: 140
timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2010, 10:52:59 PM »

I think this thread didn't belong in the General Discussion forum. 

Tim
Quote from: Andrew Ilnyckyj
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
mnkyman

Reputation Power: 5
mnkyman pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2010, 02:41:02 AM »

is this a serious thread? ...I hope for your sake that you were joking...

Sam -|- 2006 I4 Sedan SE
timot_one
Farts Dust

I act like I own this place, because I do!

Reputation Power: 140
timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2010, 07:57:10 AM »

I don't think they are. 

Tim
Quote from: Andrew Ilnyckyj
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
CheaperIsBetter
Fucking Newb

CheaperIsBetter pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2010, 09:13:08 AM »

If the cars evap system doesn't work while not at vacuum then there is still the gas pumps vapor recovery system.  Most of the inccidents when there were ignitions were in years past and fuel pump manufactures have advanced their vapor recovery systems since these incidents.  Now if you're overfilling after the pump clicks there might be more fuel in the air, and not releasing built up static or wearing garments that produce extra static can still ignite fuel and air, but if ignitions were a more common occurence don'you think we'd be hearing about it more; I'm sure people leave their cars running accidentally all the time.  

-And since static charges are the predominant cause of ignitions, why does leaving your car running increase the risk of one?

Why are you guys so scared?

DV8mAn

I'm Tired...

Reputation Power: 4
DV8mAn pfffft.
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2010, 09:13:43 AM »

Sounds like a bad idea to me.  Why tempt fate for a little cool air.
CheaperIsBetter
Fucking Newb

CheaperIsBetter pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2010, 09:28:40 AM »

I don't believe in fate, and I'm not scared of ghost stories.  This shit doesn't happen anymore.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next > Last »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal © 2005-2012