Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 04, 2024, 01:49:39 PM
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cam lobe scuff/wear - How urgent to replace?  (Read 3149 times)
epadilla19
Fucking Newb

Reputation Power: 1
epadilla19 pfffft.
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile WWW
« on: April 03, 2014, 12:33:27 PM »

So yesterday I was performing a valve lash adjustment.  That's when, I noticed this...

Shocked

These 2 show the wear all of the intake lobes seem to have. Doesn't look too bad, but I'm not qualified to say.

These 3 are of the far left and far right cylinders' exhaust lobes. These look like they need replacement, but again, I'm qualified to say...

How bad is this?

Will it get worse over time?

Will this need immediate repair, or can it wait a while?

Other thoughts, opinions?

I believe this is related to a low oil pressure issue I had a few years back due to a clogged oil pickup. Enough to cause the VTC not to activate, sending the car into limp mode. I had the dealership clean out the oil pump pickup and VTC strainers for free because this occurred within days of an oil change they did *AND* their man only put in 2 quarts of oil. It's worked fine ever since, no oil pressure issues. I've also started doing my oil change and switched to M1 full synthetic and switched over to a ~4000-4500 mile interval.
CrackerTeg
Farts Dust

No fucks given.

Reputation Power: 99
CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2014, 12:47:15 PM »

I'd definitely change that exhaust cam. The intake doesn't look bad at all but considering there was some starvation earlier in this engine's life, it'd be safer to replace both cams.

"If one day the speed kills me, do not cry because I was smiling." - Paul Walker
timot_one
Farts Dust

I act like I own this place, because I do!

Reputation Power: 140
timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2014, 01:51:17 PM »

Intake cam looks okay, but you probably want to make sure there isn't any scoring. That exhaust cam is pretty bad though. You definitely want to replace it.

Tim
Quote from: Andrew Ilnyckyj
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
hondaguy214

Reputation Power: 1
hondaguy214 pfffft.
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2014, 10:37:46 PM »

I agree with both of them as being my professional mechanic opinion. Deff check the intake for any imperfections  scuffing on the lobes

NECM SQUAD#6
Jeff Likes Bagels

Reputation Power: 21
Jeff Likes Bagels who is this guy?Jeff Likes Bagels who is this guy?
Trade Count: (3)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2014, 01:28:00 PM »

I just did the valve lash adjustment last weekend as well, here are my results.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/3kjwwpah1b4j4j8/AACWfATv3Fi4rr8AUx9dHEFEa

The intake valve lash was pretty decent, but the exhaust was way too tight.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal © 2005-2012