Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 04, 2024, 07:21:42 AM
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need help with a stuck valve cover nut  (Read 3690 times)
striktlyaccord

Reputation Power: 14
striktlyaccord pfffft.
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile WWW
« on: May 26, 2013, 06:51:45 PM »

I'm having trouble getting this one nut off that's circled in the pic below.  I can turn it both ways, but it just keeps spinning, so I assume it's been threaded.  I need it off as I have to remove all of the engine valve cover nuts for a minor upgrade, and this one nut is holding me back.  Any ideas how to get it off without some major surgery or cutting?

timot_one
Farts Dust

I act like I own this place, because I do!

Reputation Power: 140
timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2013, 08:20:20 PM »

Dave, that is the bolt for cam cap #1.  It's probably just loose.  Remove the other nuts from the valve cover and continue to loosen that bolt/nut and it will come out of the thread.  Then you can hold it still from inside the valve cover and remove the nut.

Tim
Quote from: Andrew Ilnyckyj
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
NVA-AV6

Reputation Power: 10
NVA-AV6 pfffft.
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2013, 09:25:35 PM »

^ What he said, LOL.

M90SC Boosting 13PSI.....
striktlyaccord

striktlyaccord pfffft.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2013, 10:38:22 PM »

I actually don't follow your instructions Tim.  I know I'm slow on the uptake, but I just can't picture what you're saying.  I also don't actually need to get the valve cover off... I just need these 5-6 nuts off for a lil TLC, then back on they go.  I just think I messed that one up years ago when I installed the red valve cover... don't remember how, but I did.

CrackerTeg
Farts Dust

No fucks given.

Reputation Power: 99
CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2013, 10:45:49 PM »

He's saying to remove the valve cover then grip that stud from underneath so that you can remove the nut. Replace the stud once you do.

"If one day the speed kills me, do not cry because I was smiling." - Paul Walker
CrazyCreashunz

Reputation Power: 27
CrazyCreashunz who is this guy?CrazyCreashunz who is this guy?
Trade Count: (5)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2013, 06:40:03 PM »

Dave just be careful as the stud is delicate and might snap if applying too much pressure. I had one snap on me! That nut is just holding the valve cover down. Once you get it off you will see that the stud is left there but you are able to take the stud out as well. So what Tim is saying is to loosen the other nuts with hopes that you will be able to get the nut and stud out together on that side. Which you will then be able to get a better grip on the stud to remove the nut!

Hopefully that clears it up for ya!  Wink

Billy -Prez. of Team Crazy Creashunz
My Elite CM Profile I  www.CrazyCreashunz.com I "Like Us" on Facebook!
striktlyaccord

striktlyaccord pfffft.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2013, 11:21:53 PM »

Yeh, a little bit.  I actually ordered some dress up pieces that replace all of the nuts and all of the studs too as it's all flush-mount.  I've taken the valve cover off before (to remove stock for the red one).  I'm hoping the gasket will be okay and reusable, but I also remember having to reseal the valve cover with some grey sealant in a few spots.  Do I really need to use that shit again if I remove the valve cover?  I made a damn mess with it last time.   :Smiley

MyNameIsThien

Reputation Power: 0
MyNameIsThien hides in shadows.
Trade Count: (2)

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2013, 11:30:06 PM »

Yes, unless you want oil leaking everywhere. Put the grey silicone around the corners where the head has a crease in it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal © 2005-2012