Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 04, 2024, 09:20:40 AM
Pages: [1] 2 Last »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Laggy VTEC Engagement  (Read 8642 times)
Jeff Likes Bagels

Reputation Power: 21
Jeff Likes Bagels who is this guy?Jeff Likes Bagels who is this guy?
Trade Count: (3)

View Profile WWW
« on: September 21, 2012, 10:07:49 PM »

I know that I've been a ghost around here for awhile, sorry about that. I've been so busy with school and shit.

Anyways, I've already talked to Tim about this a couple times, but I thought I'd make a thread so that the information is out there. I noticed that the VTEC engagement at 2,200RPM is very delayed (VTEC did not just kick in, yo!). It's to the point where it makes the ride uncomfortable, because when I accelerate from a stop and get up to 2,200RPM, the car jerks as if it lost a substantial amount of torque. At that point, the car loses about 100RPM, and then continues to rise normally. I definitely don't recall it acting like this on my 2005.

In regards to oil, I've checked it, and the levels were perfectly normal. I've had this happen for awhile now. I used to run Mobil Super 5000 5W30 with a Purolator PureONE filter, but I recently switched to Valvoline SynPower 5W30 and the same filter, and it made no difference. I also have never gotten a CEL. I'm pretty much clueless right now.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 08:16:02 PM by Jeff » Logged

timot_one
Farts Dust

I act like I own this place, because I do!

Reputation Power: 140
timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2012, 12:09:57 AM »

It could be a few things.  You may want to check your VTC filter and the filter on the VTEC solenoid.  Another issue could be that it could be a bad connection on your VTEC solenoid or VTEC pressure switch, or even a bad switch or solenoid.  If you need me to send you one, I have a few extras lying around.

Tim
Quote from: Andrew Ilnyckyj
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
Jeff Likes Bagels

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2012, 01:30:19 AM »

I'll definitely have to take a look. Where can I access said filters? 

timot_one
Farts Dust

timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2012, 09:19:09 AM »

I'll help you out later tonight when I get home Jeff.  Either that, or shoot me a text.

Tim
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
Jeff Likes Bagels

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2012, 08:46:11 PM »

I was going to upload the pics Tim sent me, but I lost them when doing shit to my phone. Here's an illustration instead.

#11 is the VTC filter itself, while #7 is the VTC solenoid (correct me if I'm wrong, Tim).

I'm going to first check on the VTC filter, and clean if necessary. That'll require removing the serpentine belt, moving the P/S pump, and removing the auto tensioner. From there, if I'm still having this issue, I'll look into the solenoid itself.

Thanks for the help Tim.

timot_one
Farts Dust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2012, 10:06:32 AM »

Yes Jeff.  You are correct.  #11 is the VTC filter and #7 is the VTC solenoid (aka spool valve).  Also, #5 is the VTEC filter.  That's a lot easier to get to.  You may want to take that off and make sure it's clean too. 

Tim
Jeff Likes Bagels

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2012, 10:09:57 AM »

Where does that whole #4 area go? I'll take a look at that filter as well.

timot_one
Farts Dust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2012, 10:21:18 AM »

It's bolted on to the back of the head above the oil filter.  That's the VTEC solenoid and pressure switch. 

Tim
eagonzalez2013
Fucking Newb

Reputation Power: 1
eagonzalez2013 pfffft.
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2013, 12:14:23 PM »

wow thats crazy i just found a brand new vtc filter and vtec filter in my garage, i guess i should replace the old ones then
eagonzalez2013
Fucking Newb

eagonzalez2013 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2013, 12:19:26 PM »

ill actually save them for another time because my vtec is not laggy yet! maybe later down then road when i add some mods to the car but its nice to know i have these around
timot_one
Farts Dust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2013, 11:29:17 PM »

No need to replace if everything is working.

Tim
eagonzalez2013
Fucking Newb

eagonzalez2013 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2013, 10:52:28 PM »

but wouldnt the filters go through wear after being there for 145k miles?
timot_one
Farts Dust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2013, 11:07:37 PM »

It's a metal screen with a rubber gasket.  I have't heard of any cases where anyone needed to replace them because they were worn.  You're free to replace them if you want.  I just don't think it's necessary if everything is working fine.

Tim
Jeff Likes Bagels

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2013, 11:14:02 PM »

I checked the VTEC solenoid filter at about 93k miles, and it was spotless. I haven't had time to check the VTC solenoid filter, but I'm sure it's just as fine.

I've been kind of living with the lagginess for now. I just don't have the time with school and all.

eagonzalez2013
Fucking Newb

eagonzalez2013 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2013, 11:04:31 PM »

yea well I think i kinda jinxed it and im probably experiencing some lag  Cry. Because now when i get to a stop and suddenly accelerate hard passing 2,500 rpms, My car jerks before i even get to 50mph or 3,000rpms. so then when that happens i freak out and let go of the acceleration because i feel like something is going to break. Anyways my car is still stock all i have done is fixed my fans, which now they work perfectly fine and ive also replaced my IACV valve with a barely used one. So the car is working fine except for that jerk it does i cant even speed off ill have to check my oil levels and transmission fluid and if that doesnt work ill also check my vtec filters. Any suggestions you guys? 
Pages: [1] 2 Last »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal © 2005-2012