Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 04, 2024, 03:58:00 AM
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Problem: Oil change problem  (Read 6189 times)
linguinipenguini
Fucking Newb

Reputation Power: 1
linguinipenguini pfffft.
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« on: August 30, 2011, 11:02:11 PM »

I changed my oil the other day and everything was business as usual, but, after putting 4 quarts of oil the dipstick says I haven't added enough oil (With cold and warm engine). But, the lines connected to the oil catch can have oil vapors running through them, nearly bypassing the can. My fear is to add in oil and cause too much crankcase pressure, resulting in blown oil rings or worse, but I'm also afraid to run on to little oil. Has anyone had this issue?
Icebox

Reputation Power: 12
Icebox pfffft.
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2011, 09:03:25 AM »

4 cyl or 6? check your owners manual, if you have a 4cyl, you are using not enough oil. the 4cyl call for 4.5 qts. not sure what the 6cyl calls for.

David - MDVACM Squad #13

My EliteCM Profile
ikethegreat

Reputation Power: 24
ikethegreat who is this guy?ikethegreat who is this guy?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2011, 01:39:27 PM »

4.5 qts for both.  I just use a whole 5 qt jug though.  Not going to hurt...
timot_one
Farts Dust

I act like I own this place, because I do!

Reputation Power: 140
timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2011, 01:49:23 PM »

^What he said.  I assume it's a K24 since he posted this question in the K Series forum.  I always fill my oil up to the line on the dip stick.  The fact that you have a catch can is irrelevant.  I'm not sure if you have your catch can connected to your pcv or valve cover.  In either case, if it's an eBay catch can it may not be very effective.  You may want to spend a little more money and get an air oil separator instead.

Tim
Quote from: Andrew Ilnyckyj
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
linguinipenguini
Fucking Newb

linguinipenguini pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2011, 04:50:18 PM »

I figured it out, I think. The catch can's hose connector was clogged with a little bit of sediment, causing the oil and gasses to bypass it. I cleaned it out this morning and havent had a problem so far
timot_one
Farts Dust

timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2011, 05:27:25 PM »

That doesn't make any sense at all.  Is this catch can connected to your PCV or your valve cover?

Tim
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
gargantula99
Veteran

Not So Evil Monkey!

Reputation Power: 27
gargantula99 who is this guy?gargantula99 who is this guy?

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2011, 06:18:50 PM »

Tim, would you recommend a good air/oil separator?

2006 Accord V6 6mt Sedan CM6 CBP
timot_one
Farts Dust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2011, 09:51:09 PM »

They can't hurt.  Some of them can be pricey though.

Tim
gargantula99
Veteran

Not So Evil Monkey!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2011, 10:01:54 PM »

They can't hurt.  Some of them can be pricey though.

I mean like actually recommend one, you know, like a manufacturer and what not. Lol. Sorry I wasn't clear.

timot_one
Farts Dust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2011, 10:07:51 PM »

Jegs makes an inexpensive one for like $50.  I may actually pick that up to replace my half ass shitty catch can on my pcv.

Tim
cna

Reputation Power: 16
cna pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2011, 02:50:01 PM »

I have a air/oil separator i have used in the past for catch can which worked very well i used ball bearings as a filter heres a extra one i made for example of what tim's talking about i used a husky type

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 02:53:55 PM by cna » Logged

timot_one
Farts Dust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2011, 12:04:08 AM »

The one Jegs sells has an actual filter.

Tim
gargantula99
Veteran

Not So Evil Monkey!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2011, 07:21:17 AM »

I looked at the ones that jegs sells.  Wouldn't even know how to install one.  They have one for like $46

timot_one
Farts Dust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2011, 09:05:08 AM »

It goes inline with your breather tube from your pcv.

Tim
linguinipenguini
Fucking Newb

linguinipenguini pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2011, 10:05:55 PM »

The catch can is connected to the PCV. The hose from the PCV valve was so dry-rotted pieces of the rubber flaked off and clogged up the catch can inlet, so the oil vapor and such wasn't collecting in the can. Also, I did put in too little oil by about .3 quarts.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal © 2005-2012