Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 04, 2024, 01:40:29 AM
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Next > Last »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Shifter getting stuck in park... solved!  (Read 45466 times)
striktlyaccord

Reputation Power: 14
striktlyaccord pfffft.
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile WWW
« on: October 05, 2010, 04:55:03 PM »

I have a 2003 automatic.  This started yesterday:  
I was trying to pull out of a parking lot, but my shift knob was stuck in Park, no matter how hard I tried to push down on the button.  I thought it was a fluke thing, so I just popped the panel up from around the knob so I could gain access to the white "override" tab, and upon pushing it down, I was able to get out of park.  Unfortunately, this isn't a fluke, and it keesp happening every time I engage park, so I have to shove my hand under the panel every time and override the mechanism.  I removed my shift knob to see if that was the culprit, but it's not.  All other gears (N, D, etc.) work just as they should, so just park is the only issue.  I have been able to get it to engage half-ass so that the mechanism doesn't fully lock and I can therefore get it out of park, but once it "clicks" and fully locks into park, it's stuck.  So, is this a known issue?  Broken mechanism?  I know when you engage and disengage park, you can hear a clicking noise in the dash area... maybe a sensor is busted?  Either way, this is a pain in the balls and I need help!!  mad
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 12:18:36 PM by striktlyaccord » Logged

slipkord
Veteran

Reputation Power: 31
slipkord is almost recognized as human.slipkord is almost recognized as human.slipkord is almost recognized as human.
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2010, 05:06:25 PM »

I had the same thing go wrong in my 03, dealer fixed it, forget what they did, brake solinoid, I think, basically you have to put the brake down to get out of park, if the solineiod is bad no shifting got you...at stop light sorry for spelling
Mike
Farts Dust

Fan Boys Anonymous

Reputation Power: 95
Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!
Trade Count: (5)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2010, 05:22:26 PM »

I just text you the info... It's the Cruise Control and Stop switch. Part #7 in the diagram. I changed mine recently because it was causing and issue with my TCS. Here is a link, even though I text you the part number. This fixed my issues should work for you as well it's $5.41 so its clearly the place to start any how.

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/prddisplay.jsp?inputstate=5&catcgry1=ACCORD&catcgry2=2003&catcgry3=4DR+LX&catcgry4=KA5AT&catcgry5=PEDAL
k24low20z

Reputation Power: 6
k24low20z pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2010, 07:19:57 PM »

i also had that same issue..just change out the cruise control and stop switch and it will take care of your problem..

striktlyaccord

striktlyaccord pfffft.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2010, 11:34:54 PM »

Sounds like all three of you guys are describing a similar fix which makes me confident that that's what it is.  All I keep thinking though is "Man, if there's something wrong with the shift knob assembly, I swear to God...".  I believe we all have '03/'04  models too, so maybe this is a common thing?  I'll keep you guys posted on how this goes...

And Mike, thanks for all the quick texts.  I'll let you know when I get the part from Dickhead... I mean "Majestic" Honda.

Mike
Farts Dust

Fan Boys Anonymous

Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2010, 07:37:10 AM »

Majestic has always been really good to me. They actually changed the design of the switch a little bit. It's physically slightly different in size.
Milan

Reputation Power: 8
Milan pfffft.
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2010, 10:51:51 PM »

I have the same issue intermittently.  I figured it was that switch when I was looking at the pedal.  Another thing I noticed that when you can't shift out of park, the brake lights don't come one but once I shift out of park with the override the brake lights work normally.  Weird huh?

Milan - NBP Coupe V6 6MT
Genevieve - Aspen White '07 MDX
striktlyaccord

striktlyaccord pfffft.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2010, 01:08:58 AM »

Another thing I noticed that when you can't shift out of park, the brake lights don't come one but once I shift out of park with the override the brake lights work normally.  Weird huh?

Actually, this is a very good indicator to test and see if my problem definitely lies with the sensor at the brake pedal, because it the brake lights don't come on, than you can tell for sure that it's an isue at the sensor and not in the shift mechanism.  I'll test this out tomorrow!

Mike
Farts Dust

Fan Boys Anonymous

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2010, 07:04:50 AM »

My lights worked perfectly and my issue was with the switch.
striktlyaccord

striktlyaccord pfffft.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2010, 02:06:04 AM »

Well, tonight I tested out Milan's point that the brake lights would be having issues too, and I was shocked at the end result.  Not only do my brake lights not come on when I'm stuck in Park and the brake pedal is pressed, but they don't even come on AT ALL, regardless of what gear I'm in!  I might've been driving around for a few days with absolutely no brake light functions!  Total safety hazard.  I really need to get the part listed above and hope that this is the right fix or else I'm f'd in the a.

CrackerTeg
Farts Dust

No fucks given.

Reputation Power: 99
CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2010, 05:55:57 AM »

I'd venture to guess that the switch replacement would solve all your problems Dave. Come to think of it, I'm going to have to find out if my brake lights are still functional. Guess that'll happen the next time my brother goes to drive my car around to keep it from lot rotting.

"If one day the speed kills me, do not cry because I was smiling." - Paul Walker
Mike
Farts Dust

Fan Boys Anonymous

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2010, 07:49:03 AM »

did you order it already Dave?
striktlyaccord

striktlyaccord pfffft.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2010, 05:21:04 PM »

did you order it already Dave?

I picked up the switch on Friday before work and installed it today.  It did NOT fix the problem, so I still have a stuck shifter in Park and no brake lights at all.  My patience is all but done.

timot_one
Farts Dust

I act like I own this place, because I do!

Reputation Power: 140
timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2010, 01:41:46 AM »

Does your horn work?  If it doesn't, check fuse 13 in your under hood fuse box.  I have the service manual and electrical manual if you need me to come down there and help you test it. 

Tim
Quote from: Andrew Ilnyckyj
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
Mike
Farts Dust

Fan Boys Anonymous

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2010, 08:44:23 AM »

Does your car have cruise control/ do your brake lights still not work?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Next > Last »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal © 2005-2012