Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 04, 2024, 08:44:17 AM
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next > Last »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Transmission Swap Advice  (Read 19287 times)
pbplayer257

Reputation Power: 2
pbplayer257 pfffft.
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« on: July 21, 2010, 11:50:35 PM »

NOTE: before i get any negative comments or anything i would just like to say i have researched this topic thoroughly and just want some advice from people who actually know what they are talking about, not from some random sites. With that said, i have an 05' accord coupe with an automatic transmission, and i have become tired of it. I would like to swap my transmission for a manual one. My car has about 50k miles on it and i have a friend in the auto body industry who can perform a swap for cheap labor costs. I am looking for a 7th gen accord in a junkyard for parts, so i do not have to blow a thousand dollars on new parts. And some advice from people who have performed a swap or know of someone who has would be much appreciated. Such as, will the transmission be reliable? will i have to change the ECU? thank you.
timot_one
Farts Dust

I act like I own this place, because I do!

Reputation Power: 140
timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2010, 11:59:12 PM »

I can recommend that you speak to the one person that has done this swap.  Mike Sedacca has done this swap.  I know that he has a parts list somewhere.  I also know that he didn't need to use a MT ECU, but he's also running kpro.  Here is my advice on the subject.  First, I would recommend you use an OEM RSX Type S flywheel and clutch.  The RSX Type S flywheel is 14 lbs, compared to the 22.5 lb Accord flywheel.  You'll have better throttle response, but will retain OEM reliability because the flywheel isn't too light.  Second, I would seriously recommend you get a TSX 6MT instead of an Accord 5MT.  If you have your heart set on a 5MT, I know of 2 Accord 5 speed transmissions in FL in the Orlando area that are for sale.  One is mine and one is Skippy's.  Please PM me if you're interested in purchasing one.

Tim
Quote from: Andrew Ilnyckyj
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
Jeff Likes Bagels

Reputation Power: 21
Jeff Likes Bagels who is this guy?Jeff Likes Bagels who is this guy?
Trade Count: (3)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2010, 12:25:41 AM »

Here's what Skippy told me about the AT to MT swap.

Quote from: Skippy
AT/MT swaps are pretty expensive.  Depending on your choice of transmission, the cost can fluctuate, but to give you a ballpark on the job as a whole if you go through a shop, you're looking at $5000-$6000.  Parts are generally the cheaper side of the equation, being somewhere around $2500-$3000 (again depending on who you purchase from and in what condition), and the rest is labor.

I have participated in one of these swaps and it is a monster of a job.  A lot of custom work needs to be done, and it's really going to be a one-off piece when it's done.

I don't remember what I originally quoted Jeremy, but ask him what I quoted him and I'll give you that same price.  My 5MT transmission has just under 50k miles on it and it's in good condition.

Unless you're going to be throwing out a ton of power, I would not suggest installing an LSD.  You can if you want, it'll be cheaper for you to install it while the transmission is not in a car.  OBX is pretty much a quaife without quaife stickers on it.

Quote from: Skippy
Forgot to give you info on the RSX-S flywheel.  It's a great OEM solution for people wishing to have more pickup.  It's 4-5 lbs lighter than stock and it's only going to be around $200-$250 from an Acura dealer.   That beats paying $400+ for an aftermarket one that's only a few pounds lighter than that.

I would highly recommend the use of the RSX-S flywheel since it'll be easier on your car when in traffic.  Those aftermarket light flywheels can be a pain in the butt in traffic, and they'll also increase wear on your clutch in traffic since you have to goose the throttle that much more to get the car rolling.

I'm basically in the same exact situation as you. 05' Accord sedan with an autotragic, wanting to do the MT swap, lol.

pbplayer257

pbplayer257 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2010, 01:10:20 PM »

i know all the parts are going to be expensive which is why i am looking for an old 7th gen accord in a junkyard or something for parts, and my friend said hes not going to slam me on labor, but he also said it would take a week to do the swap. I just wish my car came manual stock. Also i could buy a whole new car with all that money skippy quoted. Is the tsx 6 speed compatible with my car? and is there any benefits to having it
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 01:23:37 PM by pbplayer257 » Logged
timot_one
Farts Dust

timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2010, 07:56:34 PM »

Yes, it is.  I have one in my car.  The benefits are shorter gears.  If you want an Accord tranny, just let me know.  I can get you one for pretty cheap. 

Tim
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
Icebox

Reputation Power: 12
Icebox pfffft.
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2010, 07:11:49 AM »

i personally like the longer gears

David - MDVACM Squad #13

My EliteCM Profile
timot_one
Farts Dust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2010, 08:06:23 AM »

For turbo applications, having longer gears makes sense.  For n/a and SCed applications, the shorter gears are better.  Have you driven a 6 speed K24 Accord Dave?

Tim
Icebox

Icebox pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2010, 08:16:53 AM »

yes, the only time i would find that extra gear to be useful is when im on road trips which is rare. i have also put my car up against other 6spd's and have beaten them due to lack of shifting that was needed, when the other car shifted, i began to pull away.

David - MDVACM Squad #13

My EliteCM Profile
Icebox

Icebox pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2010, 08:17:57 AM »

i think that a 5 spd with upgrades (clutch, flywheel, lsd ) is a better option than a stock 6 spd. that is what im planning on doing.

David - MDVACM Squad #13

My EliteCM Profile
timot_one
Farts Dust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2010, 08:22:47 AM »

the only time i would find that extra gear to be useful is when im on road trips which is rare.

The final drive gear is the same.  The final drive gear ratio is actually shorter than the Accord.  Do you not use 5th gear right now?

i have also put my car up against other 6spd's and have beaten them due to lack of shifting that was needed, when the other car shifted, i began to pull away.

That's pretty interesting.  You must be a better driver than the other guy.  Did you do this when your motor was stock?  Are you planning on a turbo one day?  When I swapped my 5 speed for the 6 speed, I noticed a huge improvement.  It was literally a night and day difference.  I would say that the TSX 6MT swap with a RSX Type S flywheel is possibly the best performance upgrade you can do.  There's a reason why the 5MT is an economy transmission, and the 6MT is a sport transmission.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 10:02:48 AM by timot_one » Logged

Tim
pbplayer257

pbplayer257 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2010, 11:22:12 AM »

I'm assuming the stock accord 5MT is cheaper correct? i have to start collecting parts if i'm actually going to go through with this so if anyone has a list  that would be extremely helpful.
timot_one
Farts Dust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2010, 02:43:34 PM »

Contact Mike Sedacca.  He has done the swap and should have the parts list.  I also know that Skippy and Paul will be able to give you advice on what you need.  You are correct in assuming that the Accord 5MT is cheaper.  If you want one, just let me know.  I have access to two and I know they are pretty cheap. 

Tim
Jeff Likes Bagels

Reputation Power: 21
Jeff Likes Bagels who is this guy?Jeff Likes Bagels who is this guy?
Trade Count: (3)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2010, 03:18:21 PM »

Tim, what's your opinion on doing a 5AT to 5MT swap? I know Skippy said it's a one-off design with a lot of custom work, but it's still very tempting. Or maybe I should wait it out and do a 5AT to 6MT swap to make it worthwhile. I don't know. I could just join the TSX bandwagon like Nick and Jeremy, haha.

timot_one
Farts Dust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2010, 03:28:57 PM »

Well, I've never owned an AT Accord.  I'm guessing that I would be underwhelmed if I drove one.  If you want to bang gears and not much performance, get the 5MT.  If you're looking for something more lively and fun (IMHO), get the 6MT. 

Tim
Mike
Farts Dust

Fan Boys Anonymous

Reputation Power: 95
Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!
Trade Count: (5)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2010, 06:49:17 PM »

Banging gears is an understatement for you Tim! I almost threw up Saturday when you shifted into second!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next > Last »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal © 2005-2012