Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 03, 2024, 01:39:28 AM
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A miracle or were we just lucky?  (Read 2225 times)
Silver Bullet

Reputation Power: 2
Silver Bullet pfffft.
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile
« on: September 03, 2010, 12:39:57 PM »

Hey guys, I have a story to tell and I hope maybe one of you guys can give me a possible explanation. I'll try to keep it as short as possible.

My brother was driving his 09 k24 coupe and he has an injen cai. One day at work, it was raining and my brother hit a large puddle (the same puddle I've been thru several times in my 7th Gen k24 w/ cai). He came up the slope in the parking lot and his car slowly moved and finally it stalled.

He tried to crank it once and it would not start. I looked around and saw that he may have possibly hydrolocked his motor. I remembered I had been thru that puddle so many times and my car never came close to showing any signs of stalling or any sort. My boss told me his distributor may have gotten wet, causing the car to shut off. So we waited until later that night to start the car.
We tried to crank 3 times but nothing...

Later on, I began to think he may have locked his motor up so I went online to research signs of hydrolock and how to fix a motor and discovered that cranking was the worse thing he coulda done. :thumbsdow

The next morning, we took the spark plugs out (thanks to Thien's DIY from Elitecm) and we attempted to crank the car to see if any water would fly out. Nothing still. We drained the oil and it bubbled so there was in fact water in the engine. We put in new oil and we replaced the battery because the stock battery had no life in it.

After everything was said and done, we attempted to start one more time. It almost cranked but we got a few thuds and then nothing. I began to think that the rods were bent/pistons cracked.

We had the car towed to the dealership to have the insurance adjuster to look at the car. (stock intake was put back on) Four days later, Honda called us and told us they somehow got the engine to start and that they did 3 oil drains. So what I want to know is, how did they get it to work? I read that cranking up the engine before pulling off the sparkplugs would pull the water into the combustion chamber and ultimately bend the rods because water can't be compressed.

We have a week to drive the car and to find any potential problems. So far, my brother says it was like nothing had happened to the engine.

2006 AV6 6MT

'Like' this page if you're a J-Series fanatic!
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Honda-J-Series/329047293778085
slipkord
Veteran

Reputation Power: 31
slipkord is almost recognized as human.slipkord is almost recognized as human.slipkord is almost recognized as human.
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 01:15:46 PM »

FYI - 03+ Accord had a distributorless system
Silver Bullet

Reputation Power: 2
Silver Bullet pfffft.
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2010, 03:27:31 PM »

Yes we found that out. So that's why I was certain he hydrolocked his engine.

2006 AV6 6MT

'Like' this page if you're a J-Series fanatic!
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Honda-J-Series/329047293778085
timot_one
Farts Dust

I act like I own this place, because I do!

Reputation Power: 140
timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2010, 05:03:22 PM »

Sounds interesting.  I guess your brother is lucky.

Tim
Quote from: Andrew Ilnyckyj
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal © 2005-2012