Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 06, 2024, 04:54:07 AM
Pages: « First < Previous 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 Next > Last »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Only CAI/SRI Thread You Should Ever Post In  (Read 67399 times)
Pandapocalypse

Reputation Power: 1
Pandapocalypse pfffft.
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: May 28, 2011, 05:39:59 PM »

Ahh forgot about good ole K&N.  I'll be better with the search in the future scout's honor.
Jeff Likes Bagels

Reputation Power: 21
Jeff Likes Bagels who is this guy?Jeff Likes Bagels who is this guy?
Trade Count: (3)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #151 on: May 28, 2011, 07:28:14 PM »

I have a K&N I'm going to try and sell. You may not want it though, because the pipe was dented. I may end up just dumping the pipe and selling the filter alone.

I'll let you know if I can get the pipe fixed.

Pandapocalypse

Pandapocalypse pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: May 28, 2011, 08:20:39 PM »

Thanks that'd be great, let me know how it turns out.
CrackerTeg
Farts Dust

No fucks given.

Reputation Power: 99
CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: May 29, 2011, 05:50:40 AM »

One question does come to mind: What year is your CM and is it MAF equipped? That little sticking point is what determines which aftermarket intakes are compatible with your particular vehicle. Personally, I'm not a fan of off the shelf parts as I like to create shit myself. That's a whole other subject though.

"If one day the speed kills me, do not cry because I was smiling." - Paul Walker
Pandapocalypse

Pandapocalypse pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: May 29, 2011, 01:50:11 PM »

Car is an 03, no MAF...at least as far as I can tell lol.  I know there seems to be some confusion about which cars have what.  Funny you should mention the making your own stuff.  My last car had a DIY type intake that was dyno proven to outperform the aftermarket stuff.  In fact as I type this I'm enraged at myself for not considering this sooner.  Hmm...to the drawing board!
CrackerTeg
Farts Dust

No fucks given.

CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: May 29, 2011, 01:57:02 PM »

Yeah. 03 Accords weren't equipped with MAF's so you're good to go on that. Sorry for throwing out the DIY wrench in there. I just couldn't hold back my opinion on the matter. Only reason I mentioned it is because of my homemade Comptech style icebox intake. I know it inspired Jeff to explore the idea. Matter of fact, none of my cars have ever had an off the shelf intake now that I think about it.

"If one day the speed kills me, do not cry because I was smiling." - Paul Walker
Pandapocalypse

Pandapocalypse pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: May 29, 2011, 02:10:36 PM »

No apologies, thank you for the DIY wrench!  Sometimes it just takes a little prodding to get the old wheels turning.  I was looking at intake last night and thinking "200-300 bucks for 4 hp at best sucks".  It's just pipe and hose clamps for the most part.  I'l have to see what I can come up with.
CrackerTeg
Farts Dust

No fucks given.

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: May 30, 2011, 12:01:35 AM »

Not a problem.

Pandapocalypse

Pandapocalypse pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: May 30, 2011, 12:51:12 PM »

Hmm ok after some looking around I was able to find this: http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=24868
Basically it's just removing the stock air box and sticking a filter at the end of the stock intake tubing.  I was originally thinking of making my own pipe but this seems a lot easier because of all the sensors/hoses that connect to the intake tubing.  My question now is does anyone think this would actually make a noticeable power difference?  There is some contention in the thread itself with some people saying its just for the sound and others claiming that it works as well as a name brand SRI.  My thinking is that it should work nearly as good as a brand name one since the filter ends up in the place anyways.  The only difference I could think of is that the stock intake tubing isn't as smooth as an aftermarket pipe.  Anyways, thoughts/comments?

*Edit* Meant to include I saw this thread: http://elitecm.net/forums/index.php?topic=1979.0 but since the original thread appears to be no longer with us I'm not sure what was done.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 12:53:29 PM by Pandapocalypse » Logged
CrackerTeg
Farts Dust

No fucks given.

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: May 30, 2011, 02:12:32 PM »

With regards to that first link, I saw that thread when he started it. All I have to say is: no. Not only do you have all the turbulence of the OEM rubber hose, you have all the ambient heat of the engine bay being sucked in. Worse than the OEM setup in every aspect. Move on.

As for the second link, I wish I could remember what the intake was about but IIRC, the OP was one of those troublemaking douchebags that ended up getting bounced and all his posts removed. Its tough to remember all the dipshits that get bounced.

Jeff Likes Bagels

View Profile WWW
« Reply #160 on: May 30, 2011, 02:20:23 PM »

The nice thing about the K&N SRI that I had is that it has a heatshield. If you do end up sticking a cone filter at the end like from the guy in that thread, and I end up ditching the pipe, I can sell you the heatshield itself.

As for my personal recommendation, I'm with Z. Although I really like the SRI that I had, you can probably do without. It's mainly for the sound. I plan on gutting out the fins/baffles in the stock airbox, and maybe removing the intake resonator and putting straight pipe instead.

CrackerTeg
Farts Dust

No fucks given.

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: May 30, 2011, 02:23:39 PM »

My protege has finally chimed in after I mentioned his name. Were your ears twitching at all Jeff?
« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 05:14:56 PM by CrackerTeg » Logged

Jeff Likes Bagels

View Profile WWW
« Reply #162 on: May 30, 2011, 02:45:55 PM »

Haha yeah. I haven't been able to get on my computer until just now, so I finally got a chance to post. I've been reading everything from on my phone, though.

fatbastard

Reputation Power: 7
fatbastard pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: June 04, 2011, 12:09:41 PM »

the filter in the AEM SRI is made by K&N.

-- Charles --

2005 Honda Accord 2.4L sedan
2011 Subaru STi sedan
Jeff Likes Bagels

View Profile WWW
« Reply #164 on: June 04, 2011, 12:13:16 PM »

Interesting... are the filters rebranded, or do they have K&N written all over them? Also, since we're now on the subject of air filters:

http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/filters_test/2/

I didn't want to lose that link... it's pretty interesting.

Pages: « First < Previous 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 Next > Last »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal © 2005-2012