Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 01:30:48 AM
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: stick-on wheel weight question  (Read 4029 times)
ikethegreat

Reputation Power: 24
ikethegreat who is this guy?ikethegreat who is this guy?
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« on: October 21, 2010, 02:10:41 PM »

Can the stick-on wheel weights go anywhere in the wheel well? Mine are currently mounted on the wheel where the caliper sits and they rub against the caliper when the wheel rotates. I found some for cheap on ebay and was just going to install new ones a couple of inches farther into the wheel well but wasn't sure if that would throw off the wheel balance or not.
CrackerTeg
Farts Dust

No fucks given.

Reputation Power: 99
CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2010, 02:24:25 PM »

I'm not entirely sure on that. I used to dabble in the tire business but never quite understood why the weights had to go so far out in the wheel. Best thing to do is take your car to get the tires rebalanced and ask to move the weights further inboard. I'd venture to guess that if you did it yourself without the proper equipment, you'd throw your balance off.

"If one day the speed kills me, do not cry because I was smiling." - Paul Walker
slipkord
Veteran

Reputation Power: 31
slipkord is almost recognized as human.slipkord is almost recognized as human.slipkord is almost recognized as human.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2010, 03:15:47 PM »

+1 I'd leave it to the pros, or at least the guys running the equipment
mnkyman

Reputation Power: 5
mnkyman pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2010, 06:24:17 PM »

you can't "eye" the balance of a wheel

Sam -|- 2006 I4 Sedan SE
ikethegreat

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2010, 07:41:38 AM »

Not planning to.  I was going to just move the already installed weights over a couple of inches. 

"To balance a wheel, the technician will mount it on a balancing machine which spins the wheel to locate the heavier part. He will then compensate for the heavy part by attaching a lead weight on the opposite side. Many people are pleasantly surprised at how smooth their car drives after balancing all four wheels."

As long as the weights aren't moved up or down, but only left or right, I wouldn't think it would throw the balance off. 
timot_one
Farts Dust

I act like I own this place, because I do!

Reputation Power: 140
timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2010, 08:00:47 AM »

Actually, you shouldn't move the weights.  I've balanced a few wheels in my day, but I'm far from being an authority on the subject.  There are a few places that you mount the weights on the back and the front of the rim.  If you move it, it will definitely throw off your balance.

Was this something that happened after you swapped in the RL calipers?  You should just go get a new balance, tell the tech that the weights need to clear the caliper, and call it a day.

Tim
Quote from: Andrew Ilnyckyj
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
ikethegreat

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2010, 08:12:03 AM »

Yeah those RL calipers are soooo big.  I guess I'll take it somewhere and have it rebalanced. 
timot_one
Farts Dust

I act like I own this place, because I do!

Reputation Power: 140
timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2010, 10:43:15 AM »

I know how you feel.  I'm having wheel fitment issues with mine too.

Tim
Quote from: Andrew Ilnyckyj
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal © 2005-2012