Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 29, 2024, 04:47:30 PM
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Replaced spark plugs... have some questions.  (Read 7311 times)
striktlyaccord

Reputation Power: 14
striktlyaccord pfffft.
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile WWW
« on: February 16, 2011, 12:58:05 AM »

Today, I replaced my stock spark plugs that had about 71,300 miles on them with brand new NGKs (oem).  The process was pretty straight-forward, but I took my time and froze my ass off doing it.  However, as usual (if you know me well), I have a few questions that flustered me.

First, take a peek at my plug condition.  They weren't that bad at all (old on left, new on right):

My first question:  My Haynes manual said that these should be pre-gapped at between 0.039"-0.043", and a how-to on here said 0.044".  Pretty similar, but when I used a gap measurement tool that I had to check for correct gapping, I couldn't get neither the 0.044" or the 0.040" slider in between the electrodes.  Only the 0.035" slid through!  However, my old plugs (stock) that I removed were just as tight as the new plugs, so are the gap measurements for the Accord wrong, or were all eight of my plugs pre-gapped like shit (highly unlikely).  Maybe my measurement tool sucks ass??  Maybe I suck ass???

Second question:  The holes for spark plugs one and four (the plug to the very left, and the plug to the very right), as well as the ignition coils for plugs one and four, were a little "dirtier" and rustier looking than the holes and coils for spark plugs two and three.  It wasn't that bad, but any reason why this is the case?  See the pics below for reference.

Plug hole one (rusty looking):

Plug hole two (cleaner):

Coils 1, 2, 3, and 4 (in order from left to right):

Other than that, we'll see if any driving impressions reveal slightly better ride quality or responsiveness.  Thanks for reading.

cna

Reputation Power: 16
cna pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 01:22:36 AM »

They come pre-gaped so no need to adjust and make sure they nice and snugged when you installed them i had one plug that wasn't so tight like the rest and i got them same rust coloring on my coil too heres mines for reference on my v6

Mike
Farts Dust

Fan Boys Anonymous

Reputation Power: 95
Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!
Trade Count: (5)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 08:33:47 AM »

They come pre-gaped so no need to adjust and make sure they nice and snugged when you installed them i had one plug that wasn't so tight like the rest and i got them same rust coloring on my coil too heres mines for reference on my v6

Personally I never trust pre gapping. Get the specs directly from Honda (maybe in the owners manual def. in a service manual) and make sure that they are properly gapped.
timot_one
Farts Dust

I act like I own this place, because I do!

Reputation Power: 140
timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 09:39:26 PM »

LX-PZEV/EX-PZEV/EXL-PZEV is 1.2-1.3 mm (0.047-0.051 in).  Everything else is 1.0-1.1 mm (0.039-0.043 in).

Tim
Quote from: Andrew Ilnyckyj
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
striktlyaccord

striktlyaccord pfffft.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2011, 12:33:08 AM »

LX-PZEV/EX-PZEV/EXL-PZEV is 1.2-1.3 mm (0.047-0.051 in).  Everything else is 1.0-1.1 mm (0.039-0.043 in).

Yeh, that's exactly what my Haynes manual said too (although I think it listed all "PZEV" models as "SULEV").  Still, mine's a regular model, so the 0.039"-0.043" I believe is the correct reading.  Haven't gotten an engine light yet, so iono.   :Smiley  Hell, for how much these plugs cost individually, they better be pre-gapped correctly!

timot_one
Farts Dust

I act like I own this place, because I do!

Reputation Power: 140
timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2011, 08:00:50 AM »

I would make sure they're gapped properly myself.  There's certain stuff that I just don't trust to the "manufacturing process".

Tim
Quote from: Andrew Ilnyckyj
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
striktlyaccord

striktlyaccord pfffft.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2011, 02:00:12 AM »

I would make sure they're gapped properly myself.  There's certain stuff that I just don't trust to the "manufacturing process".

Well, the plugs are already installed.  So, either my gap measuring tool is way off and a piece of shit (it's pretty old), or the current printed readings are wrong (highly unlikely though) because the new plugs didn't seem to be around 0.043", but neither were the ones that I removed that were installed straight from Honda!  I doubt a whole 4-pack of plugs would all be gapped wrong, and I def. bought the right ones.  Head scratcher.

Mike
Farts Dust

Fan Boys Anonymous

Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2011, 07:20:15 AM »

I'd say that 90% of the times I've changed plugs they have been off a little.
striktlyaccord

striktlyaccord pfffft.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2011, 05:53:40 PM »

I'd say that 90% of the times I've changed plugs they have been off a little.

Wonderful.   :Smiley  What symptoms should I be looking for if I have plugs that are gapped slightly incorrectly, short and long-term?

Mike
Farts Dust

Fan Boys Anonymous

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2011, 11:29:47 PM »

Sluggish, but I doubt you will even notice any thing. They could wear faster.
striktlyaccord

striktlyaccord pfffft.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2011, 03:35:39 PM »

Here's a blurb that I wrote to NGK about my spark plug inquiry:

"2 weeks ago, I installed brand new oem replacement NGK Laser Iridium
spark plugs in my 2003 Accord (part #IZFR6K11).  I ran into some confusion
during the process because I was under the impression that these plugs came
pre-gapped from the factory.  Documentation for these plugs says that they
should be gapped at 0.044".  However, when using a standard gauge tool (round
kind), I could not get the 0.044" gauge to fit between the electrodes, nor the
0.040" gauge.  The only one that cleanly "fit" (slid freely between top and
bottom electrode - I hope this is how to do this correctly!) was the 0.035"
gauge.  I continued to install these plugs as-is, however, because the stock
plugs that I removed from the vehicle (also NGK) would not allow the 0.044" or
the 0.040" gauge to fit eaither... only the 0.035" gauge would fit those as
well.  So, it's been two weeks with no engine light or anything.  Should I
remove the plugs and try to gap them on my own, or should they be fine the way
they are?  If left in for a long time, could there be any possible ill-effects
at all? It should be noted that my vehicle also has some minor bolt-on
modifications to the engine (intake, header, exhaust, underdrive pulleys,
upgraded intake manifold, ground kit, premium fuel), but nothing too serious.
Thanks for any help in advance."

I got 2 responses.   Cheesy.  Here's the first one:

"These plugs have a factory tolerance to be within .039-.043" (1.0-1.1mm). I
would guess that they are correctly set somewhere within this range and should
be just fine. I would leave them as is so long as everything is running fine."

The second one:

"The -11 on your plug means .044" pre-set gap from the factory. No further
adjustment is necessary. We recommend using a wire style or feeler gauge gap
tool for a more accurate result. "

What do you guys think??

Mike
Farts Dust

Fan Boys Anonymous

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2011, 03:55:08 PM »

Both of those responses are from NGK?
striktlyaccord

striktlyaccord pfffft.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2011, 10:31:54 PM »

Both of those responses are from NGK?

Yeh, 2 different web/tech guys.  Dunno why I got 2 responses within three minutes of each other, but I did.   Undecided

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal © 2005-2012