Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 03, 2024, 02:00:11 AM
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Satin Silver vs Alabaster Silver  (Read 10545 times)
Jellynuts

Reputation Power: 2
Jellynuts pfffft.
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile
« on: March 18, 2009, 02:10:21 AM »

So my local Honda Dealership advertised a clearance on Accessories, and they listed the 03-07 Front lip for a great price!

I thought that was a steal so I jumped on it.  But as it turns out, despite me specifying that my car was an 05, the lip they were clearing was an 06-07, in Alabaster Silver.  My car being 05, is Satin Silver.  I took some quick snaps to see if I could tell the difference in color, It was late and dark, my car's dirty, and though the difference was subtle, I don't think it's passable.  

Sorry, I was going to ask if you guys could tell the difference, but now that I've looked over the pics again, it just becomes more apparent.  Plus, I really need to see it in the sun with a clean car.  

Sooo...  unless someone knows of any complications of installing an 06-07 lip on an 05 Accord, I'm going to get this repainted  :(

-edit-
Pictures!

In retrospect, I should have taken more angles.  I'll do it when it's sunnier.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 09:49:29 PM by Jellynuts » Logged

2005 TSX 6MT
2005 I4 Coup EXL (totaled)
Mike
Farts Dust

Fan Boys Anonymous

Reputation Power: 95
Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!
Trade Count: (5)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2009, 07:45:12 AM »

Yeah the differance is between the two colors is pretty big. A local dealer sold me the wrong touch up paint, and I learned quickly that the "Silver is Silver" approach doesn't work .
driveaccord

Reputation Power: 3
driveaccord pfffft.
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2009, 11:11:22 AM »

this is odd??  i thought honda didn't make the front lips for the 06-07 models.....thats why someone like myself with an 06 had to buy the 03-05 lip and modify it to fit.....and in regards to the color difference there clearly is one so if your any what anal about your car you will have to paint it eventually to match perfect

Milan

Reputation Power: 8
Milan pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2009, 12:33:03 PM »

Quote from: "driveaccord"
this is odd??  i thought honda didn't make the front lips for the 06-07 models.....thats why someone like myself with an 06 had to buy the 03-05 lip and modify it to fit.....and in regards to the color difference there clearly is one so if your any what anal about your car you will have to paint it eventually to match perfect

They do make an 06-07 lip but for the coupe, which this discussion is about even though it's not very clear.

Milan - NBP Coupe V6 6MT
Genevieve - Aspen White '07 MDX
driveaccord

driveaccord pfffft.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2009, 12:42:46 PM »

Quote from: "Milan"
Quote from: "driveaccord"

They do make an 06-07 lip but for the coupe, which this discussion is about even though it's not very clear.
ahhhhhh.....yeah i knew they made one for the coupe....thx for clearing that up though

Philly Steve

Philly Steve pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2009, 12:47:57 PM »

I can tell the difference. When my car is clean as can be i see every little fleck of paint in it like a true metallic (i have an 06-07 in Alabaster Silver Metallic). When I look at Satin Silver Metallic it just looks more dull IMO. Like there are fewer flecks of paint. This causes the Alabaster Silver color appear just a tad bit lighter.

If you think about it, Alabaster is a crystal-like mineral and satin typically has a glossy surface and a dull back. I can almost imagine little crystals in the paint of my car, while Satin Silver appears like satin. It is glossy and metallic on the top but it seems to have that dull back that shows through ever so slightly.
Blackhawk

Reputation Power: 16
Blackhawk pfffft.
Trade Count: (2)

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2009, 01:39:02 PM »

I think Scott repainted his car in ASM. Need to ask him to confirm though. Just seemed to have the "flecky" stuff that Steve is talking about.

Mike
Farts Dust

Fan Boys Anonymous

Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2009, 01:44:57 PM »

My ssm shows alot of flakes but, it's always kept very clean, Scott could just have a very clean ssm car.
jobata23

jobata23 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2009, 01:46:33 PM »

i dont see any difference on between them ;), anyways my front lip is satin silver and my car is alabaster, yeah the alabaster is brighter but since the front lip is on the bottom, you cant really tell between the two.

Mark
timot_one
Farts Dust

I act like I own this place, because I do!

Reputation Power: 140
timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2009, 04:01:36 PM »

I think it depends on the lighting, but the two are very close.  Since they are both metallics, they both have a metal "flake" in the paint.  When I take the time to detail my car and put a full day into it, I can get that flake to pop just as much as someone with ASM.

Tim
Quote from: Andrew Ilnyckyj
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
Philly Steve

Philly Steve pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2009, 05:01:19 PM »

my car is also kept very clean all the time if there is any dullness or dirt on the paint it gets washed, so maybe i am biased. but i can always see the flakes in my paint even when it is "dirty"
Mike
Farts Dust

Fan Boys Anonymous

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2009, 08:12:45 PM »

You might define dirty like I do lol...
Jellynuts

Jellynuts pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2009, 10:08:46 PM »

Quote from: "Milan"

You're good Wink, anyways my front lip is satin silver and my car is alabaster, yeah the alabaster is brighter but since the front lip is on the bottom, you cant really tell between the two.[/quote]
Quote from: "timot_one"
I think it depends on the lighting, but the two are very close.  Since they are both metallics, they both have a metal "flake" in the paint.  When I take the time to detail my car and put a full day into it, I can get that flake to pop just as much as someone with ASM.

The sun was in late late noon, and almost setting when I took the second picture, and in that natural setting, the two finishes were very close...  It might not be worth refinishing it, as that will be about 200...  For $350, I might as well return it and pick up the 03-05 lip!...  Which I am considering, because I don't totally know if I like the style of it!  

But I'll talk more about that in a new thread.  Thanks for all your thoughts!

2005 TSX 6MT
Blackhawk

Reputation Power: 16
Blackhawk pfffft.
Trade Count: (2)

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2009, 10:47:03 PM »

Either way you go with this, I hope it works out to your taste man.

Jellynuts

Jellynuts pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2009, 10:51:43 PM »

Thanks JT :)

2005 TSX 6MT
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: