Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 02, 2024, 09:13:03 PM
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: heat generating from CF cubby and cupholders  (Read 4224 times)
v6sicksspeed

Reputation Power: 7
v6sicksspeed pfffft.
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« on: September 15, 2009, 11:07:49 AM »

Mods - if this thread belongs in the J-series tranny section instead, please feel free to move it.

I've been taking quite a few roadtrips this summer and have noticed that after about the first 100 miles or so there's quite a bit of heat emanating from around my cupholder/center console area and also coming out of the CF cubby area.  

At first i thought it was just the summer sun and the general heat but now i'm thinking that it's coming from the transmission below.  Does anybody else notice this?

Tranny seems fine otherwise but it gets noticeably hot, to the point where if i stop and get a cold soda/water and leave it in the cupholder its completely warm in about 15 minutes.

...and no, my heated seats weren't on  :mrgreen:

J u s t i n
Mike
Farts Dust

Fan Boys Anonymous

Reputation Power: 95
Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!
Trade Count: (5)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2009, 11:13:02 AM »

Justin the transmission is not actually located under this portion of the car. On our cars it is mounted sidways in front of the fire wall. The only thing I can think of that runs under this part of the car is the cat/exhaust. Do you have the J-Pipe/Test pipe installed?
CrazyCreashunz

Reputation Power: 27
CrazyCreashunz who is this guy?CrazyCreashunz who is this guy?
Trade Count: (5)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2009, 11:57:54 AM »

Quote from: "lavalleemike"
Justin the transmission is not actually located under this portion of the car. On our cars it is mounted sidways in front of the fire wall. The only thing I can think of that runs under this part of the car is the cat/exhaust. Do you have the J-Pipe/Test pipe installed?

+1 tranny runs sideways... the catalytic converter is right in that area. Did you lose your heat shield that is around it? If so that may be where the heat is coming from!  :idea:
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 03:49:21 PM by CrazyCreashunz » Logged

Billy -Prez. of Team Crazy Creashunz
My Elite CM Profile I  www.CrazyCreashunz.com I "Like Us" on Facebook!
CrackerTeg
Farts Dust

No fucks given.

Reputation Power: 99
CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2009, 12:27:07 PM »

Moved to better forum. As far as the heat coming from the cubby/ cup holder area, I think Billy might be on the right track.

"If one day the speed kills me, do not cry because I was smiling." - Paul Walker
stirfriedferret

Reputation Power: 2
stirfriedferret pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2009, 11:53:50 PM »

I have the same thing going on in my car and I know for a fact that my heat shield around my catalytic converter is still there and intact.  I'm just curious about it now...  Maybe it's always been doing that and I just never noticed.

timot_one
Farts Dust

I act like I own this place, because I do!

Reputation Power: 140
timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2009, 12:34:35 AM »

I have the same thing going on also.  I noticed it after some engine upgrades and tuning the idle of my car.  Of course, my car was sitting and going nowhere, so there was no air flow to cool my exhaust down.  I'm pretty sure it is your exhaust that's causing this.  Maybe it is because it's the summer and you're just noticing it now.  Maybe I'm wrong and there's another problem.

Tim
Quote from: Andrew Ilnyckyj
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
v6sicksspeed

Reputation Power: 7
v6sicksspeed pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2009, 11:47:25 AM »

like i said in the OP, it could have been happening a while, but i just started noticing it in the past 6 months.  it is likely the exhaust and isnt causing any major problems.  no codes are being thrown and engine temp is normal, which is good.  I'll let sleeping dogs lie unless this gets worse or there are signs of an actual problem

J u s t i n
timot_one
Farts Dust

I act like I own this place, because I do!

Reputation Power: 140
timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2009, 10:48:48 PM »

I concur.

Tim
Quote from: Andrew Ilnyckyj
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
kSchwiggy

Reputation Power: 1
kSchwiggy pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2009, 12:16:04 PM »

are there any electronics down there? I have my ipod connector sitting down in that area myself. I'm assuming you dont have anything since you didnt mention it but figured I'd ask
ikethegreat

Reputation Power: 24
ikethegreat who is this guy?ikethegreat who is this guy?

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2009, 11:34:01 AM »

Man I wish I had something like this so I could actually keep my coffee hot on the way to work.   :cry:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal © 2005-2012