Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 14, 2024, 06:13:37 PM
Pages: [1] 2 Last »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Do my coilovers need servicing?  (Read 9688 times)
striktlyaccord

Reputation Power: 14
striktlyaccord pfffft.
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile WWW
« on: August 25, 2009, 09:40:25 PM »

Okay, so basically those rubber "bump stops" (or whatever they're called) that the springs sit directly on top of on my Tein coilovers are all corroded, cracked, and broken to bits.  I was doing some work today and noticed that one of them actually looks like this:

This means that the spring is sitting directly on the metal seat thingy with no rubber protection.  My question is, is this bad and should they be replaced, or am I okay and it's no big deal since rubber just corrodes naturally?

InFuMoUs

Reputation Power: 5
InFuMoUs pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2009, 10:05:05 PM »

I dunno, but I would think that the rubber serves a purpose...like keeping the metal to metal contact to a minimum. Geez now I gotta check mine, but didnt notice anything out of the norm last time I checked mine.

Steve - NYCM Squad/Team Crazy Creashunz
EliteCM Profile

Mr Eazy

Reputation Power: 8
Mr Eazy pfffft.
Trade Count: (2)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2009, 10:22:47 PM »

Wow, good question Dave, I remember removing a sliver of rubber from one of my coilovers a while back. I hope someone knows the answer to this.

Is that a condom you have covering the thread? Smiley

Arie
2006 Accord V6 6mt Sedan CM6 CBP
timot_one
Farts Dust

I act like I own this place, because I do!

Reputation Power: 140
timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2009, 10:34:11 PM »

Just buy new ones from Tein.  They sell all kinds of replacement stuff for our suspension.  Call them first to find out which parts you need and then you can buy them here.

Tim
Quote from: Andrew Ilnyckyj
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
striktlyaccord

striktlyaccord pfffft.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2009, 12:11:50 AM »

Arie - It's the stretch and seal I bought to cover the coilover threads from the elements, not a condom.

Tim - I know you can buy a bunch of parts directly from Tein, but my question was is it NECESSARY to have the rubber piece or are we good without it?  I really don't wanna have to remove all four coilovers just to install a piece of rubber if I don't have to.

Mr Eazy

Reputation Power: 8
Mr Eazy pfffft.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2009, 12:29:41 AM »

Quote from: "striktlyaccord"
Arie - It's the stretch and seal I bought to cover the coilover threads from the elements, not a condom.

I know bro, just messing with you.

BTW, we need to have another meet in your area, sunday was awesome.

Back OT: it will suck to disassemble the whole suspension to install a lousy rubber, but it also might help you to do it as a little preventative maintenance by giving you an opportunity to clean up and prep the coilovers for the upcoming winter .

Arie
2006 Accord V6 6mt Sedan CM6 CBP
stirfriedferret

Reputation Power: 2
stirfriedferret pfffft.
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2009, 02:18:22 AM »

Quote from: "striktlyaccord"

Tim - I know you can buy a bunch of parts directly from Tein, but my question was is it NECESSARY to have the rubber piece or are we good without it?  I really don't wanna have to remove all four coilovers just to install a piece of rubber if I don't have to.

I have the same issue right now with my current setup.  The rubber is only there to cut down on noise, but nothing else. If you hear a noise when you hit bumps (its a sort of clacking), then it's because your rubber insulators are gone.  It's not necessary to replace these, but if the clacking annoys you (which it does, me), replace them.

timot_one
Farts Dust

timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2009, 08:19:54 AM »

I would replace them to avoid any failure due to metal to metal contact.  It may be a pain in the ass to do, but it's not impossible to do with your suspension.  An ounce of prevention may be worthwhile.

Tim
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
striktlyaccord

striktlyaccord pfffft.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2009, 12:45:28 AM »

Quote from: "stirfriedferret"
... The rubber is only there to cut down on noise, but nothing else. If you hear a noise when you hit bumps (its a sort of clacking), then it's because your rubber insulators are gone.  It's not necessary to replace these, but if the clacking annoys you (which it does, me), replace them.

That's what I figured.  Tein sells these "rubber spring seats" for $9.50 a pop.  I'll see how things are looking before the wintertime to determine whether or not I'll replace these.  It would be nice though to remove the coilovers and get the threads all cleaned up and lubed.   :roll:   Fuckin cars.

timot_one
Farts Dust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2009, 07:52:13 AM »

Removing your suspension is a lot easier than you think.

Tim
InFuMoUs

Reputation Power: 5
InFuMoUs pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2009, 12:40:56 PM »

Ya dont you got the SS-P Dave? You can always swap em out with the OEM's when winter time comes and take apart the Tein's to replace the rubber part.

Steve - NYCM Squad/Team Crazy Creashunz
EliteCM Profile

b_beau_09

Reputation Power: 20
b_beau_09 who is this guy?b_beau_09 who is this guy?

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2009, 03:24:17 PM »

Quote from: "timot_one"

+1.. in the past few weeks i've had to remove/replace mine a total of 5 times or so.  as long as you anti-seize the bolts, it's a breeze.

-brian
striktlyaccord

striktlyaccord pfffft.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2009, 01:00:08 AM »

Quote from: "timot_one"

You forget who you're dealing with here... the worst DIY'er on the planet (this guy).

Quote from: "InFuMoUs"
Ya dont you got the SS-P Dave? You can always swap em out with the OEM's when winter time comes and take apart the Tein's to replace the rubber part.

Steve, I have the SS version, not the SS-P.  Swapping to oem in the winter would be a good idea, but it's work I just don't feel like doing.

Quote from: "b_beau_09"
+1.. in the past few weeks i've had to remove/replace mine a total of 5 times or so. as long as you anti-seize the bolts, it's a breeze.

Don't you need a spring compressor and all that junk?

timot_one
Farts Dust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2009, 02:00:46 PM »

No spring compressor needed.

Tim
Mike
Farts Dust

Fan Boys Anonymous

Reputation Power: 95
Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!
Trade Count: (5)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2009, 02:20:33 PM »

You wouldn't need a spring compressor for removal but, to replace that rubber seat you may. I'm not sure but, it looks like its a ring on the tein site.
Pages: [1] 2 Last »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal © 2005-2012