Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 04, 2024, 02:05:20 PM
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I have never had more fun, washing someone else's car.  (Read 3465 times)
skizot

Reputation Power: 5
skizot pfffft.
Trade Count: (7)

View Profile
« on: May 13, 2009, 07:25:48 PM »

As you all know, I recently reached out to Jason (aka Deep Gloss) for some tips and tricks to washing a car, to avoid swirl marks. I even started a thread to thank him publicly because his information has been priceless.

Today, I received most of the supplies that I ordered, some based on his recommendation others to just try out. To make a long story short, my car was already clean, the Porsche is in the Body Shop, so it was my wife's SUV to get the royal treatment.

Started around 5pm when the sun went down. Car was cool (in the garage)
Sprayed wheels down with P21s Gel and let it dwell.
Use my newly acquire wheel brush to loosen up some of the caked on brake dust
Setup the new pressure washer and use that to clean off the wheels, arches and under carriage
Pressure washed the rest of the car for a first rinse
Sprayed front, lower body panels, under carriage, arches, high impact areas with Surf City Grime Destroyer and let it dwell.
Busted out the new Foam Gun (not the pressure washer kind, just the one you connect to a hose) and foamed up the car using what I had lying around, Gold Class (although I am still waiting on some better stuff I just learned about)
Let the foam dwell, what fun and smelt great!
Pressure washed the car to remove the foam/soap - so much more fun doing this at your house, versus a car wash
At this point, seriously I have never seen a car so clean, without ever having to touch it with a mitt. It was awesome.
Using a two bucket wash, with my newly acquired grit guards and some more Gold Class, washed the car
Pressure washed for the final time.
Used the regular hose to wash off any remaining suds.
Based on Jason's recommendation and what an amazing recommendation it was, use the hose, with no nozzle to wash down the car for a final rinse. He said the weight of the water would help pull the water beads off the car, making it easier to dry. BEST TIP EVER! It totally worked and would say it helped shave half the typical drying time,
Used FK425 as a quick detailer while drying the rest of the car, amazing!
Use a leaf blower to blow off the rest of the water in the small areas, like mirrors, taillights, bumpers, etc.

At this point, seriously, I could not believe how unbelievable the car looked. I am still missing some key pieces, like Adam's undercarriage spray and a couple of other products I am going to try, but damn it looked so good at this point.

I was not going to clay my wife's SUV, number 1 because it was getting late, number 2 because LOST season finale is tonight. Number 3, my wife could care less about her car being clean, so this was more for fun and to try things out, then it was for it to be a complete job.

I did give the car a once over with some Meguiars NXT 2.0 Wax/Sealant, by hand, just to get some protection on the car. I cannot wait to REALLY do the next steps that would typically follow when I get the Porsche back from the body shop, including clay, polish, sealant and carnauba. Not to mention the other awesome shit I purchased for the rubber, leather, vinyl and so forth.

Thanks Jason. Car washing is fun once again. Skippy will tell you that I love my car being clean and I have never felt better about my cars being cleaner then ever before!
wtcii

Reputation Power: 25
wtcii who is this guy?wtcii who is this guy?
Trade Count: (2)

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2009, 07:36:29 PM »

When ever I wash my parents cars, Lexus and Toyota, I always have more fun. That is probably just because the types of cars, and I get to drive them. :twisted: My Grandpa had a S550 w/ AMG appearance package, I used to wash it for free so that I could drive it.

Bill C.
SECM member
I guess he has money to burn.  I'd rather waste my money on parts that actually make my car faster, hookers, and drugs.  Fucking amateurs.   :Smiley
Mike
Farts Dust

Fan Boys Anonymous

Reputation Power: 95
Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!
Trade Count: (5)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2009, 08:17:30 PM »

Where are the photos scott.
skizot

skizot pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2009, 08:23:13 PM »

Quote from: "lavalleemike"
Where are the photos scott.

Dude, you are killing me. First, did you ever get the grill? Anyway. I was so tired from all day, I didn't think to do before pictures, so after pictures would not make sense. I will do before, during and after when I do the Porsche in a couple of weeks when I get it back from the body shop. Promise. =)
Deep Gloss

Reputation Power: 1
Deep Gloss pfffft.
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2009, 09:24:20 PM »

Man I have the biggest S*&t eating grin on my face right now.. I am very happy that you are happy with your investment and your new supply of goods!!!
Mike
Farts Dust

Fan Boys Anonymous

Reputation Power: 95
Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!
Trade Count: (5)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2009, 09:25:31 PM »

I got the grill ty
skizot

skizot pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2009, 09:30:03 PM »

Quote from: "Deep Gloss"
Man I have the biggest S*&t eating grin on my face right now.. I am very happy that you are happy with your investment and your new supply of goods!!!

So happy, yes. For as hard of work it is, you would not think it would be that fun. I can't even take it right now! I am so stoked to do this to the Porsche when I get it back.
Slammedk24

Reputation Power: 1
Slammedk24 pfffft.
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2009, 10:47:33 PM »

yeah theres just something about detailing a car from hell.  We keep our cars like new so it not so rewarding or special, but when you have a car that looks like shit and you get to watch it transform into something amazing you get all happy and excited about it.

Tory
"Low and Slow"
skizot

skizot pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2009, 11:35:39 PM »

Quote from: "Slammedk24"
yeah theres just something about detailing a car from hell.  We keep our cars like new so it not so rewarding or special, but when you have a car that looks like shit and you get to watch it transform into something amazing you get all happy and excited about it.

My wife's SUV fits this bill nicely. It was very dirty.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal © 2005-2012