Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 03, 2024, 03:32:25 AM
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to fix clear coat coming off  (Read 15755 times)
slipkord
Veteran

Reputation Power: 31
slipkord is almost recognized as human.slipkord is almost recognized as human.slipkord is almost recognized as human.
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile
« on: October 30, 2009, 04:51:03 PM »

My clear coat is coming off my roof. Right now it's a tad smaller than my fist. How can I correct this? Need some steps from you detail guys out there. Can I just throw on some buffing compound and call it a day, or is it a multistep process? It's a big eye sore since I'm trying to sell my car, plus, of course it's just going to get worse. I need to slow it down, completely fix it, or cover it up. I dont care. Just want to fix it. Pics of the damage to come later. Any help would be much appreciated.

« Last Edit: October 31, 2009, 03:10:42 PM by slipkord » Logged
skizot

Reputation Power: 5
skizot pfffft.
Trade Count: (7)

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2009, 05:02:45 PM »

There is no such thing as just quickly fixing this issue. If the clear coat is failing, that's it, game over. Once the paint system is compromised like this, there are not many great options. The options as I see it are as follows:

• Wet sand and clear the entire roof, making sure to really get any rough edges where the clear is coming up now.
• Wet sand just the area and clear just that area, using a heavy compound, polish afterwards to attempt to blend it in
• Take an aggressive compound and buffing pad combination to polish the painted area around the clear coat failure and then the rest of the roof to make it blend until you sell the car, although this will most likely look good for a very short period of time.
• Ignore it, knock a few hundred off the sale of the car and be done with it
AV6NHBP6SPD

Reputation Power: 21
AV6NHBP6SPD who is this guy?AV6NHBP6SPD who is this guy?
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2009, 05:13:29 PM »

i would wetsand around edges where clear coat is coming off. then buff it so it doesnt look like there was damage. and use selant or was to protect that area

this is reason you use paint gauge when buying new car

Misha
http://www.detailedimage.com/wax.php?id=10288&url=detailedimage.com
"Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… That’s what gets you" - Jeremy Clarkson
timot_one
Farts Dust

I act like I own this place, because I do!

Reputation Power: 140
timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2009, 05:16:45 PM »

I'm with Scott on this one.

Tim
Quote from: Andrew Ilnyckyj
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
Mike
Farts Dust

Fan Boys Anonymous

Reputation Power: 95
Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!
Trade Count: (5)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2009, 05:33:13 PM »

I'd have to agree to let them fix it. If you have someone fix it for you it's going to be expensive, and if you do it yourself there is always the chance of making it worse which hurts your chances at a sale that much more.
slipkord
Veteran

slipkord is almost recognized as human.slipkord is almost recognized as human.slipkord is almost recognized as human.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2009, 05:39:06 PM »

Mike, I'm no pro, so the chances of me screwing it up are high, I wonder how it would look if I put some touch up paint over it?
wtcii

Reputation Power: 25
wtcii who is this guy?wtcii who is this guy?
Trade Count: (2)

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2009, 06:39:34 PM »

Just get it fixed; you can't hide from it.

Bill C.
SECM member
I guess he has money to burn.  I'd rather waste my money on parts that actually make my car faster, hookers, and drugs.  Fucking amateurs.   :Smiley
AV6NHBP6SPD

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2009, 09:24:03 PM »

like scott said. once its damages it just gona spread. get it fixed before it gets any worse

Misha
"Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… That’s what gets you" - Jeremy Clarkson
wtcii

Reputation Power: 25
wtcii who is this guy?wtcii who is this guy?
Trade Count: (2)

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2009, 02:09:39 AM »

I can only find one picture on my computer of my damage. In May 07, there was a dime sized spot on the hood. The car is garaged and well taken care of. Here is the picture. I took it for the Back to black, reason for the different color wiper arms.

All that to show, do anything you can to prevent the spread. That pretty much covers the entire hood. I am about to get it fixed, I am just trying to decide which shop to use.

Bill C.
SECM member
I guess he has money to burn.  I'd rather waste my money on parts that actually make my car faster, hookers, and drugs.  Fucking amateurs.   :Smiley
slipkord
Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2009, 03:11:53 PM »

Updated OP with pic
skizot

Reputation Power: 5
skizot pfffft.
Trade Count: (7)

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2009, 09:22:50 PM »

Now that I can see the actual damage with the picture, if it were me and I would be selling the car, I would probably just forgo any sort of sanding and use just a polish on that area to make it blend in and then cover with some wax or sealant. It would last long enough for the sale to probably go through. Being as you are not going to probably purchase higher end products and need to get something over the counter, I would say look at purchasing some Meguiars Ultimate Polish. Afterwards, I would coat with either Mequiars NXT 2.0 sealant. Let it cure for about 10 minutes and put two more coats of the NXT wax. Again, this is going to simply mask the problem. The area will get worse and not go away over time, but it would look nice for a long enough period of time to sell the car.

There are better non-OTC products for the job, but probably not worth the money to invest into, without having the right equipment to use it with.
AV6NHBP6SPD

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2009, 12:08:12 PM »

wetsand that shit and polish. cant get any worth lol.
most white hondas dont have clear coat and are fine lol

Misha
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal © 2005-2012