Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 05, 2024, 04:14:19 PM
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How-To: Prevent Hyper-Flash for LED Turn Signals  (Read 4904 times)
DreaminAccord

I <3 My Honda

Reputation Power: 5
DreaminAccord pfffft.
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile
« on: February 24, 2013, 08:41:07 PM »

After installing my TSX LED side mirrors, I had noticed that the LEDs were blinking inconsistently (faster) than my incandescent turn signal bulbs. This was driving me nuts!

So, I had recently ordered LED turn signals (front & rear) from V-LEDs and noticed after putting in the rear, that the hazards flashed at a normal speed (60-120x/minute is considered a "normal flash setting") but while using either turn signal, they'd hyper-flash.

A lot of companies like SuperBrightLEDs and V-LEDs sale, what they call, "Flashers" - basically, flasher relays that have been modified to recognize the lower resistance/power consumption of LEDs. These "Flashers" that you can buy are simple PnP applications to replace your OEM Turn Signal / Hazard relay located in your driver-side footwell fuse panel. However, these are only for your common 3-pin and 4-pin relays. Unfortunately for us (7G Accord owners), we have a 6-pin relay in which I have not come across one company that manufactures/sells a "fix" to our hyper-flash problem.

So, with that being said, I set out and did a lot of research and want to thank Roger (from AcuraZine) and Tom (from RidgelineOwnersClub) for their wonderful write-ups on how they accomplished this mod on their cars (Tom's RL and Roger's TL) and to actually FIX the problem at the root, as opposed to just placing a band-aid over it (i.e. load resistors that need to be properly soldered at each and every location a LED is being used)

DISCLAIMER: I am NOT responsible for any damage that may occur or any mistakes that you make. This How-To tutorial is being written based solely as a demonstration document. Proceed at your own risk.

In the end, the Flasher Relay should continue to function properly with any of the following three setups (per side):
(2) Two incandescent bulbs
(1) One incandescent bulb / (1) one LED
(2) Two LED bulbs

Let's begin by gathering the equipment/tools you will need:

Next, you want to open up the relay to expose the motherboard:

(Note: Remember to cut off the excess wire)

Lastly, swap the stock Flasher Relay with your new modified one and enjoy your now normal blinking LED turn signals

Relay location:

After installing, it worked like a charm! I tested it with two incandescent bulbs; 1 incandescent and 1 LED (rear); and 2 LEDs (front & rear). I no longer have hyper-flash and ALL of the turn signals (front, rear, and mirrors) all blink in sync

« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 07:47:44 PM by DreaminAccord » Logged

Ben

2007 Honda Accord EX-L V6 w/ Navi - 1st Honda!
Graphite Gray / Black Leather

HEcreated487

Reputation Power: 7
HEcreated487 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2013, 12:11:58 PM »

M!©h@3L ¤ ¤ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ¤ ¤
cna

Reputation Power: 16
cna pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2013, 01:06:00 PM »

Am going to try this over the weekend i been meaning to do it Thanks for the info

CrackerTeg
Farts Dust

No fucks given.

Reputation Power: 99
CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2013, 01:50:39 PM »

That's some good info Ben. Good writeup.

"If one day the speed kills me, do not cry because I was smiling." - Paul Walker
DreaminAccord

I <3 My Honda

DreaminAccord pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2013, 04:10:09 PM »

Thanks y'all! Feel free to click that rep button

Installation proved to be a success! Updated pics in OP

Ben

Povy
Fucking Newb

Reputation Power: 1
Povy pfffft.
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2013, 01:12:26 AM »

Dang Ben doing WORK as usual. Like a BAUCE

DreaminAccord

I <3 My Honda

DreaminAccord pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2013, 11:15:53 AM »

haha

Ben

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal © 2005-2012