Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 05, 2024, 05:49:06 AM
Pages: [1] 2 Last »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help - both HID headlights out  (Read 7528 times)
striktlyaccord

Reputation Power: 14
striktlyaccord pfffft.
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile WWW
« on: December 10, 2012, 12:39:19 PM »

I don't usually jump on here at work, but it's lunch time and I kinda have to.

Without ranting about everything that's happened automotive to me within the last 48 hours (that'll be another thread), I have an issue with the Accord.  This morning, both headlights were on.  I then noticed a few minutes later that the driver side HID was out.  My thought went to checking the bulb, but then 30 minutes later, I checked the car again, and BOTH headlights aren't coming on.  High beams, blinkers, my fogs, etc. are all fine.  I can hear the relay clicking when I turn the lever to "on" on the steering column.  However, the low beams are not firing.  Keep in mind, my setup is a custom retrofit with Matsushita gen 3 ballasts, Philips bulbs, and a custom wiring harness from Ken with I believe a dedicated fuse for each headlight (I could be wrong... hoping Ken will chime in).  So basically, driver's side crapped out, then passenger side shortly after.  Trying to get ideas on what to look into as I'm gonna have to drive home with my high beams tonight and I'm no pro at wiring.

CrackerTeg
Farts Dust

No fucks given.

Reputation Power: 99
CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2012, 01:05:29 PM »

Let's see what I can come up with here.

IIRC, the OEM setup has a relay that fires off for the low beams. Since you also have a relay harness for the retros, you have another variable. Just because you hear clicking, it doesn't mean the relay is good. You may have also popped fuses in that custom harness or in your OEM fuse box. Lots of variables with custom setups. Best thing to do is probe with a DMM at the OEM harness hookups then go from there.

"If one day the speed kills me, do not cry because I was smiling." - Paul Walker
CYANiDE

Reputation Power: 8
CYANiDE pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2012, 01:06:18 PM »

My guess is that something wrong with the harness. Check the fuses and grounds first. I had the same issue with mine, ended up being the fuse holder had opened and the fuse became loose.

Eric.
2006 Honda Accord EX 2.4L Sedan
thisaznboi88

Reputation Power: 24
thisaznboi88 who is this guy?thisaznboi88 who is this guy?
Trade Count: (6)

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2012, 01:21:12 PM »

Check the fuse on there harness. There are 2 15amp fuse I believe (closes to the battery), and then 2 40 amp relay harness. This is the one that I had custom built for you right? If anything You can test the ballast directly by plugging them into the OEM 9006 sockets. I believe your masushita had 9006 pig tails.

might be water got into the relay. Or water got into the ballast? not sure if I integrated the ballast into your headlights. 

~~FlashPro tuned by domgsr-t~~
Kinda Flashpro tuned by http://vittuned.com/
striktlyaccord

striktlyaccord pfffft.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2012, 04:45:09 PM »

OK, so I went out an hour ago, and both my headlights fired up fine.  Now I'm even more confused.  What could have caused this?

And yes Ken, it's the harness you gave me.

ikethegreat

ikethegreat who is this guy?ikethegreat who is this guy?
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2012, 07:55:44 AM »

Loose connection in the harness somewhere? 
CrackerTeg
Farts Dust

No fucks given.

CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!CrackerTeg is a pimp among pimps!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2012, 09:59:51 AM »

That's what I'm thinking could've happened. When mine started acting up, it turned out to be the ballasts. After swapping with a couple of spares, I haven't had issues. Knock on wood.

"If one day the speed kills me, do not cry because I was smiling." - Paul Walker
thisaznboi88

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2012, 03:50:11 PM »

where are the ballast mounted?

CrackerTeg
Farts Dust

No fucks given.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2012, 04:29:35 PM »

Mine or Dave's?

thisaznboi88

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2012, 04:32:56 PM »

^ sorry. That question should have went to Dave.

Rich01

Reputation Power: 20
Rich01 who is this guy?Rich01 who is this guy?
Trade Count: (2)

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2012, 08:05:26 PM »

Dave, not only check for faulty connections, but also corrosion of the terminals on the relay and fuses. With this misty weather over the past few days, moisture could have caused some corrosion. This is what happened to mine this past summer a few days after i sprayed down my engine bay.

Rich
striktlyaccord

striktlyaccord pfffft.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2012, 12:14:39 AM »

Good point with the weather, but everything should be pretty sealed up.  Ken, the ballasts are secured behind the headlights.  Don't think that it's a ballast issue because why would both of them cause a problem at almost the same time, and then work fine?  I haven't had time yet though to really dig through things with work and all, so I'm not ruling anything out.

timot_one
Farts Dust

I act like I own this place, because I do!

Reputation Power: 140
timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2012, 12:25:46 AM »

Dave, it could also be the relays.  If they got water in them, they could work intermittently.  I've seen that happen with the cheaper ones.  You probably want to make sure they're clicking and then make sure there's voltage at the connectors into the ballasts if they do.

Tim
Quote from: Andrew Ilnyckyj
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
striktlyaccord

striktlyaccord pfffft.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2012, 12:05:35 AM »

I know for a fact they were clicking.

timot_one
Farts Dust

I act like I own this place, because I do!

Reputation Power: 140
timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2012, 08:09:09 AM »

That's good.  Did you test for 12 volts at the ballasts?

Tim
Quote from: Andrew Ilnyckyj
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
Pages: [1] 2 Last »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal © 2005-2012