Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 05, 2024, 10:35:11 AM
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HID bulbs in projector headlights compatiblity?  (Read 3008 times)
WesJS
Fucking Newb

Reputation Power: 1
WesJS pfffft.
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« on: February 06, 2012, 12:56:16 AM »

Hi, I'm a new member here, and have a newbie question:

I bought a set of Spec-D projector headlights, and they came with halogen bulbs already in them (bulb size is H1, which is different from our stock headlight size).  I am interested in purchasing a HID kit for these projectors, but from what I can gather, the HID H1 bulbs are slightly longer than the H1 halogens, and that a tiny amount of adjustment to the bulb socket is needed for the base in order for the base of the HID bulb to fit.

Is this because these particular projectors aren't made to handle HID lights, and since the bulb is longer, would it affect the light output pattern or melt the housing anything like that? Any input on this subject would be a great help.  Thanks.
timot_one
Farts Dust

I act like I own this place, because I do!

Reputation Power: 140
timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 01:42:57 AM »

Wes, it seems like you have the projector style headlights.  I've never heard of Spec-D, but I'll assume that's the company that makes them, or what the seller calls them.  I'll be honest with you though.  Those headlights use fog light projectors, which is why they take a H1 bulb.  I'm assuming that you want the HID kit because the output of the headlights isn't that good.  I don't have any personal experience with those headlights you have, but there are plenty of people that have them that were able to slap in a set of HID bulbs without any problems.  H1 is a halogen bulb size that shouldn't vary from halogen to HID.  The HID bulbs that come in these kits are manufactured as halogen replacements.  Real HID bulbs that are manufactured to be used in HID housings come in specific sizes (i.e. - D2R, D2S, D4S).

It will most likely affect the output because they're a shitload brighter.  It will affect the output pattern because the projectors are lower than OEM quality and the brighter bulb will probably create "hot spots".  I doubt they'll melt the housings though.  If you like the headlights you have and want to use a HID kit, go for it.  Just remember, it's not going to be a huge improvement when you compare them to OEM HIDs.

Tim
Quote from: Andrew Ilnyckyj
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
WesJS
Fucking Newb

Reputation Power: 1
WesJS pfffft.
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 01:54:11 AM »

Yeah I really like the look of these headlights, and already have the headlight housings installed and everything, so it looks like I'll stick with these for now and install an HID kit into them. I tried to research before I bought them, but I guess that I overlooked this part before I made the purchase. Thanks for the info, much appreciated.
timot_one
Farts Dust

I act like I own this place, because I do!

Reputation Power: 140
timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 01:59:23 AM »

No problem.  Good luck.

I know there are some guys that end up retrofitting those style headlights with OEM projectors.  It will definitely improve the performance of those headlights immensely.

Tim
Quote from: Andrew Ilnyckyj
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal © 2005-2012