Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 14, 2024, 11:58:32 AM
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 31 Next > Last »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Only Fog Light Thread You Should Ever Post In  (Read 141737 times)
lilmalu

Reputation Power: 2
lilmalu pfffft.
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« on: February 09, 2009, 08:52:44 PM »

ADMIN EDIT
I just merged close to 20 different threads on fog lights.  The majority of them were the same topic, how to wire them up properly or to get them to turn on in a different fashion other than intended by the manufacturer.  There is no reason for that to happen.  At this point, if you create a new thread about fog lights instead of posting in here, you will be immediately banned for one week.  Any fog light related post will now be in this thread only.

OP
I'm searching through the forums of Torontoaccords.com and i came across this topic:
http://torontoaccords.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=57046

Is it possible?
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 03:46:07 PM by timot_one » Logged

timot_one
Farts Dust

I act like I own this place, because I do!

Reputation Power: 140
timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2009, 09:56:35 PM »

Yeah, it's definitely possible.  Do you just  want the fog lights to always come on when your car is on, or do you still want to have a switch to turn them on and off?

Tim
Quote from: Andrew Ilnyckyj
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
lilmalu

lilmalu pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2009, 09:54:26 AM »

he still wants to have the switch

timot_one
Farts Dust

timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2009, 10:43:49 AM »

Ohhh, so you're asking for another guy on your local forum?  It's really easy to use it with the switch.  So they don't want them as DRL's, but they want them to turn on with the switch.  DRL's are always on when the engine is running, but shut off when the headlights are turned on.  You don't have any sort of switch though.  I'll draw up a wiring diagram when I have time.  It will involve modifying the harness though.  Hopefully the guy is comfortable with that.

Tim
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
Mike
Farts Dust

Fan Boys Anonymous

Reputation Power: 95
Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!
Trade Count: (5)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2009, 10:55:23 AM »

I poked through the thread on Toronto Accord's and from reading it I dont think this guy will be comfortable with modifying the harness.
timot_one
Farts Dust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2009, 01:04:04 PM »

Quote from: "lavalleemike"
I poked through the thread on Toronto Accord's and from reading it I dont think this guy will be comfortable with modifying the harness.

I re-read through the thread again and didn't get that impression.  I did see that lilmalu just copied and pasted my post though.  Hahaha.

Anyway, it's a simple modification.  I just joined up over there so I could post an answer.  I'll also post here too.

Basically, the OEM fog light wiring harness is set up so your fog lights can only be turned on when your headlights are on, and will not turn on when you have your parking lights on or your high beams on.  You can either wire it up under the hood or in your dash.  I would suggest wiring it under your dash because it's an easier space to work in, but I'll list both methods.

Under The Dash
With this connection you basically just wire up the switch to bypass the "disable" relay that engergizes when you turn on your high beams.
  • Cut the blue wire on the switch in the dash from the harness plug end (not the switch plug end).
  • In the ignition harness found in the steering column, connect the blue wire to either:
    • the Ignition wire (black/yellow) for it to provide power when the car is in run *recommended connection
    • the Accessory wire (black/red) for it to provide power when the car is in run or starting
  • Make sure to solder and heat shrink (or use electrical tape) all connections
  • Test

Under The Hood
With this connection you basically just wire up the harness to bypass the "disable" relay that engergizes when you turn on your high beams.
  • Do not connect the white/green or red/green wires to the fuse box in step 15
  • Find the relay plug in the harness that has these four wires:
    • white/green
    • red/green
    • blue
    • black
  • Cut the blue wire from the relay plug
  • Find the black/red wire in the underhood fuse box (fuse # 18)
  • Connect the blue wire to the black/red wire
  • Make sure to solder and heat shrink (or use electrical tape) all connections
  • Test

Tim
lilmalu

lilmalu pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2009, 08:13:44 AM »

Quote from: "timot_one"

I re-read through the thread again and didn't get that impression.  I did see that lilmalu just copied and pasted my post though.  Hahaha.

Should've told you that I copied your words Tim, my bad.

Mike
Farts Dust

Fan Boys Anonymous

Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!Mike is a pimp among pimps!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2009, 08:28:56 AM »

I read through it again Tim, and your correct he does seem to have enough knowlege.
timot_one
Farts Dust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2009, 11:13:42 AM »

Quote from: "lilmalu"
Quote from: "timot_one"
I did see that lilmalu just copied and pasted my post though.  Hahaha.

Should've told you that I copied your words Tim, my bad.

I was just busting your chops man.

I read through it again Tim, and your correct he does seem to have enough knowlege.

I can't really comment on the knowledge part.  It seems that he's okay with cutting wires and modifying stuff though.  He sent me an e-mail, but I'm not sure he understood what I originally explained.

Tim
fabulous010

Reputation Power: 7
fabulous010 pfffft.
Trade Count: (2)

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2009, 11:52:59 PM »

im that guy! i have dont my own diys. just to list a few... installed my own fog kit with hids, blacked out my own headlights, and installed oem front lip. im not that bad.

i just want to make sure i have a full understanding. i think i got it!!!!

u connect the blue wire from the switch harness to the yellow/black with in the steering column so that when i turn on my car they will automatically turn on but yet i can still turn them off with the switch? and whenever i high beam it would nt disable my fogs. if this is right than thats amazing. i dont like to use my high beams cuz i dont want to be switching my hids on my fogs on and off. and do i also get to keep my drl fuse out for my headlights? and lastly will this set up work with my fog hids?

once again thanks timot for all your help and registering me
fab

timot_one
Farts Dust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2009, 12:48:10 AM »

Don't worry, electrical isn't most people's thing.  I just like 12 volt electronics and happen to know more than the average enthusiast.

Just to be perfectly clear, the blue wire you run to the yellow/black wire in your ignition harness is connected to the switch, not the harness.

Tim
Mike
Farts Dust

Fan Boys Anonymous

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2009, 09:17:49 AM »

Quote from: "fabulous010"
im that guy! i have dont my own diys. just to list a few... installed my own fog kit with hids, blacked out my own headlights, and installed oem front lip. im not that bad.

i just want to make sure i have a full understanding. i think i got it!!!!

u connect the blue wire from the switch harness to the yellow/black with in the steering column so that when i turn on my car they will automatically turn on but yet i can still turn them off with the switch? and whenever i high beam it would nt disable my fogs. if this is right than thats amazing. i dont like to use my high beams cuz i dont want to be switching my hids on my fogs on and off. and do i also get to keep my drl fuse out for my headlights? and lastly will this set up work with my fog hids?

once again thanks timot for all your help and registering me
fab

Please don't take my comment as an insult I just wanted to make sure that you completely understood what Tim was saying, and didn't have an issue cutting into your wiring. Didn't mean to question you it's just my opinion that if your not comfortable with this type of mod then you should probably steer clear because it has the ability to cause major problems. Good luck and welcome to ECM!!!
fabulous010

fabulous010 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2009, 02:58:42 PM »

eh mike no worries i was just kidding around. i find this forum very usefull and friendly. :D

hey tim what do u mean? the blue wire comes from my fog harness. right? and then the yellow/black wire, is in the steering column and its hooked up to a switch. what switch? i kno i sound dumb but just want a full understanding

thien also check out my reply on the oem shifter
« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 11:18:05 PM by fabulous010 » Logged

timot_one
Farts Dust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2009, 04:32:27 PM »

hey tim what do u mean? the blue wire comes from my fog harness. right?

Okay, I'll try to be a little more clear in my explanation.  I know this stuff can get a bit confusing.  Your fog lights came with two harnesses.  A fog light harness that you install in your engine compartment, and a switch harness that you install in your dash (steps 44-54 in the Honda installation guide).  The blue wire that you cut, will be in the switch harness that is installed in the dash.  You will find the blue wire connected to the plug that connects to the switch.  You cut that wire and basically connect the wire coming from the switch to the yellow/black wire.

and then the yellow/black wire, is in the steering column and its hooked up to a switch. what switch?

The yellow black wire is in the steering column and is part of your ignition harness.  It is connected to the keyswitch (ignition switch).

Hope that helps.  If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

Tim
fabulous010

fabulous010 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2009, 04:40:47 PM »

the blue wire is from my fog switch. pop of steering column cover and attach to yellow black wire... correct?

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 31 Next > Last »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal © 2005-2012