Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 14, 2024, 05:39:34 PM
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: where to mount HID ballast  (Read 4278 times)
fabulous010

Reputation Power: 7
fabulous010 pfffft.
Trade Count: (2)

View Profile
« on: May 14, 2009, 11:48:57 AM »

just looking for some suggestions on best possible spots to mount hid ballast for the headlights...

Abailey4

Reputation Power: 17
Abailey4 pfffft.
Trade Count: (1)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2009, 12:24:07 PM »

My passenger side one is zip tied to the washer fluid bottle even though some say they dont recommend that but mine has been fine so far.  The driver side one is mounted to the frame behind the headlight.

-Derrick & Ashley
Couple from NoVa
Car Domain Profile
timot_one
Farts Dust

I act like I own this place, because I do!

Reputation Power: 140
timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2009, 06:33:55 PM »

I'd find an open spot where the wires reach and zip tie away.  The best place is on the bottom of your actual headlight though.

Tim
Quote from: Andrew Ilnyckyj
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
Knocturnal84

Reputation Power: 4
Knocturnal84 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2009, 06:55:40 PM »

some balast come with a sort of holder well all i did was take the bolt that holds the radiator up off and attached the holder to that.... here are some pics to illustrate it

Sean Artsen
BrianCrower K24
FLCM #6 Tallahassee Subsquad Leader
#6 on the PHI line of the Seshait Chapter of Alpha Rho Chi
fabulous010

Reputation Power: 7
fabulous010 pfffft.
Trade Count: (2)

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2009, 09:41:02 AM »

Quote from: "Knocturnal84"
some balast come with a sort of holder well all i did was take the bolt that holds the radiator up off and attached the holder to that.... here are some pics to illustrate it

that seems like a really good idea. i will try to do the same. i also like tims idea. i have noticed that the TLs and inspire headlights use the bottom of the actual headlight. and i wondered if i could do the same. i will look into both methods. worst case scenario i will zip tie because i dont want to drill into anywhere and you can always relocate them. thanx again

another_person
Fucking Newb

Reputation Power: 0
another_person pfffft.
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2009, 10:27:11 AM »

Quote from: "fabulous010"
... i have noticed that the TLs and inspire headlights use the bottom of the actual headlight. and i wondered if i could do the same. i will look into both methods. worst case scenario i will zip tie because i dont want to drill into anywhere and you can always relocate them. thanx again

pretty much all oem headlights will have the ballast under the headlight. There is a lot of space under there, and it'll also keep them dry and simi away from heat.

jobata23

Reputation Power: 3
jobata23 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2009, 05:09:40 PM »

^^ thats the reason my ballast is located under my headlights

Mark
slipkord
Veteran

Reputation Power: 31
slipkord is almost recognized as human.slipkord is almost recognized as human.slipkord is almost recognized as human.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2009, 07:48:35 PM »

Zip tie? That just seems lame to me, at least throw aome 3M double sticky tape on it.

On an older car of mine I had them under the headlight as well. Keep in mind the ballast emits a lot of heat, keep it away from wires or anything you don't want melted.
timot_one
Farts Dust

I act like I own this place, because I do!

Reputation Power: 140
timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2009, 10:40:49 PM »

Zip ties are more reliable than double sided tape, and my ballasts don't heat up when in use, so they don't melt anything.

Tim
Quote from: Andrew Ilnyckyj
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
Knocturnal84

Reputation Power: 4
Knocturnal84 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2009, 10:24:39 AM »

yeah mine dont emit lots of heat

Sean Artsen
BrianCrower K24
FLCM #6 Tallahassee Subsquad Leader
#6 on the PHI line of the Seshait Chapter of Alpha Rho Chi
clapton924

Reputation Power: 6
clapton924 pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2009, 12:04:03 AM »

My ballasts came with metal brackets.  I was able to use one of the headlight bolts to mount them securely.  For a mental visualization the ballasts are hanging in the same general area as a CAI filter would be on the driver side.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal © 2005-2012