Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 09:02:43 PM
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Power Steering Fluid Leak?  (Read 5062 times)
CYANiDE

Reputation Power: 8
CYANiDE pfffft.
Trade Count: (4)

View Profile
« on: September 26, 2009, 09:30:04 PM »

Went to get my oil changed today and the mechanic noticed that there was oil under the car. We left there assuming it was engine oil and were going to wash the engine bay and take the car back on Friday to see what was up. When we got home, me and my father decided to do some further inspecting, and we now speculate it's power steering fluid. The level of the fluid appears to be right on the line still, but I honestly don't recall what level it was prior to that so I can't say it has stayed the same.

I took a picture and show where some fluid is leaking and I'm 90% sure it's power steering fluid since there is a hose connected from the PSF container to this part.

What is this part called? (Part Circled) Is there something inside that can be easily repaired, like a rubber washer or something?

[Sorry about the cell phone picture quality.]

The area circled is where the leak is coming from, from where those two parts join together. I really hope that's the only place that's leaking but we'll continue to check and take the car back next week anyway just to make sure there also isn't an oil leak.

Eric.
2006 Honda Accord EX 2.4L Sedan
NVA-AV6

Reputation Power: 10
NVA-AV6 pfffft.
Trade Count: (0)

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2009, 10:01:54 PM »

See my post on V6P......

M90SC Boosting 13PSI.....
timot_one
Farts Dust

I act like I own this place, because I do!

Reputation Power: 140
timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2009, 10:16:58 PM »

If you're not losing power steering fluid, then it's not leaking from your power steering pump.

Tim
Quote from: Andrew Ilnyckyj
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
CYANiDE

CYANiDE pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2009, 10:50:11 PM »

Quote from: "NVA-AV6"
See my post on V6P......

Thanks!

Quote from: "timot_one"

If you're not losing power steering fluid, then it's not leaking from your power steering pump.

This good. I can't say I'm not losing power steering fluid because I don't remember if it was at more than the maximum level since I don't think I checked it. (Irresponsible I know). But fluid is leaking from there, it should be power steering fluid correct? Also thats the exact diagram for my model/year etc?

Eric.
CYANiDE

CYANiDE pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2009, 11:37:15 PM »

Nevermind, it is the one for my car. Thank you!

Eric.
timot_one
Farts Dust

timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!timot_one is a god among men!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2009, 01:04:12 AM »

No problem.  Take Paul's advice and keep an eye on your PS fluid level.  If it goes down, you may want to replace that o ring.

Tim
Eating gold is like the equivalent of wiping your butt with dollar bills.  At some point, it's going to come in contact with my ass...just doing it in a more elegant way.
CYANiDE

CYANiDE pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2009, 09:45:29 AM »

It's really cheap so I am replacing it anyway. I hope that fixes my problem. No other fluids should be coming out of there correct?

Eric.
timot_one
Farts Dust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2009, 12:35:18 PM »

No, you should not be leaking any fluids from your PS pump.

Tim
CYANiDE

CYANiDE pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2009, 01:00:51 PM »

Alright. I was also told that my belt looks like it has been in contact with the power steering fluid. There's gunk on the "rollers" so I need to clean that and get a new belt put in.

Eric.
timot_one
Farts Dust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2009, 06:42:04 PM »

If there is no damage to your belt, you can clean it and save some money.

Tim
CYANiDE

CYANiDE pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2009, 06:50:40 PM »

Quote from: "timot_one"
If there is no damage to your belt, you can clean it and save some money.

Well the "rollers" (What's the technical name for 'em?) that the belt goes around, the smooth sides have some melted rubber on them and the belt does appear worn. I am going to fix the leak first before I go and replace the belt.

Eric.
timot_one
Farts Dust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2009, 07:22:00 PM »

They are called pulleys.  If your belt is damaged, cracked, or worn out, replace it.

Tim
CYANiDE

CYANiDE pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2009, 07:48:32 PM »

Belt looks worn out on the right side like shown in the picture. The pulleys have rubber melted onto them so I'd also need to clean that up before putting on the new belt. Trying to see if I can go tomorrow to get that O-Ring.

Eric.
CYANiDE

CYANiDE pfffft.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2009, 12:06:58 PM »

Got the O-Ring and replaced it. Took about 2 minutes. I tightened it extra tight this time and so far so good. Will check it throughout the week to confirm. Thanks for all the help everyone. Once I am sure that the leak has stopped, I'll be cleaning the engine bay and replacing the belt.

Eric.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal © 2005-2012